What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd

Old_Timer

Juniors
Have you been kicked out of your forum? You are bordering on GKD obssession with our club.

Well yes the Newcastle Dragons do have a special place in me old heart. As for the obsession thingy, the drugs are apparently not working.

But come on, you are now openly questioning the utility of Darius. And many of you said, that he was our best player when you lured him from us. In truth during 2010 he probably was, but sadly he has been on a downhill slide ever since. Face it you simply need more Dragons! :D

Mr Fourex

Bench
i agree. i think Boyd as a 5/8th is a complete myth that everyone seems to think will happen at some stage because of Lockyer. Boyd is not Lockyer. Boyd is nothing like Lockyer was as a fullback. nothing at all.

TBH........Boyd is a bit of a myth fullstop.

Your halves will need to start firing (remove Gidley) for Darius to look "kinda" good......

in the QLD team he is merely the catch and score guy on the end of some classy ball movement from his inside backs.

If you're banking on him being the super star try scoring machine.......you'll do your dough.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He's never been a try scoring machine but rather a try setting up machine. He'll start firing when the team does

Spot On

Coach
I'd be happy for his ball returning to improve to its absolute best.

He's never been a try scoring freak ala Stewart or Slater. His strengths lay elsewhere. I think most of us wish we had a genuine no. 7 so Kurt could be used differently.

RABK

Referee
I'm starting to think some have never watched Boyd play before and expected a try a game and length of the field kick returns.

He's always been a 'lethargic' kick returner - he'll 'jog' towards the defensive line and hit the accelerator and footwork 5 metres before meeting them. That's how he has always played and it works for him because he often beats the first defender or two. I think some people watch his kick returns and think he's lazy because he doesn't try and burn around or through defenders ala Slater, Minichiello or Stewart.

Our left fringe is scoring most our points and making most our linebreaks - McManus is in career best form, Tahu is playing his best footy since 2007, Taia is slowly recapturing his true best and Mullen is playing as well as he ever has. Boyd is week by week, training by training drill getting to know these guys like he did Creagh, Soward, Cooper, Morris.

Our left edge is already one of the best attacking edges stat wise this year - they're only going to get better and Boyd has the most improvement in him and deserves time to find it.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Boyd is not a myth... He is a gun player who is probably our most talented after Aku and Mullen. Expectations are just too high at the moment. I know it's cliche but 'class is permanent, form is temporary'

Watch our many bandwagoners are gonna jump on when Darius plays fantastic on sunday.

Well yes the Newcastle Dragons do have a special place in me old heart. As for the obsession thingy, the drugs are apparently not working.

But come on, you are now openly questioning the utility of Darius. And many of you said, that he was our best player when you lured him from us. In truth during 2010 he probably was, but sadly he has been on a downhill slide ever since. Face it you simply need more Dragons! :D
No more Dragons thanks. Just good players who are here to fill a breach. We need a gun centre and halfback. A big bopper is needed too. We get those we can win the comp.

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Juniors
A breach needs filling?????????

There was no mention of this previously. You had the utmost confidence. What happened? Or has it all begun to unravel as I said it would? But you won't admit it yet and I don't expect you to. But after several more rounds, well ........................??????????

Old_Timer

Juniors
Asture observation there Joker. Now where is that lovely young nurse. Time for my back rub!!

Old Timer you seem to think your words are some sort of wind up. They aren't. You failed. Epically in fact. No i am merely stating what most of us have noticed over the last month. We are needing more dominant go forward and a centre who doesn't waste the most lethal option in our arsenal cos they can't pass or get outside their man to create space for him. Aku has been so poorly utilised cos Sau and Wes cannot set him up. The Dragons are of no concern to us.

Yosh

Coach
Benji is pretty amazing I must say. When is he off contract? He should really sign with us...

Joker's Wild

Coach
Marshall? No thanks tbh. Wouldn't be worth the coin with his near continuous brain explosions would frustrate the shit out of me

Old_Timer

Juniors
Old timer, last chance dude. On topic or out.

Thanks for the timely clip over the ear. Henceforth strictly on topic.

Now Darius in my view is being stifled big time, by the lack of creatively of a skilled playmaker inside him (i.e. Hornby and or Soward). Thus he has to make his own decisions. And as you are finding out, he is none to flash at that. Get yourself a good playmaker to put him through the holes, and he will shine once again.

Spot On

Coach
Thanks for the timely clip over the ear. Henceforth strictly on topic.

Now Darius in my view is being stifled big time, by the lack of creatively of a skilled playmaker inside him (i.e. Hornby and or Soward). Thus he has to make his own decisions. And as you are finding out, he is none to flash at that. Get yourself a good playmaker to put him through the holes, and he will shine once again.

I think you'll find that has been a major problem for the team since one A. Johns retired not just since D. Boyd came along for the ride.

Old_Timer

Juniors
I think you'll find that has been a major problem for the team since one A. Johns retired not just since D. Boyd came along for the ride.

So it is a chronic, rather than an acute problem. And Mullen and Gidley are not the answers? No wonder the frustration is clearly evident our Darius's face. Don't you have any up and coming juniors? We would love to help you out but this will be Ben Hornby's last year and Jamie and Kyle aren't going anywhere. Look's a bit bleak then for you lot.