What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Arthur coach for remainder of 2012

natheel

Coach
Good luck to Brad. To me he seems like a take no shit type guy. Hope he gets us a few more wins this year

Delboy

First Grade
Ex Parra junior, went to Canberra I think, coached around the place. Took the Melbourne Storm U20s to a premiership scoring the most tries.

Seven Hills boy, who coaches a team in the juniors as well, he is a decent bloke who takes no nonsense, good luck to him as he puts a lot into the game

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can see it all now

Arthur will take us on a great winning streak till the end of the year and everyone will say the Eels have turned the corner, a la JT

and then along comes Sticky

Gronk

Staff member
BRAD ARTHUR admits the next six matches might be his only shot at being an NRL head coach. So he is planning to use them to ensure it's not.
Arthur has been installed as Parramatta coach for the rest of this season, before NSW coach Ricky Stuart - as seems almost certain - takes over for 2013 and beyond. He will do so not overly bothered that he is keeping the seat warm for another.
''They're tough circumstances, and certainly not the way I would have ever wanted the job, but I am contracted to coach and the club has placed this responsibility on me,'' Arthur said. ''I will look to do my best by the club and players.
''They're a good bunch of boys here. We just need to make sure we're playing for a bit of self pride, and importantly we need to repay the fans. For some of them, it's been hard to walk down the street with the jersey on.''
Arthur addressed his squad on Sunday, the day after the Eels' victory over Melbourne in Stephen Kearney's final match in charge.
He was brought to the Eels by Kearney, having been a Toyota Cup coach and assistant coach at the pair's previous club, Melbourne. Both served apprenticeships under Craig Bellamy, and Arthur admitted being torn by the events of the past few days.
''I had a tear, because he [Kearney] is one of the nicest blokes you'll ever meet,'' Arthur said. ''He gives his all, working around the clock, and at times his family suffered. He gave it his best, but it wasn't working out for him. I'm sure he'll bounce back, as he is a career coach.''
Arthur, who won a Toyota Cup premiership with the Storm in 2009, is also certain that Kearney will not resent the fact that he has - at least temporarily - replaced him.
''He wishes me the best,'' he said. ''He's not a selfish person. He's not hoping we go poorly for the next six weeks, and he's already told me, 'Any time you need to bounce anything off me …'''
In fact, he already has. Arthur spoke to Kearney on Sunday night, ''just to throw around some ideas in regards to the Broncos game [next Monday night]''.
While Arthur, who will be assisted for the rest of the season by Wentworthville's Brett Cook, said he wanted to enjoy his debut matches as a head coach at this level, he was still ambitious enough to say he hopes it might prove to be an audition for himself - as it was for Jason Taylor, who took over the Eels in similar circumstances in 2006.
''I've coached 20s at the Storm, and I've enjoyed having control of my own team,'' Arthur said. ''I'd love to get a chance to do that [on a permanent basis]. That might be a little way off, so I will focus on the next six weeks. I'll just see what happens.
''I don't know what sort of opportunities are out there. If I work really hard and be honest and upfront … I know I've got the respect of the players, but I need to keep their respect.''
He describes himself as an ''intense'' coach, a trait that no doubt comes partly as a result of his time with Bellamy. Arthur said he ''wouldn't be here today'' without Bellamy, who he spoke briefly to on Saturday night, after the Eels' upset win.
''The biggest thing with Craig and the players down there is there's no substitute for hard work,'' Arthur said. ''I'm a firm believer in that. But I just want to enjoy it over the next six weeks and not focus on what may occur after that. Who knows? This might be the only six weeks I get. I want to learn from it. Then, if after that, I get to continue coaching under someone like Ricky, then that will be a good result.''
http://www.lakesmail.com.au/news/na...ach-throws-for-a-six/2633389.aspx?storypage=0

Gronk

Staff member
Brad Arthur's incredible journey to the Parramatta Eels' top job

362257-brad-arthur.jpg

New Eels caretaker coach Brad Arthur and his road trip to Parramatta. Source: The Daily Telegraph

EELS caretaker coach Brad Arthur knows the lot about seasons from hell. And believe it or not, his most excruciating lesson didn't come at Parramatta this year.

Appointed for the final six games in the wake of Steve Kearney's axing, Arthur overcame a nightmare initiation to earn this brief chance at the highest level.
It came in 1997 - his season as captain-coach of the Batemans Bay Tigers.
"We didn't win a game all season," Arthur revealed yesterday. "I remember I was out for a few weeks with a busted knee and we even got beat 100-something to four."
He was just 22 years old at the time; with the Eels junior having abandoned his dream of reaching first grade the previous season.
"I played lock or second row with Parramatta SG Ball and U21s, but I was probably a bit too small and slow," Arthur said. "Royce Simmons was coaching Penrith and I went there for a few seasons, before he advised me that I probably wasn't going to make it in first grade. It was tough to hear, but I prefer honesty.
"He organised the captain-coach job with Batemans Bay, but I was probably too young and didn't have the best attitude. The second year I felt a bit more comfortable and we turned things around and ended up making the finals."
It was the reversal of fortune that set Arthur on a trajectory to the top - via Cairns Brothers and Melbourne Storm. Brothers patriach Bob Mulley recalled how Arthur paid his own airfare to the far north for a personal reconnaissance after the club advertised for a new captain-coach in Rugby League Week.
He got the job, hung around for eight seasons and delivered four premierships from six grand final appearances.
"Brad was such a tough player who never expected anything from his players that he wasn't personally prepared to do," Mulley said.
"He even played in our 2002 grand final win on one leg with a torn hamstring."
Arthur, now 38, added: "It was in Cairns that I started dreaming of making it as a first grade coach.
"I might not have been good enough to make it as a player, but I thought I might have a chance as a coach. "I didn't really have anything to fall back on, all I'd done is a horticulture apprenticeship."
Arthur cracked the NRL system in 2007, when a mutual friend recommended him to Craig Bellamy as Melbourne's inaugural Toyota Cup coach.
He won the NYC title in 2009, before being elevated to Bellamy's NRL staff alongside Kearney the following season.
A year later the two Storm assistants were in charge at Parramatta and now Arthur, whose sons Jake and Matt are also the first grade ball boys, has completed a full circle.
"I addressed the players and said I just wanted two things from them for the last six games," he said.
"They need to be able to look at themselves with pride and make our fans proud too."
Arthur said he never considered joining Kearney out the door, but understands there's no long-term guarantees despite being contracted as an assistant coach next year.

"Steve actually apologised to me, but there was no need for that," Arthur said. "We owed him the apology."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...tta-eels-top-job/story-e6frfgdx-1226433378989

Stagger eel

Staff member
I genuinely hope he stays at the club..if not drag Joey Grima back, I just feel we need a Parramatta feel to our coaching staff but then again, what would I know..

Grail

Juniors
good luck brad he is certainly being thrown in at the deep end lets hope he can rise to the challenge just as jt did

I actually think he's being thrown in the shallow end.

If the eels get lapped for the next six weeks, then bad luck Brad, we know they're a shit team, look how it worked out for Kearney.

If on the other hand, we win a few games, or heaven's above win most of them, then he's seen as a genius.

the team can't go lower, so it won't look bad on him, only good if we do turn the corner.

I actually think he's being thrown in the shallow end.

If the eels get lapped for the next six weeks, then bad luck Brad, we know they're a shit team, look how it worked out for Kearney.

If on the other hand, we win a few games, or heaven's above win most of them, then he's seen as a genius.

the team can't go lower, so it won't look bad on him, only good if we do turn the corner.

i know nobody expects us to win especially with kearney leaving i just meant he has a massive job to do just to get the players minds focused on the games ahead instead of all the off field dramas