What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

breaking news; Rangi Chase

Shorty

Staff member
Were Kiwis disgusted when Fien defected? I feel like this is almost exactly the same thing.
Fien was never going to get an Australian call up, but he had Kiwi heritage and made a decision to better his career.
Same with Rangi.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm pretty sure most of them were, I wasn't particularly bothered about it all just like I'm not with this.

WireMan

Bench
The sh*tness of the comp and running rings around sub standard defenders helped him develop indeed.

So you agree we developed him? :D

Looking at the NZ team how many were developed in NZ? They are very lucky they can piggy back on Aussie training camps to improve them.

hutch

First Grade
Were Kiwis disgusted when Fien defected? I feel like this is almost exactly the same thing.
Fien was never going to get an Australian call up, but he had Kiwi heritage and made a decision to better his career.
Same with Rangi.

Fien doesn't qualify for nz through heritage, he qualifies through residency from when he played at the warriors. Same deal as chase.

deluded pom?

Coach
Let's just stop this pretence at "international sport" and simply play SLE v NRL because that's the road we're driving down.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Uate in an Australian junior. Played every game he's ever played here. I know he's black but they are allowed to play for Australia you know.

Chase is a Kiwi who was never good enough to play for New Zealand. Sounds like he's over-qualified for Ingerlund.

Hypocracy is turning you into a very foul mouthed little bigot isn't it?

I love the fact that any Polynesian player must be a foreign player in the eyes of a lot
of UK fans.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
So you agree we developed him? :D

Looking at the NZ team how many were developed in NZ? They are very lucky they can piggy back on Aussie training camps to improve them.

Adam Blair -Northland Rugby and League,
Lewis Brown - Christchurch,
Kieran Foran - Auckland,
Alex Glenn - Auckland,
Thomas Leuluai - Warriors,
Kevin Locke - Warriors,
Shaun Johnson - Warriors,
Issac Luke - Wellington,
Sam McKendry - Northland,
Simon Mannering - Wellington,
Sika Manu - Wellington,
Steve Matai - Auckland,
Ben Matulino - Warriors,
Fuifui Moimoi - Auckland,
Russell Packer - Warriors,
Manu Vatuvei - Warriors.

Not bad considering 16 out of the 23 man squad have come through playing League in NZ. Yes, several were signed by NRL clubs but the majority of them were already in the NZRL development system (NJC).

The NZRL development system has gone remarkably professional since then - last weeks NZ U18's victory over the Aus Sch Boys shows this. Look at the JNR Kiwi squad - 80% of the players selected are from the NZRL/Warriors system.

I have nothing wrong with what England have done, its just funny how he says he is commited to England, yet 4 months ago he was talking up playing for the Kiwis. Its a shame, England reaks of desperation (like the Kiwis have before), i honestly think England look better with home grown players. They take to develop - look at the Kiwis from 2007 and 2009. It paid dividens in 2008 and 2010.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Adam Blair -Northland Rugby and League,
Lewis Brown - Christchurch,
Kieran Foran - Auckland,
Alex Glenn - Auckland,
Thomas Leuluai - Warriors,
Kevin Locke - Warriors,
Shaun Johnson - Warriors,
Issac Luke - Wellington,
Sam McKendry - Northland,
Simon Mannering - Wellington,
Sika Manu - Wellington,
Steve Matai - Auckland,
Ben Matulino - Warriors,
Fuifui Moimoi - Auckland,
Russell Packer - Warriors,
Manu Vatuvei - Warriors.

Not bad considering 16 out of the 23 man squad have come through playing League in NZ. Yes, several were signed by NRL clubs but the majority of them were already in the NZRL development system (NJC).

The NZRL development system has gone remarkably professional since then - last weeks NZ U18's victory over the Aus Sch Boys shows this. Look at the JNR Kiwi squad - 80% of the players selected are from the NZRL/Warriors system.

I have nothing wrong with what England have done, its just funny how he says he is commited to England, yet 4 months ago he was talking up playing for the Kiwis. Its a shame, England reaks of desperation (like the Kiwis have before), i honestly think England look better with home grown players. They take to develop - look at the Kiwis from 2007 and 2009. It paid dividens in 2008 and 2010.

You make some good points.
However I wouldnt try and take a shot at Rangi .. .. if a maori boy who just gets awarded Man Of Steel DOESNT WANT TO PLAY FOR NZ . .. thats falls on the Kiwis or NZRL.

Maybe NZRL needs to give selected SL footage . .. or maybe buy them a mysky and series book of SL games.

Its NZRL job . .. to be in discussion with NZ top players wherever they maybe.
I hear they do lots of good camps throughout Australia

Rangi is a Junior Kiwi - dropped out of school early age - came from a small province and battled his way to be where he is.

Of Course he wants to play for the kiwis- he already has stated his desire to play for the Kiwis as you mention.
Perhaps the Kiwis / NZRL told him he wont get selected either on his talent or
He has committed longterm to the tigers/esl.
he has to play in the NRL (which would be crap).

or even worse they havent event talked to him all.
His team gets kicked out and there is no mention of him in the train-on squad and no contact.
I would say F them aswell.
Hopefully if it wasnt the last - if so it would be extremely amateur.
probably was the case though.

The Bloke gets Man of Steel - effectively meaning he is the best player in the competition surely he warrants regular or any contact.

We all know the kiwis/nzrl can spend all that time to try and CONVERT fringe-Australian born (kiwi heritage).

That would be my questions to the NZ football manager or CEO or board.
Whoever looks after that.

Finally I AGREE RE: England.
They might aswell take the red cross of their flag - because they are giving up.

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
You make some good points.
However I wouldnt try and take a shot at Rangi .. .. if a maori boy who just gets awarded Man Of Steel DOESNT WANT TO PLAY FOR NZ . .. thats falls on the Kiwis or NZRL.

Maybe NZRL needs to give selected SL footage . .. or maybe buy them a mysky and series book of SL games.

Its NZRL job . .. to be in discussion with NZ top players wherever they maybe.
I hear they do lots of good camps throughout Australia

Rangi is a Junior Kiwi - dropped out of school early age - came from a small province and battled his way to be where he is.

Of Course he wants to play for the kiwis- he already has stated his desire to play for the Kiwis as you mention.
Perhaps the Kiwis / NZRL told him he wont get selected either on his talent or
He has committed longterm to the tigers/esl.
he has to play in the NRL (which would be crap).

or even worse they havent event talked to him all.
His team gets kicked out and there is no mention of him in the train-on squad and no contact.
I would say F them aswell.
Hopefully if it wasnt the last - if so it would be extremely amateur.
probably was the case though.

The Bloke gets Man of Steel - effectively meaning he is the best player in the competition surely he warrants regular or any contact.

We all know the kiwis/nzrl can spend all that time to try and CONVERT fringe-Australian born (kiwi heritage).

That would be my questions to the NZ football manager or CEO or board.
Whoever looks after that.

Finally I AGREE RE: England.
They might aswell take the red cross of their flag - because they are giving up.

You bring up so very good points, i have followed Rangi since he was on Ngati NRL as i am from the Manawatu too. I have always rated him, and last years preformance for the NZ Moari against England, should have got him a look in to the Kiwis squad. Unfortuntly, having the best attacking five eight in the world in the Kiwis has not helped Rangis chances. Now throw in Kieran Foran (who is rated by Australians as the best young half in the game), we finaly have depth in this poisition.

I do think we will hit a time when both benji and Foran are injured, and we will be in trouble.

The thing with Rangi is that he is getting better with age..good luck to him, he has made a big call - I will still be suprised to see him get a match for England this year. Widdop should have that number 6 jumper in his hands already.

Fien doesn't qualify for nz through heritage, he qualifies through residency from when he played at the warriors. Same deal as chase.

initially he qualified thru his imaginary Kiwi grandma. At least the Poms haven't stooped that low. Any Kiwi having a go at the Poms for selecting Chase is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Wilson1

Juniors
suppose its a bit like Henry Paul and Shontayne Hape playing union for England ?

Paul has an English grand father and Hape had been in England for six years. Similar but slightly more palatable.

initially he qualified thru his imaginary Kiwi grandma. At least the Poms haven't stooped that low. Any Kiwi having a go at the Poms for selecting Chase is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Not if Kiwis also criticize both Fien and the NZRL for that.