What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Without_a_Spoon

Juniors
Stewart and Watmough were both reprimanded by the NRL because of the alcohol, not the sexual assault. They were true and correct punishments issued in a previous season and I don't understand why an apology would be necessary when they did muck up.

But in terms of Stewart, it has come out in the trial he was in full control of his actions. Given this, what did the NRL base their suspension on? bullsh*t media reports which turned out to be false?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
But in terms of Stewart, it has come out in the trial he was in full control of his actions. Given this, what did the NRL base their suspension on? bullsh*t media reports which turned out to be false?
There is video footage from the season launch that has been replayed umpteen times over the last few weeks in which he is seen drinking.

Full control of his actions? Are you suggesting he was completely sober?

Rodent

Bench
The jury found not guilty. I wonder if there was a civil case and not a criminal case what the verdict would be. It is a lot more difficult to find a guilty verdict beyond reasonable doubt when a custodial sentence is at the end of it. With a balance of probability verdict and a payout, I wonder if the verdict would be the same?

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
There is video footage from the season launch that has been replayed umpteen times over the last few weeks in which he is seen drinking.

I bet every player at every season launch had a drink in their hands.

Without_a_Spoon

Juniors

That doesn't mean he didn't have control of his actions.
sh*t! I saw David Gallop have a glass of alcohol at the Dally M's in 2009. By your theory he should have been suspended for 4 weeks for drinking at an NRL function, which meant he wasn't completely sober. So why was he allowed to hand the trophy to the Storm less then a month later?

Eels Dude

Coach
Some, and I repeat some, Manly fans are pathetic. What kind of democracy would we be living in if someone acquitted if sexual assault could just go and sue their accuser afterwards. You may as well make rape and sexual assault legal if that's the case.

Gmac

Juniors
I doubt Brett will be pursuing anything else in the courts. Woudlnt you just want to move on? Plus apart from her having a dodgy father who no doubt had a big part to play in all this how do u proove she faked it? Does her condition plus a manipulative ddogy father make her think something really did happen? Just cant see how theyd proove it..

Anyway we have our fullback back. Hope he gets over this and his injuries and is still the player he was 2 years ago.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Some, and I repeat some, Manly fans are pathetic. What kind of democracy would we be living in if someone acquitted if sexual assault could just go and sue their accuser afterwards. You may as well make rape and sexual assault legal if that's the case.

I don't think many are suggesting that, rather, certain media accusations and the double standards of the NRL on Stewart being 'drunk' at the season launch.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh god, "every player drinks" as a defence...

So he wasn't drunk when he went home?

Without_a_Spoon

Juniors
Well no, he wasn't. That's been suggested in the trial.
I'm not for one second suggesting he sue her by any means. That would deter people from making serious allegations. It is important to remember he has been found not guilty, not 'innocent.'

DeeJ

Bench
Is Brett Stewart still injured? After all this court nonsense is finally over I just want to see him play again.

winnyason

Juniors
Some, and I repeat some, Manly fans are pathetic. What kind of democracy would we be living in if someone acquitted if sexual assault could just go and sue their accuser afterwards. You may as well make rape and sexual assault legal if that's the case

Yeah just like sacking a coach for underperforming over paid wankers EG Hayne 1 good game every 4 does not make you a superstar he has not done a thing won a nrl title, state of origin or world cup.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah just like sacking a coach for underperforming over paid wankers EG Hayne 1 good game every 4 does not make you a superstar he has not done a thing won a nrl title, state of origin or world cup.

No idea what you're talking and why that's relevant at all :?

Dutchy

Immortal
I would be all for Stewart having a crack at the DT for all their lies and false "facts" they printed when the news first broke.