What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Did the DPP and the police feel pressure to bring these charges? Honestly this was a weak case from the start and It leaves me wondering if he would have been charged if not a footy player.

DJShaksta

First Grade
The only one that knows what really happened is the girl.
She is either telling the whole truth, the part truth, or no truth at all, but as I said, she is the only person that know what happened that night.

RABK

Referee
Welcome back to the NSW 1 snake. We might actually have a chance with the likes of Stewart, Hayne, Uate, Carney, Pearce, Farah etc all together.

Talons

Juniors
The only one that knows what really happened is the girl.
She is either telling the whole truth, the part truth, or no truth at all, but as I said, she is the only person that know what happened that night.

I have know problems with what you are trying to say but I would suggest that the accused was also there at the time so I would imagine that he has some idea of what happened, unless you don't think he is entitled to an opinion ?

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Did the DPP and the police feel pressure to bring these charges? Honestly this was a weak case from the start and It leaves me wondering if he would have been charged if not a footy player.

BINGO!!

Lets hope Stewart can move on from this and gets his knees right, I would love to see him scoring tries and throwing freakish passes again next year.

MSIH

Bench
Was stoked when I first heard it, but there was never any doubt. Still can't believe it went to trial.

Now who's going to give him his 2 years back?

lockyno1

Post Whore
What a surprise, as if you were going to get a verdict with a criminal father and a known perennial liar daughter. Seriously whoever brought the charges up should be sent to the mental clinic!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Welcome back to the NSW 1 snake. We might actually have a chance with the likes of Stewart, Hayne, Uate, Carney, Pearce, Farah etc all together.

:lol:
he has barely played in 2 years. Lets wait and see what happens when he's on the paddock, and even then he'll have to out play the best fullback in the game - J.Dugan... good luck snake, you'll need it

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
he has barely played in 2 years. Lets wait and see what happens when he's on the paddock, and even then he'll have to out play the best fullback in the game - J.Dugan... good luck snake, you'll need it
No he won't Bozo still selects.

There also has to be a Manly prop.

Cletus

First Grade
I doubt Brett will be pursuing anything else in the courts. Woudlnt you just want to move on? Plus apart from her having a dodgy father who no doubt had a big part to play in all this how do u proove she faked it? Does her condition plus a manipulative ddogy father make her think something really did happen? Just cant see how theyd proove it..

Anyway we have our fullback back. Hope he gets over this and his injuries and is still the player he was 2 years ago.

It's very possible her condition made her think it had happened. I can't see anyone getting sued, some sort of statement from Gallop would make sense though given that Stewart was removed from the NRL advertising and dragged through the mud. And the fine and suspension were clearly related to this case and very little to do with drinking too much.

RABK

Referee

Might be easy for you to forget what Stewart was like at his prime but i certainly haven't forgotten.

There is doubts upon his return, but I'll back him to get back to his best by Origin time. I wouldn't be disappointed with Dugan at fullback but Stewart at his best is a class above and only Slater matches him as the best fullback of the last 5 years.

Cletus

First Grade

Depends on how Stewart plays next season but he'd have to play well to get past Dugan.

The Tank

Bench
Might be easy for you to forget what Stewart was like at his prime but i certainly haven't forgotten.

There is doubts upon his return, but I'll back him to get back to his best by Origin time. I wouldn't be disappointed with Dugan at fullback but Stewart at his best is a class above and only Slater matches him as the best fullback of the last 5 years.

Agreed. I'd rate Slater as the best fullback of modern RL however Stewart was/is right up there. Duges is one for the future aswell.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
i hope the NRL are keeping a close eye on who is paying for Stewart seeing initial reports said Manly hired his lawyer

http://www.news.com.au/national/cle...rt-to-sell-story/story-e6frfkvr-1225932032475

Cleared NRL star Brett Stewart forced to sell story

NRL poster boy Brett Stewart is in negotiations to sell his story after spending his lifesavings on defending sexual assault allegations in court.

The Manly Sea Eagles rugby league player was yesterday found not guilty in a Sydney court of two counts of sexually assaulting a teenage neighbour outside his unit block in Manly, in Sydney's north, on March 6 last year, The Australian reported.
Stewart, 25, burst into tears when the jury's verdict was announced, ending 18 months of anxiety for the fullback, his beauty therapist girlfriend Jaime Baker and his parents, Barry and Narelle, who sat beside him in the NSW District Court.
Stewart and his family, including brother and fellow Sea Eagles player Glenn Stewart, left court via a rear exit, evading the cameras and guaranteeing an exclusive story for the highest bidder.

The Nine Network last night promoted what it billed as an exclusive interview with Stewart to run on The Footy Show tonight.

Sources close to the player said Stewart, who is understood to earn about $400,000 a year, spent his lifesavings on defending the case and was now hoping to recoup some of the money.
Stewart employed Tony Bellanto QC and legal sources say the top silk, along with a junior barrister and instructing solicitor, would cost almost $200,000 for the 10-day trial and two-day committal hearing.
The only person to speak outside court on behalf of Stewart was his solicitor, Ian Byrne. "This was a case of a girl with hallucinations and delusions," Mr Byrne said.
The woman, now 19, alleged she was approached by a drunken Stewart who stuck his tongue down her throat and digitally penetrated her.

But in Stewart's version, which the jury believed, the girl grabbed him by the arm and tried to kiss him.
Yesterday's verdict brought an end to 18 months of hell for the one time face of rugby league.
Stewart sat in the beechwood dock of the District Court for the past two weeks, quietly seething that he was there at all.

Because what Stewart knows - but a court order prevents any media outlet from revealing - is that there have always been severe doubts about the veracity of the claims made against him, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The girl who made the allegations suffers from a mental illness but the extent of her condition, treatment and her symptoms cannot be published by court order.

Trial Judge Jonathan Williams felt it necessary to urge the jury in his summing up of the case to tread carefully when weighing up the reliability of the teenager's testimony in light of her psychiatric condition.

Her father's evidence also drew stunned looks from the jury - a convicted fraudster who the judge described as a "volatile man" happily admitted to the court that he once had to "look in his wallet" to work out which name he was using on any given day.

lol Stewart jumping right back into the NSW No.1 Jersey. He's in the same position Minichiello was when he missed large chunks of the season

He'll be a good back up to Dugan, but he's not in the same class and never will be