What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

cupid

Juniors
It is not entirely bad for us if Manly cut ties with him if he is found guilty, He is starting to show he is very injury prone and may never be the same player he was, it would also free up some coin to buy another star back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't, no matching DNA and a witness that done time for fraud, plus he is entitled to that presumption of innocence.

Is there a precedent for standing players down that are facing trial for sexual assault? I know the AFL have done it, have we in the past? Was Bird stood down before the trial or after?

eagles4eva

First Grade
It is not entirely bad for us if Manly cut ties with him if he is found guilty, He is starting to show he is very injury prone and may never be the same player he was, it would also free up some coin to buy another star back.

Manly would have to cut him loose should he be found guilty, fan and sponsor pressure, plus all the bad press it would generate.

nz eagle

Juniors
the trial will be over before hes back on the paddock anyway, hes out to round 20.

I hope Stewart's girlfriend is going to give her description of the incident, as this will give a balanced eyewitness account.

In all honesty non of us know what happened, so lets wait for the outcome, should only be a month away.

Eels Dude

Coach
Is there a precedent for standing players down that are facing trial for sexual assault? I know the AFL have done it, have we in the past? Was Bird stood down before the trial or after?

It was Cronulla who stood him down. Only after that did the NRL de-register him. The NRL have only really taken action after the club has made their decision.

eagles4eva

First Grade
the trial will be over before hes back on the paddock anyway, hes out to round 20.

I hope Stewart's girlfriend is going to give her description of the incident, as this will give a balanced eyewitness account.

In all honesty non of us know what happened, so lets wait for the outcome, should only be a month away.

I hope your right, either way will be good to see the end of this

johns_reds

First Grade
meaning its taken over 12 months for this:

NRL star Brett Stewart has been committed to stand trial over the alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old neighbour.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Paul Cloran in the Downing Centre Local Court found today that there was enough evidence in the case for a jury to decide Stewart’s guilt or innocence.

So how long will it take to charge or dismiss the charges????

This isn't law and order tv series, cases take months to appear before the court, sometimes up to a year as in this instance, i think the timeframe on this particular case has been pretty standard to be honest.

jc155776

Coach

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FMD next you will be telling me that someones Mum is a good alibi.

A mate of mine who is a detective, told me that DNA evidence is not as cut and dried like a CSI or Cold Case episode would have you believe.

It is more unlikely than likely that you actually get a usable sample, meaning that a lot of cases can not rely on the utility of it.

When it is available, it is therefore obviously a powerful tool in tying an offender to a crime.

Court hearings don't go to criminal trials frivously, so I would imagine there would be more than the word of a Dad with fraudulent history versus Stewart.

There may well be other witnesses, as well as other physical trauma evidence consistent with the complaints.

It will be interesting nonetheless -perhaps, only the girl in question knows what happened for certain (if Stewart was too blind).

For this reason, all our presumptions of guilt or innocence are just that - unfounded presumptions.

If it is proved in a court of law that he did it - then he deserves to be punished.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i bet Ten News will say something stupid like "we tried to seek comment from David Gallop but he failed to return our calls"

this story will have Bill Woods and the red headed Victorian doing cartwheels

Ulysseus

Bench
It's people like you that made OJ innocent:roll:

I am willing to let the guy remain innocent till proven guilty.
Its at the very least a lot less of a load of sh*t then a certain other persons recent weaseling out of a conviction for a crime he most probably did commit.

Last edited:
but wouldn't the DNA test have shown up as positive then?
if there was any penetration of her (by finger, tongue or penis) wouldn't that have shown up on the DNA test?

also hard to take the word of a convicted fraudster/liar

Given that he allegedly stuck his finger/s in her, I'm not sure if that would necessarily leave DNA behind, particularly if he groped her through her undies.

God-King Dean

Immortal
The man said that, during the confrontation with Stewart, the player's girlfriend Jaime Baker had emerged from his house and said "not again" while pointing to his trousers and his belt, which was undone.

lol, that always cracks me up.

squiddy

Juniors
It's pretty disgraceful that the telecrap have a photo of Stewart with "I didn't touch her, bro" plastered over it. Those were the father's words, not Stewart's....

You sure ? Way I read it was they were Stewarts words to the father