What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Johnston quits

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bj had all of the qualifications, management, mbas and every corporate and pr skill ever known and he still managed to throw the club into the dumpster.
I think you'll find the Club had already venture into skip territory before he was appointed
if he disagreed with the board”s decisions, he should have manned up and quit ages ago.
lol, he was only there for one season. Should have quit "ages ago?" What's an "age" in your books?

I'm ready to criticise the Club, but ffs let's keep it real.

Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. The people who wanted BJ gone seem to be the ones most upset.

Old Timer

Coach
Some times you just don't know a job is going to turn out shit until you actually get into it.
I am sure that almost all of us if confronted with that reality would not cut off our nose despite tour face and instantly resign.
Rather we would do what was required of us and in the meantime work out the exit plan that suited us most.
I am not saying for sure this is what happened but it would be a fair chance that it may have something to do with the way this has played out.
People can talk about the fans and stakeholders all they like but the CEO was neither appointed by or reports to any of them and his employment is controlled by the BOD even to the point that if the BOD ask the CEO for his "vision or plan" and they don't like it they sent that person back to the drawing board or out the door. The CEO is totally hamstrung by the BOD.
The stakeholders as such get to vote for the BOD who incidentally are the people the punters "place their trust" in to make decisions on our behalf such as the CEO etc etc.
Blame BJ all you like but he is the wrong person to blame and in fact we should blame ourselves because we still allow the BOD to wield their unbridled power in decision making that so often makes us despondent.
No memberships and no people at games is what we can do but no instead of that we want a whipping boy and this time it is BJ.
We do what we do re memberships and watching games as do other StGI supporters that don't bother with this place all in the hope that tomorrow it will change and all will be hunky dory and unfortunately that will never be the case.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
https://au.linkedin.com/in/brian-johnston-83258536

Personally, I’d say the “about” section illustrates Johnston’s leadership skills rather well.

Certainly sounds competent. After reading his resume I am leaning towards the theory that his departure is more about a dysfunctional StGI board and management structure, and his consequental inability to bring about meaningful change.

I remember when Ansett went down the gurgler. The CEO was interviewed as to why he didn't do something to stop it. His response was during his tenure he went to the board with six different plans to turn the company around, and all were rejected.

If the board are intransigent a CEO will have his hands tied. In that respect maybe Johnston isn't hard nosed enough, or maybe the board just want a yes man in the role to take the heat. I still maintain we need a good front man to encourage sponsors, TPA's and membership.

Trouble between the two factions in the committee apparently.
CC

If that's the case (which would be totally unsurprising to nearly all of us), the anti-Mary* faction (noting, of course, the differences would extend beyond just head coach issues) needs to grow a pair and become ruthless. If that means, for example, damaging leaks, so be it. If hopeless Johnston was better than his record suggests but hit factional roadblocks, he should be singing like a bird. There's nothing unethical in that, it's for the good of the club.

*wanted to call it St George faction but I like Muzby.

Straight Shooter

Bj has timed his departure to the jdb outcome, that’s a poor decision as this wonderful player’s guilt or innocence has nothing to do with the role and function of a ceo per se.

The better position for bj and the club would have been for bj to simply ask the club as to the best timing for the club for his exit.

I presume that would be when a new ceo is ready to take the reins.

This is quite basic managerial succession planning. He must have missed this lecture.

since77

Juniors
Certainly sounds competent. After reading his resume I am leaning towards the theory that his departure is more about a dysfunctional StGI board and management structure, and his consequental inability to bring about meaningful change.

I remember when Ansett went down the gurgler. The CEO was interviewed as to why he didn't do something to stop it. His response was during his tenure he went to the board with six different plans to turn the company around, and all were rejected.

If the board are intransigent a CEO will have his hands tied. In that respect maybe Johnston isn't hard nosed enough, or maybe the board just want a yes man in the role to take the heat. I still maintain we need a good front man to encourage sponsors, TPA's and membership.

Good riddance to him. Any CEO who says publicly that McGregor’s coaching performance this year gets “a pass mark” is way out of his depth.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Good riddance to him. Any CEO who says publicly that McGregor’s coaching performance this year gets “a pass mark” is way out of his depth.

THIS.

Forget all the qualifications,
forget that he’s a good bloke.

To say that a coach, who had a very good roster, and achieves a new low for the club in so many ways, gets a ‘pass mark’ tells everybody that he’s out of touch.

THIS.

Forget all the qualifications,
forget that he’s a good bloke.

To say that a coach, who had a very good roster, and achieves a new low for the club in so many ways, gets a ‘pass mark’ tells everybody that he’s out of touch.

Its like giving a pass mark Hillary Clinton for her magnificent 2016 us election campaign.

A pass mark for the Japanese decision to bomb Pearl Harbour. Good call that one.

A pass mark for the nrls no-fault stand down policy. Very fair, upstanding and righteous it is- punishing people who are still legally innocent- plus their families friends and clubs. Tick.

TruSaint

Referee
Its like giving a pass mark Hillary Clinton for her magnificent 2016 us election campaign.

A pass mark for the Japanese decision to bomb Pearl Harbour. Good call that one.

A pass mark for the nrls no-fault stand down policy. Very fair, upstanding and righteous it is- punishing people who are still legally innocent- plus their families friends and clubs. Tick.

Overkill in your comparisons.

TruSaint

Referee
If you think honestly believe fester deserves a “pass mark” then I guess that’s a matter for you.

Where did I say that ?
Show me one post please.
Just keep the conversation in context, and not bullsgit like US elections and the second world war.

Its a footy matter. Keep it at that.
No more no less.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So many experts in one place. We should be joining forces to bring about world peace.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Trouble between the two factions in the committee apparently.
CC
It has been growing for some time. The old days of the St George board (since the 1960s) basically went along consensus lines. Quite conservative and sometimes detrimental, but the notion of having a split board was unheard of.