What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back the Bears and rugby league’s lost soul

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/bring-back-the-bears-and-rugby-leagues-lost-soul/

Bring back the Bears and rugby league’s lost soul

by Joe Hockey

03 Jun 04:53pm

As a youngster I used to catch the bus to North Sydney Oval on a Saturday to watch my local team get flogged.

It was like confession for a Catholic – you knew you had to go and you knew what the outcome would be, but somehow you also knew that it was good for you.

Rugby League was always the working man’s sport.

The battlers in battle. No fancy words or glitz or glamour. Real people, with local jobs, in competition with each other.

The Bears played for my community, my neighbours and my friends. Giving all and losing with disgust was part of the event. Starting the season with a customary first round loss and walking out of the ground knowing “there is always next year” made for great community banter if not rugby league legend.

As kids we emulated our heroes, both from Norths and other teams.

Artie Beetson with the round-the- corner pass or John Gray with the round- the- corner goal kick. (I couldn’t pass like “half-a-game” Artie, but by God I at least looked like him more than the other kids)
I still have late night yarns with my mates as we recall all the names of the 1974 Eastern Suburbs Premiership team.

Each winter we would stand under old fig tree at Bear Park and watch our warriors graze their skin on the concrete surface that for years masqueraded as a first class arena. Sharp wits with a meat pie in hand and tomato sauce dribbling down their chin would always pay out on a visiting team, particularly if they had the misfortune of congregating inside the dead goal area after a rare North’s try.

On a Sunday night the family would watch Big League with Rex Mossop. I have an enduring memory of Rex, with the Lidcombe Oval railway line behind him, wax on about the impressive display from his beloved silvertails.

Usually an all-in melee between the fibros and their arch-enemies from the northern beaches led to much discussion on Controversy Corner the following week, just before they gave away a Meapro ham to some lucky punter.

Good memories for me – they were tough men.

I still love the game, and it is in my bones. But I miss the tribalism.

When television took over rugby league I not only lost my team, I lost my faith in the game.

The game is much faster today and the players are more finely tuned athletes. The tackles are harder and the injuries more severe.

Rugby League remains an impressive television spectacle. But my concern for the game is that it has lost its mojo. No longer do the players come from all walks of life. There is not a butcher, baker
or candlestick maker among them – they are all just a relatively homogenous mass of professional football players.

Their image is managed to the minute and their behaviour is expected to be as pristine as their salaries are large.

Do I feel sorry for modern players? No way. They get half the public scrutiny of a politician and three times an MP’s salary.

I feel sorry for the fans. We have endured much over the years despite some great moments on the field.

Let’s not expect too much of our players. They are not poets, singers, entertainers or erudite commentators. They are young men growing up quickly on massive salaries with high expectations.

And if kids are inspired by great deeds on the field then those deeds will be spontaneous and generous – like helping an opponent in distress after a big hit or patting an opponent on the back with
congratulations after an unbelievable try.

I don’t know if my Bears will ever come out of hibernation. It’s all academic really. They will live in a different forest and it will be a new generation of cubs that will carry the day.

But if you can’t bring back my Bears ….then let’s at least try to find the mojo of the game we love.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Read the article before I took note of who penned it. Wondered why he brought up pollies, but otherwise a good read.

He is right about the mojo stuff, they're all relatively the same size who can all run roughly the same distance at a pace that is quite quick. When you have wingers the same size as forwards it takes away from the specifics of the position

Yeah, let's all melt back to the 1970's when players played for the love of the game and held down a 40 hour a week job as well as playing. Just toss the current rosters of all 16 teams into the bin and start signing blokes who'll play for $200 per win, 50 per loss, 100 per draw.

I'll get my boots.

f**king hippie.

Green Machine

First Grade
Joe Hockey loved Rugby League that much, he played Union. Sound like a bit of Peter Fitzsimons bullsh*t stereotyping in there,

Hass

Juniors
Joe Hockey loved Rugby League that much, he played Union. Sound like a bit of Peter Fitzsimons bullsh*t stereotyping in there,

Many a passionate Rugby League man has played other codes of football.

My father grew up in Dundas and became a Parramatta fan. As a young man he moved to Coogee and ended up playing for Randwick in the lower grades. He'd still get out to the Sports Ground or Cumberland Oval to watch Parra if they were playing on a Sunday.

It's hardly shocking that someone growing up on the North Shore would play Union. All the more power to them for following League as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quite apt, a walk down memory lane and lets face it it is looking more and more likely memories are all the Bears are ever going to have.

ps I am sick of the stereotyping, RL is played and enjoyed by all classes. It's not 1972 FFS!

MayMoo

Juniors
Quite apt, a walk down memory lane and lets face it it is looking more and more likely memories are all the Bears are ever going to have.

Well I don't know what you are basing that on other than sh*t stirring.
They would be in the strongest position they have been to come back in over 10 years.

Green Machine

First Grade
Many a passionate Rugby League man has played other codes of football.
I don’t think Joe Hockey has ever player Rugby League.

My father grew up in Dundas and became a Parramatta fan. As a young man he moved to Coogee and ended up playing for Randwick in the lower grades. He'd still get out to the Sports Ground or Cumberland Oval to watch Parra if they were playing on a Sunday.
I not sure what that has to do with Joe Hockey who spent all his life on the Lower North Shore of Sydney. Joe Hockey played Union for Sydney Uni.

It's hardly shocking that someone growing up on the North Shore would play Union. All the more power to them for following League as well.
I’d doubt if Joe Hockey has ever followed Rugby League. I thought the article was a load of crap.

As for Joe Hockey’s love:
http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2006/s1786534.htm

MIKE BOWERS: You were a football player in your university days. Is it something you still like to do?
JOE HOCKEY: Yes, I like my rugby. I love my rugby, actually.

MayMoo

Juniors

I not sure what that has to do with Joe Hockey who spent all his life on the Lower North Shore of Sydney. Joe Hockey played Union for Sydney Uni.

I’d doubt if Joe Hockey has ever followed Rugby League. I thought the article was a load of crap.

MIKE BOWERS: You were a football player in your university days. Is it something you still like to do?

Well he has been a fan since he was a boy and spent a lot of time at NSO, even mentioned the Bears in his first speech in parlaiment.
Doubt all you like.

Do you wish to cast away any League supporters who also like rugby ? Fool..

Again, what the f*** if he spent a lot of time on the lower North Shore - (as did / do many other Bears fans)

KHunt

Juniors

OMG. Lockyrulz and Sam I am hate rugby union.

I guess that means they're more smarter and have better league knowledge than this bloke.

mightybears

Bench

He went to school at a Jesuit college not renowned for its rugby league teams, to put it mildly. Hockey has won football club raffles going back a number of years, stealing prizes from me in the process! My understanding of where Hockey and the union journo 'come from', don't match. Fitzsimmons is Rug B to a tee, Hockey is a rugby league supporter at first instance.

He is not my politics, but he has been in the same long haul back to the NRL as the rest of us, and his passion for the red and black in print form is shared [and welcomed as publicity for the cause].

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench

The class war bullsh*t still clouding your judgement?, talk about living in the 1950!. I spend the first 18 years of my life, born, raised, educated on the lower North Shore. We always had rugby union around us, and league fans were more hardcore because of it.

I know of one government high school that wouldn't allow its student a league team, no NSDRLFC knock out team entry because it was league, in the late 1980's!

You attitude is just as blinkered as the union idiots then and to a lesser extent now. So what that Hockey played union at school and Uni, he certainly didn't get a choice at the Jesuitlands did he?

And the guy looks like he was always best suited to be a tighthead prop for the 4th XV anyway!. He supports league, and the bears, and has done so for years.

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
This article is absolute crap.

Joe Hockey was a patron of the Beasr and knew the club was being sold down the river. he was fully aware - and di nothing.

Many a real Bears fan spending decades under the figtree never saw Joe Hockey there.

Another useless pollie looking for a bandwagon. Not dissimilar to the tripe articles Peter "BraveHeart" Costello writes in the SMH.

Joe - if the Bears never come back, if they truly are dead, then it's thanks to people in positions of authority like you who should have stood up and fought, like Souths did - but instead did absolutely f**kall and watched them get cheated.

First time this prick has mentioned the Bears in 10 years. Patron? No - Wanker.

mightybears

Bench
This article is absolute crap.

Joe Hockey was a patron of the Beasr and knew the club was being sold down the river. he was fully aware - and di nothing.

Many a real Bears fan spending decades under the figtree never saw Joe Hockey there.

Another useless pollie looking for a bandwagon. Not dissimilar to the tripe articles Peter "BraveHeart" Costello writes in the SMH.

Joe - if the Bears never come back, if they truly are dead, then it's thanks to people in positions of authority like you who should have stood up and fought, like Souths did - but instead did absolutely f**kall and watched them get cheated.

First time this prick has mentioned the Bears in 10 years. Patron? No - Wanker.

Ronny, i don't want to sound like the Manly inbreds that usually have a crack, but get back on your medication.

What was a federal MHR, non minister suppost to do back in 1999 that was going to save us?, not on either board was he?

No, the failure to go down the souths path was precisely because board judas's thought they'd be king sh*t of a new northern phoenix, Hockey had bugger all influence and power to change anything and you know it.

Latest posts