What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos General Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: I was surprised too.

At the time I was like...damn I wish there was some footy on. Sure enough.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
After 6 rounds here are the standings for LUs Broncos POTY

Standings

Peter Wallace – 8
Ben Hannant – 8
Justin Hodges – 7
Josh McGuire – 4
Josh Hoffman – 3
Matt Gillett – 3
Andrew McCullough – 3

With the pressure of many Broncos fans and the media on his shoulders, Wallace has managed to shine in the early part of the season. He leads the race with workhorse Hannant. Hodges shows that as long as he can stay on the field he is a chance of taking it out.

My prediction is for McGuire to take it out. I think he will surge up the standings during the origin period (assuming he doesn't get picked).

Last edited:

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
After 6 rounds here are the standings for LUs Broncos POTY

Standings

Peter Wallace – 8
Ben Hannant – 8
Justin Hodges – 7
Josh McGuire – 4
Josh Hoffman – 3
Matt Gillett – 3
Andrew McCullough – 3

With the pressure of many Broncos fans and the media on his shoulders, Wallace has managed to shine in the early part of the season. He leads the race with workhorse Hannant. Hodges shows that as long as he can stay on the field he is a chance of taking it out.

My prediction is for McGuire to take it out. I think he will surge up the standings during the origin period (assuming he doesn't get picked).

Did anyone hear Locky in commentary last Friday, when they asked him who the next Bronco to play Origin will be? He said Josh McGuire, not Matt Gillett. Interesting.

Big Pete

Referee
I think it was out of convenience since Moose had the ball. I believe he talked up Gillett's chances against the Knights.

Pretty spot on leaderboard, I'm going to have to stick with Hannant. We've yet to see the best of him this season but all the hard work he's been putting into the 1%ers are paying off.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Are they no longer calling him the "Big Show". Dam i really wanted him to succeed with a name like that. That leaderboard is pretty accurate only possible thing is i though Mcguire would have had a few more.

Big Pete

Referee
Everyone loves stats.

NRL stats.com have a few stats. from the old Grand Finals. Here's a few highlights...

1. Julian O'Neil - 18 runs (178m), 6 tacklebreaks, 3 Kicks for 131m
6. Kevin Walters - 2 Try Assists, 1 Linebreak, 3 tacklebreaks, 16 runs (103m), 24 tackles (2 missed)
8. Glen Lazarus - 21 runs (173m), 20 tackles (1 missed)
11. Trevor Gillmeister - 16 runs (126m), 4 tacklebreaks, 18 tackles (3 missed)

CC Medalist: Brad Mackay 20 runs (148m), 1 Linebreak, 3 Tacklebreaks, 2 Offloads, 36 Tackles (2 missed)

1. Darren Lockyer - 19 runs (157m), 5 tacklebreaks, 2 Offloads, 5 Kicks 257m
4. Darren Smith - 1 try 16 runs (155m), 17 tackles (no misses), 4 offloads
5. Wendell Sailor - 1 try 17 runs (181m), 2 linebreaks, 5 tacklebreaks, 2 offloads
7. Allan Langer - 2 Try Assists, 13 kicks for 516m
8. Shane Webcke - 21 runs (187m), 15 tackles (4 misses)
11. Gorden Tallis - 1 try, 1 linebreak, 12 runs (89m), 21 tackles (4 misses), 2 offloads
13. Tonie Carroll - 1 try, 1 try assist, 2 linebreaks, 6 runs (90m), 10 tacklebreaks, 22 tackles (1 missed)

1. Darren Lockyer - 1 Try Assist, 6 tacklebreaks, 15 runs (172m), 2 offloads, 6 kicks 199m
2. Lote Tuqiri - 1 Try, 2 Linebreaks, 9 Tacklebreaks, 11 runs (138m)
4. Michael De Vere - 3 goals, 1 linebreak, 11 runs (117m), 4 tacklebreaks, 16 tackles (2 misses)
5. Wendell Sailor - 1 try, 2 Linebreaks, 11 Tacklebreaks, 22 runs (287m), 2 offloads
11. Gorden Tallis - 15 runs (126m), 4 tacklebreaks, 1 offload, 12 tackles (6 missed)
12. Brad Thorn - 14 runs (141m), 1 Linebreak, 1 Offload, 24 tackles (1 missed)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hannant had an awesome game for QLD. Thaiday was very good except for trying that impossible pass which he is known to do. Civo went a bit better than I thought he would but still got found out a few times.

Hodges was, I can only put it this way, bad. He made 9 tackles and missed 6 and was not potent in attack. His injury plaguing him a bit? If not, there is no reason why he shouldn't back up for Broncos.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
This weekend we will make NRL history when our very own television show - BRONCOS INSIDER - debuts on Channel 9 at 1:30pm on Sunday.

Be watching each week to catch a glimpse inside the life of both past and current players!

Source: Some email I got...

Big Pete

Referee
Will update player of the year soon.

Before I do, who do you guys reckon has been our best player so far?

I'm going to go with Josh McGuire. I reckon the Origin series will push him right up there.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hey BP, do you want to split up the rounds? You do 7-12 and I'll do 13-18?

Yeah I think McGuire looks the goods to take it out. He has been pretty consistent and managed to keep himself injury free too.

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
Yep, I agree. I think McGuire will be leading, followed by Hannant. Parker has been great this year too, but has missed too many games to be in contention (injury and Origin).

Winning

Juniors
So how does the player of the year work with the Origin players missing. It's bit of an advantage for McGuire not playing origin.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
So how does the player of the year work with the Origin players missing. It's bit of an advantage for McGuire not playing origin.

Big advantage. If you can play all games then you give yourself a better opportunity to win the thing. Although, if the player is good enough, they can overcome missing a few games.

I suggested last year that we should introduce some more minor awards. e.g.

- most consistent (based on adding up entire votes)
- impact player (votes divided by number of games played)

etc.. etc...

would involve a lot of extra work though.

hellteam

First Grade
Anyone notice that the Broncos Facebook page has been counting down to something tomorrow? It's probably nothing, or something really uninteresting, but then they posted this photo today..

603465_10151093700584631_1838003877_n.jpg

Does that suggest new logo to anyone?

Latest posts