What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos sack coach Ivan Henjak

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I just don't understand what the Broncos have done. Henjak endures a season where his golden boy Lockyer was either injured or in sh*thouse form - or just a quickly declining player, Wallace continued to be an overrated hack, Hodges is out for the season and Folau for much of it, and he is forced into debuting a bunch of young guys who while doing a great job, weren't experienced enough for a full first grade season at the standard required of a club of the calibre of the Broncos. Not to mention losing players of the calibre of Carroll, Taylor and Hunt at the end of 2009.

Now some guy is going to come in, take control of one of the most gifted sides around, and see improvements from last season because:
  • The rookies are far more experienced and better prepared for first grade football.
  • Lockyer needs a good season for another contract and to prove a point. And isn't injured.
  • Hodges is back.
  • They've picked up a great forward in Hannant.

The new coach is going to get the credit, while fans and supporters alike are going to look back and say Henjak was the entire problem. Christ, they only just missed the finals with all those problems plus a sh*t halfback. He's not the best coach but he needed another season.

applesauce

Bench
Piss poor timing. I agree Henjak needed to go but this should have been done at the end of last season. Wayne Bennett will not go back to the Broncos either with the current administration running things, it's the major reason he left in the first place

Cullen is gone, he was most of the problem and turned the board against Bennett. Now the board has seen how good Bennett was for the club I am sure they have changed their tune and put their egos aside.

something must have been very wrong with ivan. Paul White was just dancing around the reasons why when asked multiple times. Griffin will be coach for all of 2011.

Big Pete

Referee
where his golden boy Lockyer was either injured or in sh*thouse form - or just a quickly declining player,

Ahhh...what? Lockyer was in good form last season and was probably at his most consistent since 2006.

But I agree with the rest of your post, Henjak copped a lot of s**t that wasn't warranted in 2010 and Griffen is going to benefit from it. But to be fair, Griffen did work with a lot of these players prior to Henjak blooding them.

Keffola

Juniors
This has to be related to something more than just last seasons results surely.......... otherwise I can't understand the timing?

Gaba

First Grade
Cullen is gone, he was most of the problem and turned the board against Bennett. Now the board has seen how good Bennett was for the club I am sure they have changed their tune and put their egos aside.

I read Bruno cullen was still a member of the broncos board

Canard

Immortal
Its hard to fathom.

Is it because Cullen was his only supporter, and now he is gone?

Is it because of some discipline or behavoural issue?

Is it because the Broncos new board have tapped Bennet up?

applesauce

Bench
The big thing in my eyes is the lack of contract pay out (meaning it was breached), but instead have given Henjak 3months pay on the condition of confidentially.

Either the Broncos protecting their brand or something fishy happend.

Gaba there is a difference between the Broncos League Club and the Broncos as a football club (different directors).

Gaba

First Grade
With cullen still having involvement with the broncos

Bennett is more likely to stay with the dragons in2012

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Ahhh...what? Lockyer was in good form last season and was probably at his most consistent since 2006.

Relative to what he can do. He's one of the greats (possibly the greatest), and I thought he looked like an above average first grader for the most part, and at times very pedestrian. Maybe my expectations are higher given his stature, and last season was the season that brought me back down to earth and made me realise he may well be declining. But he sure didn't look like one of the greats last season. Whether it was injuries, his partner in crime, too much pressure or something else I don't know, but he definitely didn't live up to what I expect. He could've done with a lot more support I thought.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Crazy decision. Total overreaction to the Broncos missing the finals for the first time in 19 years, largely due to a crippling injury toll.

applesauce

Bench
Crazy decision. Total overreaction to the Broncos missing the finals for the first time in 19 years, largely due to a crippling injury toll.

His contract has been terminated and has been given 3months pay on the proviso he keeps his mouth shut. Something went down.

Big Pete

Referee
Relative to what he can do. He's one of the greats (possibly the greatest), and I thought he looked like an above average first grader for the most part, and at times very pedestrian. Maybe my expectations are higher given his stature, and last season was the season that brought me back down to earth and made me realise he may well be declining. But he sure didn't look like one of the greats last season.

He was probably one of the games best players up until Origin finished. Stepped up in all the big games and 9/10 came up with the right play.

Hooch

Juniors
I rated Henjak as a coach. Did good things with a young squad and rode out a terrible season with his head up. Thought this year would make him or break him.

God knows what happened behind the curtain.

Slackboy72

Coach
His contract has been terminated and has been given 3months pay on the proviso he keeps his mouth shut. Something went down.

I thought only teenage girls with naked photos of Nick Riewoldt got paid to keep their (legs and) mouths shut.