What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos sack coach Ivan Henjak

Evenflow

Bench
Gee, big news day today. I'm putting money on Bellamy to be at the Broncos in 2012.

Yeah won't happen, he's contacted at the Storm until 2013 and while no doubt the conspiracy theorists will say that News will orchestrate the move from one club to the other (ala Inglis and we all know how that turned out) I'd bet plenty that there's no way they'll allow that to happen given they're rebuilding the Storm brand with the view to selling them. I hardly think they'll get rid of the bloke who's the most crucial to that happening.

Given who you support I'm tipping it's more hope that it's Bellamy that ends up there which rules your coach out. Much like Gaba deluding himself into thinking that this news in some geniused way makes it more likely that Bennett will stay at the Dragons :lol:

It'd be very naive to think the Bronco's have gone down this path less than 3 weeks before the season proper and think they haven't had any kind of contact with Bennett. Whether he ends up there or not remains to be seen of course but given he's off contract I'd say there's a hell of lot more chance of him being there than Bellamy.

Canard

Immortal
Before this de-generates into another geniused Gaba mass debate about f**king "game plans", lets play "Howpatethical".

If this was announced on the first sunday in October, would GI be a Bronco now?

Evenflow

Bench
If this was announced on the first sunday in October, would GI be a Bronco now?

Good point and IMO I think there's a very good chance he would be a Bronco. Inglis has made it known how he'd love to play under Bennett so what'd be really funny is if WB ended up back at the Broncos instead of Souffs as has been widely reported :lol:

charlie frith

Juniors
I just don't understand what the Broncos have done. Henjak endures a season where his golden boy Lockyer was either injured or in sh*thouse form - or just a quickly declining player, Wallace continued to be an overrated hack, Hodges is out for the season and Folau for much of it, and he is forced into debuting a bunch of young guys who while doing a great job, weren't experienced enough for a full first grade season at the standard required of a club of the calibre of the Broncos. Not to mention losing players of the calibre of Carroll, Taylor and Hunt at the end of 2009.

Now some guy is going to come in, take control of one of the most gifted sides around, and see improvements from last season because:
  • The rookies are far more experienced and better prepared for first grade football.
  • Lockyer needs a good season for another contract and to prove a point. And isn't injured.
  • Hodges is back.
  • They've picked up a great forward in Hannant.
The new coach is going to get the credit, while fans and supporters alike are going to look back and say Henjak was the entire problem. Christ, they only just missed the finals with all those problems plus a sh*t halfback. He's not the best coach but he needed another season.

Slackboy72

Coach
Yeah won't happen, he's contacted at the Storm until 2013 and while no doubt the conspiracy theorists will say that News will orchestrate the move from one club to the other (ala Inglis and we all know how that turned out) I'd bet plenty that there's no way they'll allow that to happen given they're rebuilding the Storm brand with the view to selling them. I hardly think they'll get rid of the bloke who's the most crucial to that happening.

Given who you support I'm tipping it's more hope that it's Bellamy that ends up there which rules your coach out. Much like Gaba deluding himself into thinking that this news in some geniused way makes it more likely that Bennett will stay at the Dragons :lol:

It'd be very naive to think the Bronco's have gone down this path less than 3 weeks before the season proper and think they haven't had any kind of contact with Bennett. Whether he ends up there or not remains to be seen of course but given he's off contract I'd say there's a hell of lot more chance of him being there than Bellamy.

So you think Bennett is going to want to go to a club that sacks it's coach three weeks out from season start?

charlie frith

Juniors
Ivan certainly got the rough end of the pineapple. Broncs looked like premiership material until Lockyer got injured in 2010. Wallace just not up for it. Weak administration, weak Board, sack the Coach. They should have sacked Cullen and some of the cronies.

Rogue.9

Juniors
They complained when Inglis didn't honor his deal with the club & then they fire a coach with 2 years left on his contract. This is the reason players aren't loyal to clubs anymore.
If I had a valid 2 year contract I wouldn't be settling for 3 months pay at this time of the year. It makes it a bit late for him to try & get another coaching gig

AuDragon

Juniors
So you think Bennett is going to want to go to a club that sacks it's coach three weeks out from season start?
Pull your head off mate. While Bennett is utterly professional, will do his utmost best for his current club and probably will guide the Dragons close to a GF again... his heart lies with one club only, can you guess which? :sarcasm:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So what happened??

3 Months pay to keep quite........

Sacked 3 weeks out.

Something happened........not sure but something f**king happened.

Slackboy72

Coach
Pull your head off mate. While Bennett is utterly professional, will do his utmost best for his current club and probably will guide the Dragons close to a GF again... his heart lies with one club only, can you guess which? :sarcasm:

Without a doubt that would be the Souths Magpies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Wake up.

I said us beating you in a semi at Kogarah trumps anyone beating the Chooks in a grand final.

I understand you're all up in the clouds because your team's won their maiden premiership but my team's won 4 in the past 30 years. They start to get a bit samey after a while.

In fact, our fourth was as dull as your first. Just for different reasons.

Anyway it's all beside the point. Henjak wasn't sacked for missing the finals you f**ken twit.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
They complained when Inglis didn't honor his deal with the club

What representative of the Brisbane Broncos complained about Inglis backing out? They allowed it to happen.

Jason Maher said:
Crazy decision. Total overreaction to the Broncos missing the finals for the first time in 19 years, largely due to a crippling injury toll.

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to missing the finals last year. Henjak clearly never connected with the key players. He showed some good tactics and gameplans in his first season taking some gambles, then followed it up with a shocking run of injuries, but it all means nothing if he can't inspire the players. Benny's shoes were just too big to fill in that department.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
Seriously how can a CONTRACT not be paid out in full without a breach?

Everyone who says this is because of last year is kidding themselves.

He has been paid for 3months to keep his mouth shut. If it was a simple sacking he would be paid in full for the length of the contract but just not have a job. Instead he is happy to take only 3months pay and not disclose anything....

Something happened, and this is from a Broncos fan.

bomberman

Juniors
Why are people surprised? lol Most on here predicted he was gunna be sacked. It was obvious. Only thing thats stupid about it is why Brisbane didnt do it earlier.

Snappy

Coach
As a Broncos fan I can’t say I’m disappointed. Wasn’t a big fan of Ivan, but gave support most of the time. He made some strange decisions in his time, such as playing Gillett at 5/8th that game and then leaving Norman on the bench for so long when it obviously wasn’t working. But anyways, I wish they did it sooner rather than three weeks out from the first game, although if the players didn’t like him, things will be better off.

As for Bennett speculation and his motivation. Bennett's motivation for coaching really comes down to one main thing. Family. He had said in the past that he wants to make as much money from coaching while he can, so that his two disabled children can be looked after in care for life once he and his wife pass. I’m sure being back in Brisbane where his family live, along with the opportunity to earn big money at the same time will be very appealing to him.