What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Logically there is something wrong with the Milford or Barba contract. Maybe you guys are paying Milfords family to live in Canberra or something insane like that. News ltd talk a big game so at the moment I am leaning to the side of mountain of molehills and there is just some minor irregularities in a contract or two. Brisbane are a pretty well run side and have access to almost unlimited amounts of TPAs. I doubt this is a Melbourne and two books kinda scenario.

axl rose

Bench
News ltd talk a big game so at the moment I am leaning to the side of mountain of molehills .

Crisis, scandal, damage control, sources within. A wonder they even pay their journos. Surely their is a template they can just copy paste names into.

Eelpout

Juniors
Couldn't happen to a more deserving team. I hope the scum get their points stripped for this year and are ineligible the next. Pisses me to no end of how many Friday night games they get, and I couldn't care less about ratings and revenue. It is simply unfair to the other clubs who have a significantly irregular draw. That alone is cheating in one regard.

Snappy

Coach
Couldn't happen to a more deserving team. I hope the scum get their points stripped for this year and are ineligible the next. Pisses me to no end of how many Friday night games they get, and I couldn't care less about ratings and revenue. It is simply unfair to the other clubs who have a significantly irregular draw. That alone is cheating in one regard.

images

redvscotty

First Grade
It'll only be around 2nd tier shit for Jake Granville or something minor but if they can drag it out for a week weeks I'll have fun bagging the shit out of all my Broncos fan mates.

some11

Referee
At least the club reported it, still in for a fine and stripping of points based on that though.

bottle

Coach
THE Broncos are under investigation over $500,000 in possible salary-cap irregularities following the resignation of club legend Andrew Gee as football operations chief.

Queensland goes into Wednesday night’s Origin opener with the state’s flagship club in crisis with Gee’s controversial departure the prelude to an NRL salary cap probe.

News Corporation can reveal Broncos hierarchy have alerted NRL bosses to a number of serious cap-related issues involving Brisbane’s recent recruitment activities.

The NRL was notified of the potential problem last week and confirmed on Tuesday evening it will begin an immediate investigation into the Broncos’ handling of the salary-cap.

“The Brisbane Broncos have advised the NRL of some possible salary-cap irregularities and asked us to look at them which we will do,” an NRL spokesman said.

Gee, a Broncos premiership player, has been on leave for the past fortnight since rumours emerged of potential irregularities in the Broncos’ salary cap.

The club confirmed on Tuesday that the 25-year Broncos veteran had resigned after News Corp first revealed last week Gee was set to sever ties with the club.

The NRL probe will involve the contracts of some of the biggest-name players in the NRL.

Recent dealings involving superstar recruit Ben Barba will be put under the microscope, although there is no suggestion the former Dally M winner is involved in any rorts.

News Corp understands the NRL probe will specifically examine third-party agreements and the fact at least one-big name player is out of pocket for a six-figure sum.

The player in question is allegedly owed money by the Broncos in relation to third-party sponsorships, but there is no suggestion Gee is guilty of orchestrating a salary-cap breach.

Gee took leave from the Broncos to consider his future. On Tuesday, he officially advised the Broncos he would be leaving the club where he first shot to prominence under then coach Wayne Bennett.

The shock move comes after the Broncos opted to restructure some of Gee’s many roles in the football department, with the hiring of Peter Nolan as list and recruitment manager last month.

Gee had hired Nolan, who was sacked by the club at the end of 2010, to separate the recruitment and list management from the day-to-day duties of the football manager.

Scott Czislowski, who has been the Broncos under-20s team manager since 2008, also fills the NRL welfare manager’s role at the club. He will immediately move into the team manager responsibility with the Broncos’ NRL squad.

Broncos boss Paul White did not return calls but the club confirmed Gee’s departure with a statement.

“The Broncos acknowledge the significant contribution Andrew Gee has made in his current role and in his former roles as both as a player and an administrator over a 25-year period,” the statement said.

“The club wishes both him and his family all the best for the future.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/brisbane-broncos-under-investigation-for-possible-salary-cap-irregularities/story-fni3gv4u-1226933629538

Sorry, just saw already posted.
Mods remove if you want.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
500k is a lot.

And don't give them too much credit for reporting it. They probably knew they'd get caught.

The Broncos aren't known for their honour.

Latest posts