What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

_Johnsy

Referee
nothing to read here

man-praying-in-pew.jpg

Blaza,

If there is enough smoke.............

False accusations don't linger like a rotting carcuss. Enjoy the ride. If News Ltd are prepared to throw enough $$ at it & prolong it as long as possible you'll be sweet, if not it could get ugly. I'm not going to allude to any info I have received as I cannot provide links etc. From what I have been told it's not that flash, best of luck anyway.

blaza88z

Coach
There's no way we're systematically cheating the cap with our roster which would be the worst possible outcome of this situation

I understand people want to see Brisbane rot to a painful death and you probably had a case about 10 years ago when we had half the QLD team in our line up but with this playing lineup.. I can't have it

it's been reported 450k over 3 years, which to me (and anyone else who isn't being deluded) works out to be 150k a season over the cap on average, yes it's bad and I don't encourage it but when compared to other breaches it's a minor breach

I don't have any inside mail unlike yourself so I can only go on what has been reported but I am sure if it turns out to be worse than it is, it's probably not a bad thing given the poor state the club is in and would explain quite a lot actually

Stagger Lee

Bench
Typical team from 1998 - hey at least they had cut Lazarius to the Storm so all these players must be under the cap

Darren LOCKYER
Michael HANCOCK
Steve RENOUF
Darren SMITH
Wendell SAILOR
Kevin WALTERS
Allan LANGER (c)
Shane WEBCKE
John PLATH
Andrew GEE
Gorden TALLIS
Kevin CAMPION
Peter RYAN
Petero CIVONICEVA
Phillip LEE
Ben WALKER
Michael DE VERE

El Diablo

Post Whore
There's no way we're systematically cheating the cap with our roster which would be the worst possible outcome of this situation

I understand people want to see Brisbane rot to a painful death and you probably had a case about 10 years ago when we had half the QLD team in our line up but with this playing lineup.. I can't have it

it's been reported 450k over 3 years, which to me (and anyone else who isn't being deluded) works out to be 150k a season over the cap on average, yes it's bad and I don't encourage it but when compared to other breaches it's a minor breach

I don't have any inside mail unlike yourself so I can only go on what has been reported but I am sure if it turns out to be worse than it is, it's probably not a bad thing given the poor state the club is in and would explain quite a lot actually

tell your story walking chump

blaza88z

Coach
tell your story walking chump

:lol:

I understand you're feeling shattered after another heart warming effort from the lads at Parramatta but there's no need to bring your rubbish into a quality discussion between many intelligent individuals

El Diablo

Post Whore
:lol:

I understand you're feeling shattered after another heart warming effort from the lads at Parramatta but there's no need to bring your rubbish into a quality discussion between many intelligent individuals

intelligent?

you're posting in here

bitching and mooaning

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Is this some sort of joke. ? No wonder Sydney clubs never go over the cap.
The Broncos will be OK, this cap is becoming the biggest joke in world sport.
Some Broncos fans are delusional. Manly has 2 current SOO players. Both played off the bench. We just lost G Stewart and are struggling to retain others. Yes, we have a back-end contract problem and a NZ test captain... but in terms of contracted players, you have Hodges, Gillett, Parker and Thaiday who will all represent QLD and/or Australia and will have bonuses attached. To suggest you may not be over the cap is a bit of a laugh. Barba, Kennedy and now Milford are all players you are paying massive overs on to secure. It really isn't that hard to see the squad you have being over. The team is easily capable of top 8 when playing well under a better coach.

Some Broncos fans are delusional. Manly has 2 current SOO players. Both played off the bench. We just lost G Stewart and are struggling to retain others. Yes, we have a back-end contract problem and a NZ test captain... but in terms of contracted players, you have Hodges, Gillett, Parker and Thaiday who will all represent QLD and/or Australia and will have bonuses attached. To suggest you may not be over the cap is a bit of a laugh. Barba, Kennedy and now Milford are all players you are paying massive overs on to secure. It really isn't that hard to see the squad you have being over. The team is easily capable of top 8 when playing well under a better coach.

Add Hannant (regular QLD rep), Glenn (NZ rep), and Hoffman (whom Broncos fans regularly say is on massive money when they talk about how much cap space he will free up when he leaves), and there is more than enough dollars tied up in the squad to have them over if they have managed their cap poorly.

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
Typical team from 1998 - hey at least they had cut Lazarius to the Storm so all these players must be under the cap

Darren LOCKYER
Michael HANCOCK
Steve RENOUF
Darren SMITH
Wendell SAILOR
Kevin WALTERS
Allan LANGER (c)
Shane WEBCKE
John PLATH
Andrew GEE
Gorden TALLIS
Kevin CAMPION
Peter RYAN
Petero CIVONICEVA
Phillip LEE
Ben WALKER
Michael DE VERE

johnny plath

Juniors
Just out of curiosity, was there even a salary cap in 1998? I thought that went out the window around the super league era and was around the time that players moved to fully professional and started recieving huge salaries. Thought it took a while for the then new NRL to get the idea of a salary cap back into the game and to a level that it could sustain.

El Diablo

Post Whore
there was although some players were still on SL or ARL contracts so they were assessed at notional values

BunniesMan

Immortal
Investigations from FOUR years ago? Think there's more to this than we first thought.

Just out of curiosity, was there even a salary cap in 1998? I thought that went out the window around the super league era and was around the time that players moved to fully professional and started recieving huge salaries. Thought it took a while for the then new NRL to get the idea of a salary cap back into the game and to a level that it could sustain.

The salary cap started in the early 90s. It was there in 1998. And that ridiculous Broncos team was just as ridiculous for the next couple of years as well.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Meh, even if they do get done for cap rorting from 4 years ago, they'll just get a big fine (I'm sure News Ltd will be devo), & stripped of points - but they'll still have all those premierships.

ek999

First Grade
Meh, even if they do get done for cap rorting from 4 years ago, they'll just get a big fine (I'm sure News Ltd will be devo), & stripped of points - but they'll still have all those premierships.

I think the best punishment would be to reduce their salary cap for the same amount of time they were cheating. Make the punishment really hurt to send a warning to all clubs

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't care about the fines. Even premierships, they haven't won anything since clubs figured out it would be a good idea to not leave 90% of Queensland to Broncos scouts. They're nothing special on the field anymore.

But if any wrongdoing is found to have been done I want them to be hit in the only place matters, competition points.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think the best punishment would be to reduce their salary cap for the same amount of time they were cheating. Make the punishment really hurt to send a warning to all clubs

This is actually a good idea. Along with competition points this too.

Latest posts