What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

Spot On

Coach
Some of you guys thinking that the broncos would actually go out and pay what 800k+? for a kid who clearly wants to go home, also it was never really confirmed that the raiders put out such a big amount was just media beat up maybe?

So he shouldn't be paid well???

His manager wouldn't be looking to secure top dollar from the Broncs??? If not, then the question must be asked - why?? Why would his manager push him into a deal worth less than half of what he could earn at Canberra?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Prob aroun 500k, 300k cap and 200k 3rd party.

So less than half of the $$$ he could have earned in Canberra. Wow. Are there any other examples of players signing a contract for half of what they could earn at another NRL club??? Can someone answer that please?

Last edited:

broncos2010

Juniors
So he shouldn't be paid well???

His manager wouldn't be looking to secure top dollar from the Broncs??? If not, then the question must be asked - why?? Why would his manager secure a deal worth less than half of what he could earn at Canberra?

Canberra only came in with that late ditch offer at the end after he has already well past singed for broncos, but it was never about the money it was always about family, also like I said those figures could also just be media beat up.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Prob aroun 500k, 300k cap and 200k 3rd party.

so if we applied your geniused figures to Broncos players they'd probably be $1 million under the cap

in your misguided opinion who is the highest paid Bronco and how much do you think he's on?

broncos2010

Juniors
so if we applied your geniused figures to Broncos players they'd probably be $1 million under the cap

in your misguided opinion who is the highest paid Bronco and how much do you think he's on?

Broncos have the luxury of heavy loading contracts with 3rd party deals, that is why we can attack big names and we will be deep in the hunt for DCE and will probably bring Boyd in as well next year.

My guess would be Thaiday or Hodges either on maybe 700k a year my guess, closely followed by Parker.

Spot On

Coach

One of the Broncs supporters said they don't have any star players at the club earlier in this thread. So, by that logic none of them earn anywhere near Chris Sandow coin.

Spot On

Coach
Broncos have the luxury of heavy loading contracts with 3rd party deals, that is why we can attack big names and we will be deep in the hunt for DCE and will probably bring Boyd in as well next year.

My guess would be Thaiday or Hodges either on maybe 700k a year my guess, closely followed by Parker.

Hence the reason for this thread. :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
was in melbourne yesterday and on the taxi radio was an advert featuring cam smith for some online supplement company. Be good to see and hear more players in advertising and earning from third party deals.

Juju

Juniors

Todd Lowire = $400k of the cap.

bottle

Coach
Why are people engaging this broncos imbo in conversation like he's a normal person?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Are these the same third party deals that have supposedly fallen through???? lol you wouldn't know if a dog was up you.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
was in melbourne yesterday and on the taxi radio was an advert featuring cam smith for some online supplement company. Be good to see and hear more players in advertising and earning from third party deals.

Im all for the players earning as much as possible, but third party deals just defeat the purpose of the salary cap. Players on teams that get more exposure will get more of a chance to earn 3rd party deals. Going to make it hard for canberra and the sydney teams that are ignored by channel 9

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Im all for the players earning as much as possible, but third party deals just defeat the purpose of the salary cap. Players on teams that get more exposure will get more of a chance to earn 3rd party deals. Going to make it hard for canberra and the sydney teams that are ignored by channel 9

If third party deals were given unlimited cap then the NRL would have to guarantee every team equal FTA time. Will never happen so neither will the concept.

I think Donkeys2010 must believe its unlimited at the moment :lol: Dipshit.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Heard Justin Hodges on the radio a month or so back.

"Hi, I'm Justin Hodges from the Brisbane Broncos, when I'm not running around on the field I'm running into "some car place" to get my tires changed" or something to that effect.

The add was lol in a cringeworthy way, but that's how teams do it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...018383278?nk=47a153d9faf453c487efd110e28c67d9

The Broncos could start 2015 on negative competition points if found to have breached the salary cap

Paul MaloneExclusive
The Courier-Mail
August 09, 2014 12:00AM

BRISBANE could start next season on negative competition points if found guilty of breaching the salary cap.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has revealed if the Broncos are to be docked premiership points for any cap breach, the penalty could be for this season or next year.

With disclosures that Broncos players are to be interviewed next week by the NRL Integrity Unit, it is becoming increasingly likely findings from the investigation may not be delivered before the end of this season.

Investigations into salary cap conduct by the Broncos and Titans are ongoing after both clubs reported matters to the NRL earlier this year, and neither club has yet been found guilty on anything untoward..

The two most far-reaching salary cap investigations, involving Melbourne and Canterbury, were both concluded in the middle of a season.

In 2010, Melbourne lost all of their competition points and two premierships, while in 2002, the Bulldogs — who were then leading the competition as title favourites — were stripped of 37 competition points.

A decision reached between seasons for a club takes the game into uncharted territory.

While the Broncos were 10th heading into the current round, with five games remaining, they are likely to be more widely feared next season under returning coach Wayne Bennett.

Asked what would happen if an outcome was delivered at end of a team’s involvement this year, Smith said: “The rules give me discretion to retrospectively apply or prospectively apply, so it’s very much depending on circumstances.

“It could be either, and it (the outcome of the investigation) could be nothing.

“It’s well advanced. Hopefully we don’t keep everyone waiting too long.

“We are getting cooperation from all parties.

“There is an enormous amount of discretion within the rules.

“Where we find serious irregularities you can expect consequences.’’

Penalties against clubs found to have breached the NRL’s cap regulations can include docking of premiership points and big fines.

Smith said he did not know a time frame for wrapping up the investigations into football related spending by the Broncos and Titans but considers a “deep and thorough’’ study of most importance.

“You can never really tell if it’s going to be straight forward or not,’’ he said.

“The Integrity Unit is skilled and is working hard asking their questions and getting their answers. If it’s in season, out of the season, it’s about whether it’s a thorough and proper job.’’

Asked if a fine was enough of a deterrent to clubs when a cap breach was found, Smith said: “Any salary cap (breach) where proven is a very serious offence. You could never say whether it should be a fine or points (deduction) because no two things are ever the same.’’

Player manager Sam Ayoub, who represents key 2015 Broncos recruit Anthony Milford, told The Courier-Mail on Thursday the NRL had told him the investigations into the conduct at the Broncos related to the 2011-14 seasons.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...obe-in-cap-audit/story-fnca0von-1227023567537
Players face tax probe in cap audit

The Australian
August 14, 2014 12:00AM

Brent Read
Senior Sports Writer

THE NRL has warned players at the centre of the salary cap probe into Brisbane that they may be forced to produce documents such as their income tax returns or other financial records as part of the investigation.

Salary cap auditor Jamie L’Oste Brown issued the thinly veiled threat via letters to the players, who are being interviewed over alleged salary cap *irregularities at the Broncos between the 2011 and 2014 seasons.

“In due course, it may be necessary for me to invoke the protocol under part 9.2 of the PCR rules to compel production of such documents and other records (including income tax returns) as are necessary for me to complete my investigation,” L’Oste Brown wrote.

“For the time being, I am content to proceed on the basis that you may choose to produce them voluntarily.’’

It is understood the Rugby League Players Association is aware of the letters being issued and is in the process of following the matter up. It could comment on the situation as early as today.

It is also believed the NRL would be required to meet certain requirements if it were to call for tax and other financial records, including an agreement to allow the players to use independent accountants.

Amid an apparent lack of concrete evidence of anything untoward having taken place, it would appear to represent the last throw of the dice for the game’s governing body.

As many as five Brisbane players have been interviewed by L’Oste Brown and integrity officer Alby Taylor as part of the investigation, which is running alongside inquiries being at the Gold Coast into potential salary cap breaches at that club.

Broncos fullback Ben Barba and prop Martin Kennedy — both of whom joined the club this season — are among current Brisbane players to have had deals put under the microscope.

Canberra fullback Anthony Milford was interviewed yesterday over his negotiations with the Broncos — he will cut short his time at Canberra to join Brisbane next season.

Milford’s decision raised eyebrows, especially after he knocked back another attempt from the Raiders this season to keep him at the club.

It is believed the Canberra fullback is confident he will have no case to answer as the probe is related to alleged offences from 2011-14, and he will not join the team until next season. Kennedy is also comfortable his deal is in line with salary cap rules.

The Broncos are pressing for the matter, which came to light when the club informed the NRL of potential salary cap irregularities in late May, to be finalised before the end of the current campaign, allowing them to start next season with a clean slate.

Under NRL rules, lack of evidence is not an impediment to sanctions being enforced. Rather, the NRL can act against clubs if the evidence either directly or inferentially supports the conclusion that on the balance of probabilities, the contravention has occurred.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith gave little away yesterday when asked for an update on the cap salary cap probes into both Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

“The process is under way,’’ he said. “I think it’s arm’s length for me.

“The integrity unit is doing the job we expect it to do, asking all the right questions and working through the investigation.

“When it’s done, it’s done, and at that point there will be a recommendation made to me.’’

The salary cap investigation has been an unwanted distraction for the Broncos as they attempt to maintain pace with the top eight.

The club is in 10th place heading into tonight’s game against South Sydney and anything short of a victory would most likely sound the death knell on hopes of finals football.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Under NRL rules, lack of evidence is not an impediment to sanctions being enforced. Rather, the NRL can act against clubs if the evidence either directly or inferentially supports the conclusion that on the balance of probabilities, the contravention has occurred.

interesting