What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos withdraw their offer to sign Melbourne Storm star Greg inglis

Basque Eel

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos withdraw their offer to sign Melbourne Storm star Greg inglis

• From AAP
  • November 06, 2010 4:51PM
Limbo ... Inglis's future uncertain after Broncos withdraw offer. Source: Colleen Petch / News Limited

Brisbane Broncos have sensationally pulled the pin on their offer to superstar Greg Inglis after he failed to meet the club's ultimatum to sign a two-year NRL deal on Saturday.

Brisbane put the deadline to Inglis on Friday, giving him 24 hours to sign a $1.2 million two-year contract with the Broncos.
The club had waited patiently for 14 weeks for Inglis to make a decision, but the Broncos withdrew the offer to the Queensland and Australian centre on Saturday afternoon.
Inglis, who was to replace AFL-bound Israel Folau, has been embroiled in a dispute with Melbourne over the payment of a $113,000 legal bill incurred in employing a QC to successfully defend him against assault allegations last year.
However, Inglis could still have signed Brisbane's contract, which then could have been lodged with the NRL and registered once the dispute between Inglis and his club was resolved.
Inglis, who is still contracted to Melbourne, will have to find another NRL club as the Storm have already spent their 2011 salary cap and could not afford to keep him now that the Broncos have left him stranded.
Inglis is believed to have been in discussions with French rugby union club Toulon and has attracted the attention of AFL clubs, who have already signed rugby league stars Karmichael Hunt (Gold Coast) and Folau (Western Sydney).
:lol::lol::lol:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
inglis to the eels ? we are one of the few with the cash and we have his assistant coach from the last couple of years????

bradeel

Juniors
I also am assuming that we are going to go hard after him now. Surely we are in a position to given our well documented cash left over and the new coach and his assistant?

lingard

Coach
I can`t see why we`d want him. Firstly, I think he`s over-rated - he doesn`t give value for money over a whole season; goes missing for long periods. Secondly, I get the distinct impression that our club is signing cheap one-year players in order to have money for 2012 when some good quality halves may be off-contract. To spend 1.5 million on Inglis now would be silly in my opinion.
I hope Souths get him. I thought at the beginning of this year that the only thing they were missing was one very good quality centre. Actually posted it on their forum. If they bought Inglis, they could win the comp next year. I`d like to see that.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I can`t see why we`d want him. Firstly, I think he`s over-rated - he doesn`t give value for money over a whole season; goes missing for long periods. Secondly, I get the distinct impression that our club is signing cheap one-year players in order to have money for 2012 when some good quality halves may be off-contract. To spend 1.5 million on Inglis now would be silly in my opinion.
I hope Souths get him. I thought at the beginning of this year that the only thing they were missing was one very good quality centre. Actually posted it on their forum. If they bought Inglis, they could win the comp next year. I`d like to see that.

I can see where you are coming from. I always had the opinion Inglis best position is fullback, at centre he doesn't have a lot of options to go looking for the ball and is dependent on his halves. At fullback he gets his hands on the ball a lot more and can play a Hayne type of game - he would be very dangerous at fulllback

jono

Juniors
And yet in the end he proved the difference between Parramatte being 2009 Premiers or not.
Would be a welcome addition , but I agree , not at the expense of a quality playmaker such as Ox.
Bugger it , let's get 'em both!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Not sure about the equivalent speed of Inglis but Karl Filiga will become our next international center. It seems he will break through early into the NRL next year and will only cost a fraction of Inglis value.;-) We need to manufacture a seven out of our present stock unless Inglis stays at Storm freeing up Cronk to join the Eels.

parra_jesus

Juniors
mate , you have been talking up karl in a few threads recently. i played against him in the bundaberg cup this year , and although he has the size , speed and strength to be in the top 25 squad. he lacks heart , mongrel and determination and will be lucky if he is playing priemer league next year. unless he has a serious attitude adjustment in the off season which judging by what i have seen this year i highly doubt

boxhead

First Grade
If Karl Filiga turns himself around and trains hard and puts more effort in, which according to some he has really impressed the coaching staff in training, then he can do anything.
We have to remember that he had a disrupted year in 2010 (a person in his family passed away).

I hope he does well next year. If he pushes hard, he could very well lay claim to a centre spot next year - if Reddy is injured come Round 1 he potentially may start the year if he continues to impress in training.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
mate , you have been talking up karl in a few threads recently. i played against him in the bundaberg cup this year , and although he has the size , speed and strength to be in the top 25 squad. he lacks heart , mongrel and determination and will be lucky if he is playing priemer league next year. unless he has a serious attitude adjustment in the off season which judging by what i have seen this year i highly doubt

I agree about "unless he has a serious attitude adjustment in the off season". It seems Karl was not focused on his career as a league player BUT if he does, then look out. His brother passing away may be all the rocket fuel Karl needs to make the most of his career in league before it ends in 10 years or so. 10 years goes very very fast and he may have very little to show for it unless he changes his attitude. His family will either be set up for life or not. It's all up to him. We could do with another center like Mick Cronin was for the Eels.

Which means what? Pushing Smith to halfback, I guess?

Releasing Cronk is definitely an option but would they want to make the necessary change? And would Cronk still be interested in coming? So much disruption in what will essentially be a 5-minute frenzy.

strider

Post Whore
Would they even want Inglis back now? - I doubt it

Sounds like Souths are going to magically come up with what it takes to get Inglis ... which would show the cap up for the piece of swiss cheese it is .... I could cop Brisbane getting the guy when they lose Folau - but where will the Bunny's cap room come from? the russell crowe and friends bit on the side fund?

I wouldn't want Inglis at the eels - not for what he's valued at ..... he can be a true star, but he can also be a useless pile of poo

I watched Cronk being a leader in th test match last night - pulling the players in for a talk, taking charge - THAT IS WHAT WE NEED!!! - someone who can lead and inspire our mob while being able to contribute a good kicking game and a bit of ball play ..... won't happen tho

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
here's an idea for Inglis, you could always pay your own bills

this legal fee applies to an off field incident, why would a leagues club being either the Storm or Bronco, have to pay it

I think, Twiz, that his argument is they basically stepped in and took care of the whole thing.

Something along the lines of, "OK, Greg, don't worry, we've got all this lawyer stuff covered for you" and then they went and hired their choice of guy etc and then at the end went, "Oh, by the way, Greg, that whole thing just cost you $113,000. I guess we'll pay some of it but you have to pay the rest."

And Inglis was all, like, "WTF?!?!?! You guys said you'd take care of it all!"

Latest posts