What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sounds very similar to the bears "rich backers" .....who shall remain unnamed
That's pretty much standard practice though.

Most people don't want their names connected to the team if it doesn't even get off the ground. It's like having your name/business connected with a high profile failed venture.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Their Leagues Club is richer than Broncos Leagues.

What would they call themselves?

East Coast Seagulls?

Moreton Bay Seagulls?
I think they'd need a bit more than that. The Broncos have about $50M in assets, Redcliffe more than that.

If they did bid, no doubt it would be Brisbane Seagulls, but I really don't see the issue with Wynnum Manly Seagulls. If they market themselves correctly and play out of Suncorp the suburb name will not be a barrier as many English Soccer and AFL teams have shown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos LC has around $16mill in plant and property asset and Broncos FC aroun $34mill in net assets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos LC has around $16mill in plant and property asset and Broncos FC aroun $34mill in net assets.
Calling any new brisbane club a subruban name is a dumb idea as it marginalises supporter base to some degree. Firehawks stretching East makes more sense than Seagulls stretching West.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think they'd need a bit more than that. The Broncos have about $50M in assets, Redcliffe more than that.

If they did bid, no doubt it would be Brisbane Seagulls, but I really don't see the issue with Wynnum Manly Seagulls. If they market themselves correctly and play out of Suncorp the suburb name will not be a barrier as many English Soccer and AFL teams have shown.
Yeah that's simply not true (and I recognise how you are trying to twist the AFL clubs and EPL clubs into something they are not, to make them fit your argument), but I'm so f**king tired of this discussion that I can't be bothered.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah that's simply not true (and I recognise how you are trying to twist the AFL clubs and EPL clubs into something they are not, to make them fit your argument), but I'm so f**king tired of this discussion that I can't be bothered.

So AFL and EPL clubs don't carry suburban names?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.... how is that not true? This should be good

Arsenal, Chelsea, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.... how is that not true? This should be good
Fremantle and Port Adelaide can be added to the list.

Some of the AwFuL clubs are named after actual suburbs. Essendon is a suburb, no bigger than Rochedale South, based in Moonee Valley.

Moonee Valley has a population of 127,883, making it smaller than Redlands.

Collingwood [8,500] is located in Yarra [98,521].

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Some of the AwFuL clubs are named after actual suburbs. Essendon is a suburb, no bigger than Rochedale South, based in Moonee Valley.

Yes, correct and none of them struggle with city-wide, nation-wide or in the EPL's case worldwide appeal.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Sure they have suburban names, but not one of them ever tried to relaunch themselves as a club that represents a large portion of the city outside 'their' region in an attempt to attract opposition supporters to club, in the way that the second Brisbane club will have to if they are to be successful.

If they did, and Arsenal for example decided they were going to try to be "the" London club for now on, I assure you that would fail overnight (in English football it'd probably lead to a spike in hooliganism as well lol), as it has in basically every case where clubs have attempted that.

The only clubs I can think of off the top of my head that have done that, and done it successfully, are the Raiders and Power. Both of them have something in common that all the others didn't do; they heavily rebranded and distanced the new club from their prior entity.

And before you say it; yes Port Adelaide kept their suburban name, however they are the smallest of the AFL clubs from heartlands outside of Melbourne, least financially stable, and have the lowest average attendance and memberships. They have also traditionally struggle to grow their fan-base outside of Port Adelaide/the northern region of the city, and are currently going through an identity crisis right now because of struggles to come to terms with their history and brand that is effecting their fan-base no matter how much they claim it is not (seriously look up Port Adelaide prison bar jersey).

As a person that supports a club that has gone through this, and seen multiple others try and fail to do the same, if you want your club to be successful you have to embrace the future and distance yourself from the past.
That means new names, new colours and jerseys, were possible new grounds, new marketing, new everything pertaining to the club's identity. If you don't do that your club will be seen simply as the old one trying to takeover the city, and you will alienate huge portions of your potential audience.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes, correct and none of them struggle with city-wide, nation-wide or in the EPL's case worldwide appeal.
Again, those clubs grew nationally and internationally as their competitions did, not because they tried to launch themselves as national or international team like any team promoted from a lower league in a licensed system is doing.

Trying to compare their situation to what's being talked about in Brisbane is just an embarrassing case of trying to twist reality to fit your bias.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s taken 120 years for those epl clubs to be that big, and largely because the competitionand sport they play in is massive and global. Afl fans are fanatics so will actively follow whatever you call the team. an Australian suburban rl team will have none of that. Sydney tells us all we need to know about how limiting it is if you name yourself and base yourself in a small suburban catchment, the nrl doesn’t need another manly or Cronulla!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Now that I think about it Arsenal doesn't even take it's name from a suburb.

IIRC they named themselves arsenal because the founders worked for an ammunition factory (or something similar), i.e. they named themselves after a literal arsenal. If they named themselves after their suburb they'd be Islington, or whichever suburb/district they were founded in.

In other words Arsenal was a terrible example for us to use because they're not even a suburban club in name.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s taken 120 years for those epl clubs to be that big, and largely because the competitionand sport they play in is massive and global. Afl fans are fanatics so will actively follow whatever you call the team. an Australian suburban rl team will have none of that. Sydney tells us all we need to know about how limiting it is if you name yourself and base yourself in a small suburban catchment, the nrl doesn’t need another manly or Cronulla!
I don't think that that is necessarily true.

Sure you can come up with examples where they have accepted it (Western Bulldogs), but other Melbourne AFL fans have definitely reacted negatively to proposed name changes before.

Same's true of Easts fans accepting the Sydney name, but Balmain and Canterbury being highly criticised by everyone, including their fans, for calling themselves 'Sydney' in the 90s.

But this is a total aside from the discussion at hand anyway.

mongoose

Coach
The AFL and NRL started as suburban comps to it made sense back then. EPL is different, there are 120+ professional football teams across England most with over 100 years of history.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Most AFL clubs were formed 150 years ago before word suburb was invented. Collingwood is not based in Collingwood, and they don’t market to Collingwood. It is just a name, the fans are spread equally across the city. Can’t compare to 2021.
A suburb name for Bris2 is a bad idea, but so is making the name too broad like GSW, who should simply be Western Sydney.
As we know, there should have been a 2nd Brisbane side 25 years ago. The longer you wait the harder it is to do. So the first decision is whether there will ever be a Bris3. If so you might want to have a club clearly associated with one side of town like the Brisbane North Dolphins, so you can have a south club in five years. If there is only ever going to be Bris2, then you might want to keep it a bit more generic such as Brisbane Dolphins/Jets/Firehawks.

flippikat

Bench
So the first decision is whether there will ever be a Bris3. If so you might want to have a club clearly associated with one side of town like the Brisbane North Dolphins, so you can have a south club in five years. If there is only ever going to be Bris2, then you might want to keep it a bit more generic such as Brisbane Dolphins/Jets/Firehawks.
That assumes the NRL is willing/able to think long term and make a call NOW about how many Brisbane teams it forsees in the long run.

On our administrators' collective track record, that appears to be a bridge too far.