What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Again, those clubs grew nationally and internationally as their competitions did, not because they tried to launch themselves as national or international team like any team promoted from a lower league in a licensed system is doing.

Trying to compare their situation to what's being talked about in Brisbane is just an embarrassing case of trying to twist reality to fit your bias.
The NRL has grown to a point where it is currently more nationally recognised than ever so it is no different.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NRL has grown to a point where it is currently more nationally recognised than ever so it is no different.
Firstly, you're utterly f**king delusional if you think that the NRL has even half the market penetration south/west of the Barassi line as the AFL has north of it, they're playing on a whole other level. And that's without even getting into the EPL's dominance of the soccer market across the Anglosphere, which is simply incomparable to anything going on in Australia.

Secondly, even if the NRL did it would make no difference for promoted QRL clubs whom haven't benefited from that national exposure and growth as the NRL clubs have. They are in effect brand new entities to the vast majority of people outside of a small part of Queensland (population wise), and not realising that is also utterly f**king delusional.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Firstly, you're utterly f**king delusional if you think that the NRL has even half the market penetration south/west of the Barassi line as the AFL has north of it, they're playing on a whole other level. And that's without even getting into the EPL's dominance of the soccer market across the Anglosphere, which is simply incomparable to anything going on in Australia.

Secondly, even if the NRL did it would make no difference for promoted QRL clubs whom haven't benefited from that national exposure and growth as the NRL clubs have. They are in effect brand new entities to the vast majority of people outside of a small part of Queensland (population wise), and not realising that is also utterly f**king delusional.

Yes, the AFL has more penetration north of the Barassi line than the NRL does south of it

Yes, the EPL and soccer in general has a more global reach

But also, yes teams with suburban names have managed to do so. What is Brisbane 2's ultimate mission? To grow a fan base in Brisbane and there is zero reason why a suburban named team couldn't do that and then piggy back off the NRL's sydney presence or even create a rivalry with the storm that makes that name a household name.

By the way, I'm not suggesting we do this, I would prefer the Brisbane somethings. But it is doable with no where near the barriers you are suggesting, provided they are playing out of Suncorp.

BTW you might need some anger management help or something. I'm concerned about how easily you lose it and resort to insults.

The Great Dane

First Grade
BTW you might need some anger management help or something. I'm concerned about how easily you lose it and resort to insults.
You literally have no idea on this subject and the mental gymnastics you perform to pretend you do are amazing. The only rational response to a person acting as you are is ridicule, just like you used to ridicule and insult Stallion when he said his stupid shit.

The only reason you have a problem with it now when you didn't then is because we've found your sacred cow.

If you promote a suburban club into a national league without making major changes to it, and try and push them to represent Brisbane as a whole (or a significant portion of it) it will have the same results as this did in Canberra- https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/...ll-be-a-red-and-white-failure/comment-page-4/

Instead of falling all over yourself to try and support your personal bias for the suburban scene in Brisbane read that link, learn about that club and others like them, and learn from their mistakes.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You literally have no idea on this subject and the mental gymnastics you perform to pretend you do are amazing. The only rational response to a person acting as you are is ridicule, just like you used to ridicule and insult Stallion when he said his stupid shit.

The only reason you have a problem with it now when you didn't then is because we've found your sacred cow.

If you promote a suburban club into a national league without making major changes to it, and try and push them to represent Brisbane as a whole (or a significant portion of it) it will have the same results as this did in Canberra- https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/...ll-be-a-red-and-white-failure/comment-page-4/

Instead of falling all over yourself to try and support your personal bias for the suburban scene in Brisbane read that link, learn about that club and others like them, and learn from their mistakes.
I don't have links to any BRL club other than having played for Wynnum Manly juniors as a kid so you're going a bit over the top there. I'm a RL fan in Brisbane that would like a second team though.

Let's forget about me for a second, the NRL is currently weighing up bids from the Easts Tigers, Redcliffe Dolphins and Ipswich Jets (aligned with the Bombers) so mate, I'm afraid to tell you that the people running those clubs / bids and the NRL seem to think it's going to work also.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't have links to any BRL club other than having played for Wynnum Manly juniors as a kid so you're going a bit over the top there. I'm a RL fan in Brisbane that would like a second team though.

Let's forget about me for a second, the NRL is currently weighing up bids from the Easts Tigers, Redcliffe Dolphins and Ipswich Jets (aligned with the Bombers) so mate, I'm afraid to tell you that the people running those clubs / bids and the NRL seem to think it's going to work also.
Well tbf they are entertaining those three, or at least two of them, as they have got pokie dens and existing facilities, not because they necessarily think they have great potential to engage a mass of fans across brisbane. Nrl is super conservative and this is why they are only entertaining exisiting clubs. the nrl made it very clear last year they would only entertain bids from existing clubs, thus pushing out any opportunity for independent busIness backed city wide bids to throw their hat in.

they cynic might say it’s the only reason news ltd have agreed as they know the new club won’t be any real competition to the broncos.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well tbf they are entertaining those three, or at least two of them, as they have got pokie dens and existing facilities, not because they necessarily think they have great potential to engage a mass of fans across brisbane. Nrl is super conservative and this is why they are only entertaining exisiting clubs. the nrl made it very clear last year they would only entertain bids from existing clubs, thus pushing out any opportunity for independent busIness backed city wide bids to throw their hat in.

they cynic might say it’s the only reason news ltd have agreed as they know the new club won’t be any real competition to the broncos.
Agreed that they are conservative, especially on expansion - you and I have certainly felt the frustration of that over the last 20 years.

I guess time will tell but being that Brisbane is an underserviced RL city, I think you could trot out anyone and they'd instantly be one of the best attended and watched clubs in the NRL. They won't outdraw the Broncos for a long time, but they don't need to. They need to provide weekly NRL level RL out of Suncorp to ensure that Brisbane remains a RL stronghold well into the future. The next generation here aren't growing up with the BRL or a dominant Broncos side like in the 90's, they are growing up with (currently a shit) Broncos, the Lions, the Suns, the Reds. RL needs to make sure they stand out as the dominant code in the city. I don't think it matters too much what that brand is as long as they get it right.

Like I said, we'll see how it all plays out, fingers crossed it's done right.

As long as they are called brisbane jets and play out of Suncorp why would you think that?
I fear people will associate them with Ipswich, which has a bad reputation. Plus the club plans on relocating to Ipswich once a stadium is built at North Ipswich Reserve.

I have to admit, I don't think I can support a team from Ipswich.

bluefox68

Staff member
I’m a newcomer to this discussion, although I’ve thought about it for a long time.
I studied sports management at Uni (in Brisbane) and did a 12-week PRAC with the South Queensland Crushers.

I do like the idea of a NEW team with a totally new identity. I do think the Jets and the Dolphins will struggle to shed that suburban tag.
So, the Easts Tigers having to abandon their name could end up being a blessing in disguise for them…

However, I’m not sure the NRL will go that way…

Pippen94

First Grade
Of the three bids, surely the Jets has the least potential to become a powerhouse club that has citywide appeal.

Firehawks has least potential for city wide support because they trying to be the broncos but broncos already exist.
When afl expanded in Sydney did they put another team at the scg called Sydney?? Likewise in qld?!

Pippen94

First Grade

Stop bringing quenbeyan blues or whatever they're called nobody gives a shit. Manchester United & Manchester City both started as suburban teams & look at them. Hell, NRL & afl both based on old suburban competitions & are huge profitable.
NRL must learn from failure of crushers & Melbourne City & try to emulate success of Fremantle & Wanderers etc.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Stop bringing quenbeyan blues or whatever they're called nobody gives a shit.
That post doesn't refer to the Queanbeyan Blues, but why would I stop bringing up one of the most relevant examples even if it did? It'd be stupid to willing ignore examples of what other teams in similar situations have done in the past.

Then again stupid, gut feeling, emotional decisions are RL's modus operandi.
Manchester United & Manchester City both started as suburban teams & look at them.
United started out as a company club called Newton Heath LYR FC. LYR stands for Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway whose employees in one of the departments based in Newton Heath started the team to play against other LYR departments and rail way companies football teams.

City started out as a parish club called St Mark's West Gorton, that was set up by members of St Mark's to try and get local men off the streets and proselytize to them. Initially they played mainly against other parishes' teams as well.

In other words neither of them started as suburban clubs.
Hell, NRL & afl both based on old suburban competitions & are huge profitable.
NRL must learn from failure of crushers & Melbourne City & try to emulate success of Fremantle & Wanderers etc.
Emulating Fremantle and the Wanderers would be picking a large market within the city and giving them a well backed team with a neutral brand. Ipswich or a glorified Morton Bay team with heritage brands don't fit that bill, South Brisbane on the other hand has potential as a market.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think the South Brisbane Jets or South Brisbane Firehawks is def way to go. If Dolphins in North Brisbane Dolphins.
The Ipswich council are investing $220mil into North Ipswich Reserve Stadium with the intention that the Jets become a permanent tenant, i.e. South Brisbane Jets isn't happening.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Ipswich council are investing $220mil into North Ipswich Reserve Stadium with the intention that the Jets become a permanent tenant, i.e. South Brisbane Jets isn't happening.
They want to get funding to build a new stadium but the majority would need to come from feds and state, no way the local council has $220mill for a stadium!

"The $236 million North Ipswich stadium has not been given final approval, and $2.5 million for a detailed business case is still being sought from the Queensland and federal governments. A business case evaluating both options is now being prepared to add to a formal submission for financial assistance.'

Latest posts