What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Colk

First Grade
It's not a witty joke. For it to be witty it would need to be relevant to the subject that was being discussed.

The point being discussed is that you are pumping up Brisbane (and you have done it a few times now) whilst hanging s*** on another place. Also, it has been a central theme/aspect of your argument and I find it hilarious.

Face it mate. Brisbane isn’t better or any more special than any other city in Australia. There are just as many bogans in Brisbane than anywhere else in Australia.

MugaB

Coach
The point being discussed is that you are pumping up Brisbane (and you have done it a few times now) whilst hanging s*** on another place. Also, it has been a central theme/aspect of your argument and I find it hilarious.

Face it mate. Brisbane isn’t better or any more special than any other city in Australia. There are just as many bogans in Brisbane than anywhere else in Australia.
While this is correct, there are way more bogans in Logan than any other area in the world, which is way ahead of northern england, in saying that RL is a staple sport for both areas, if we were judging RL areas by the fanatical bogans that love their Rugba Lieg, Souths Magpies would easily be gifted the next licence, followed by central coast bears then another team in the area between Liverpool and St.Marys, ala penrff v.3 (dogs mounting a case as the 2nd)
In conclusion, perf dont rate due to the dwindling amount of Bogans per capita

I speak negatively about Perth to counter Perth Red's parochial advocacy of the city. He's always whinging about Brisbane and Sydney. Perth is a great place for fumbleball fans who have a tight budget. It's a terrible place for rugby league fans.

No one who calls themselves a rugby league fan would be stupid enough to move half way across the world, settle in a rusted on fumbleball city, then spend the next 20 years whinging about it not having a rugby league team.

Colk

First Grade
I speak negatively about Perth to counter Perth Red's parochial advocacy of the city. He's always whinging about Brisbane and Sydney. Perth is a great place for fumbleball fans who have a tight budget. It's a terrible place for rugby league fans.

No one who calls themselves a rugby league fan would be stupid enough to move half way across the world, settle in a rusted on fumbleball city, then spend the next 20 years whinging about it not having a rugby league team.

Fair enough.

Perth and Brisbane are pretty similar to me. Western Australia has better beaches but I’m not really a beach type person and it is further away so that’s a negative. Nevertheless, they are both about the same - nothing super interesting but comfortable places to live like most places in Australia.

I live in Newcastle. Nothing fantastic and nothing terrible. I’m not going to talk about how wonderful it is (because I would be lying)

Personally I think there’s way more to a city than whether or not some type of sport is played there.

While this is correct, there are way more bogans in Logan than any other area in the world, which is way ahead of northern england, in saying that RL is a staple sport for both areas, if we were judging RL areas by the fanatical bogans that love their Rugba Lieg, Souths Magpies would easily be gifted the next licence, followed by central coast bears then another team in the area between Liverpool and St.Marys, ala penrff v.3 (dogs mounting a case as the 2nd)

There are plenty of "bogans" in Logan. Especially in the inner-western suburbs. Places like Woodridge, Logan Central, Kingston, Underwood and Slacks Creek. A high percentage of residents from these suburbs live in housing commissions. It's a very multicultural area, with a high amount of Polynesian, African, Aboriginal, Bosnian, Indian, Vietnamese and Indonesian immigrants.

There are very affluent suburbs on the eastern side of the motorway, such as Shailer Park, Loganholme and Daisy Hill.

What I love about Logan is the green spaces teeming with wildlife and ease of access to Brisbane and Gold Coast. The blocks of land are bigger and more reasonably priced. The best thing about living in Logan is it's a rugby league heartland that loves the game.

Imagine how horrible it would be for a rugby league fan to live in an isolated fumbleball city?

Bukowski

Juniors
It's a fair point. There's a level of sophistication here that Brisbane lacks

Fair enough.

Perth and Brisbane are pretty similar to me. Western Australia has better beaches but I’m not really a beach type person and it is further away so that’s a negative. Nevertheless, they are both about the same - nothing super interesting but comfortable places to live like most places in Australia.

I live in Newcastle. Nothing fantastic and nothing terrible. I’m not going to talk about how wonderful it is (because I would be lying)

Personally I think there’s way more to a city than whether or not some type of sport is played there.

Brisbane and Perth have a similar amount of people. Other than that they're polar opposites. Brisbane is a humid subtropical city with wet thundery summers and dry mild winters. Perth has dry hot summers and wet winters. Brisbane's climate is perfectly suited for the rugby league season and terrible for cricket. It's no wonder Lang Park pulls the biggest rugby league crowds for club games.

The off-season is always great in Brisbane because it has more thunderstorms than any other city in Australia.

I love the Brisbane skyline, river and parklands. It's the greenest major city in Australia. I've always loved being around wildlife. Everyday I get possums, flying foxes, galahs, kookaburras, lorikeets, magpies, butcher birds, crows, peewees, noisy minors, bluetongue skinks and correllas in my backyard. There's wallabies and koalas just a short drive from me. The other major cities don't offer this to the same extent.

It's a fair point. There's a level of sophistication here that Brisbane lacks
What "sophistication" does Perth have to offer?

Brisbane is building the largest arts precinct in Australia.

New theatre at Queensland Performing Arts Centre

The new performing arts venue at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre presents a significant investment in the next generation of great stories and creative talent.

The addition of the new 1,500-capacity, state-of-the-art theatre will create the largest performing arts centre in Australia. With five outstanding venues, the theatre will welcome an additional 300,000 visitors per year.

The new theatre will incorporate significant First Nations public artwork. It will also:

• bolster the state’s cultural vibrancy
  • support the local arts sector
  • drive cultural tourism and economic return for the state.

The State Tennis Centre in Burswood Perth is a shithole that lacks a centre court. The Queensland Tennis Centre in Tennyson is based on the river and has a modern centre court, with plans to build a show court.

Even Adelaide has a better tennis centre than Perth.

Lang Park is light years ahead of Perth Rectangular Stadium. The rebuilt Gabba will be better than Perth Stadium.

Fortitude Valley and Sunnybank China Town are a great place to visit.

You do have Perth Festival. Other than that there's not much to Perth.

mongoose

Coach
Knock off the strawman arguments.

I want Brisbane to have a third team because a) rugby league is a religion in SEQ and b) there's more than enough support and demand for one. The Brisbane Tigers will be self-sufficient from day one and produce more talent for the entire NRL than any other bid. The club will help the NRL generate more money from broadcast revenue because it will produce more premium content for the lucrative SEQ market.

You want a Perth-based team for no other reason than you live in that shithole bogan city that's full of dole bludgers, drunks and nutters who worship fumbleball and hate rugby league. Perth has f**k all juniors and provides negligible value to FTA and PTA. 5k lousy Foxtel subscribers from Perth watched NRL in 2017. You're a delusional dickhead if you think Kayo has increased that number substantially. Just 8k viewers from Perth watched NRL on 9Gem last year. A Perth-based club and any "development" will forever rely on handouts from RL fans in Queensland and NSW, just like the salary cap rorters from Melbourne who've contributed sweet f**k all after 25 years of pillaging SEQ and NZ for talent. That makes you and every other dumb wanker pushing for a Perth-based team a selfish and greedy bum with an entitlement complex. Get it through your thick skull that Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth will never be equal to Brisbane and Sydney in the rugby league world. Change your tampon.
League ain't religion in SEQLD, sorry to burst your bubble. It might be the most popular sport but it's not religion, not like AFL in Melbourne, cricket in India or soccer in Brazil/Argentina and parts of Europe...

Colk

First Grade
Brisbane and Perth have a similar amount of people. Other than that they're polar opposites. Brisbane is a humid subtropical city with wet thundery summers and dry mild winters. Perth has dry hot summers and wet winters. Brisbane's climate is perfectly suited for the rugby league season and terrible for cricket. It's no wonder Lang Park pulls the biggest rugby league crowds for club games.

The off-season is always great in Brisbane because it has more thunderstorms than any other city in Australia.

I love the Brisbane skyline, river and parklands. It's the greenest major city in Australia. I've always loved being around wildlife. Everyday I get possums, flying foxes, galahs, kookaburras, lorikeets, magpies, butcher birds, crows, peewees, noisy minors, bluetongue skinks and correllas in my backyard. There's wallabies and koalas just a short drive from me. The other major cities don't offer this to the same extent.

That’s great. I’m aware of the different climates.

It’s obvious I was referring to both in terms of relative interest in visiting them.

Both CBD’s are fairly uninteresting and uninspiring. There’s no great art or cultural attractions in either. Perth has better beaches than Brisbane and places outside the city like Rottnest Island and Margaret River which are nice to visit. Brisbane might have more wildlife and greenery but again the more desirable places to visit are outside the city.

Neither of these two cities are places where you would spend any more than a couple of days or what you would think are bucket list places.

mongoose

Coach
That’s great. I’m aware of the different climates.

It’s obvious I was referring to both in terms of relative interest in visiting them.

Both CBD’s are fairly uninteresting and uninspiring. There’s no great art or cultural attractions in either. Perth has better beaches than Brisbane and places outside the city like Rottnest Island and Margaret River which are nice to visit. Brisbane might have more wildlife and greenery but again the more desirable places to visit are outside the city.

Neither of these two cities are places where you would spend any more than a couple of days or what you would think are bucket list places.
I'm not going to talk up Brisbane cause I don't want to encourge the nutjob from Logan but Brisbane's surrounds are pretty amazing... you got mountains (i don't believe Perth has any decent ones close by), sub tropical rainforest, waterfalls, Gold Coast, Sunshine coast, Moreton Island, Stradbroke island, the NSW north coast only 2 hours away including the overrated Byron Bay. You can swim with and literally pat dolphins at either Moreton and Stradbroke island, you can snorkel and dive with manta rays off stratty... Say what you like about Brisbane but SEQLD is like a big outdoor wonderland..

Colk

First Grade
I'm not going to talk up Brisbane cause I don't want to encourge the nutjob from Logan but Brisbane's surrounds are pretty amazing... you got mountains (i don't believe Perth has any decent ones close by), sub tropical rainforest, waterfalls, Gold Coast, Sunshine coast, Moreton Island, Stradbroke island, the NSW north coast only 2 hours away including the overrated Byron Bay. You can swim with and literally pat dolphins at either Moreton and Stradbroke island, you can snorkel and dive with manta rays off stratty... Say what you like about Brisbane but SEQLD is like a big outdoor wonderland..

Agreed. As I said in my post the best places are outside of Brisbane.

Probably the same with every city in this country. The best places to visit in Australia are places outside of the cities.

Good shouts as well. Stradbroke Island is pretty amazing. The hinterland is quite picturesque as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There isn't a single place on the planet that's surroundings aren't pretty amazing in their own way. The truth is that none of the cities in Australia are particularly special or interesting, certainly not Brisbane or Perth, and successive generations of mismanagement and broken ideology has only compounded those issues.

However whether or not a city can be considered amongst the great cities of the world, or whether they live up to GROTD's schizo standards, aren't relevant as to whether or not they could or should host a new NRL side.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Unless something unforeseeable happens the next three teams should come from Perth, NZ, and Adelaide in no particular order.

Anything else is taking the piss and a dereliction of the NRL's responsibilities to the game. If that doesn't happen they should just give it up, admit that they have no interest in being a national product and don't care about the sport's health outside of NSW and Qld, and allow us all to move on with our own plans.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Essentially what you weak pieces of shit are saying (that's @Get Rid of The Donkeys @MugaB and @Wb1234 ) is that you think Rugby League is such a shit product that it could never appeal to anyone outside of its current heartland.

You clowns are basically the most anti-Rugby League fans on the whole forum
Yeah that's effectively been their position all along.

It's totally inconsistent as well. In one breath RL is the greatest game on earth, in the next it couldn't possibly hope to expand outside of it's borders and why would it want to anyway, then in the one after that it's a great idea if it will help them achieve one of their goals like bringing the Bears back. It's the same BS that the regressive protectionist types in the sport have been saying for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Unless something unforeseeable happens the next three teams should come from Perth, NZ, and Adelaide in no particular order.

Anything else is taking the piss and a dereliction of the NRL's responsibilities to the game. If that doesn't happen they should just give it up, admit that they have no interest in being a national product and don't care about the sport's health outside of NSW and Qld, and allow us all to move on with our own plans.

No. There's bid for any of those places anyway.