What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

MugaB

Coach
This is a Brisbane3 thread. We have a Pasifika thread, in fact numerous!
Someone make me a moderator for heavens sake!
This is correct, weve gone on a tangent....
And yuk no way... PR would ban anyone who didnt speak ill of the NRL
Screenshot_20230517-211833_Gallery.jpg

MugaB

Coach
If that’s the case it’s bullshit attaching the Pasifika name to it. I don’t think the idea is terrible but make it just FNQ-PNG an FC have a real commitment to bringing players through from PNG, including a feeder arrangement with the Hunters.
That was my thought, maybe theyve attached the Pasifika angle to it for some other reason..
Ive been saying a team just for that region in FNQ-PNG was the shoe in as it was going to get govt funding

Diesel

Referee
Here ya go @Perth Red

Tigers bid chief Shane Richardson has warned the NRL is under attack from the AFL in a Queensland turf war, describing rugby league’s development plan in Brisbane’s western corridor as “horrendous”.
The Brisbane Tigers officially launched their bid for the NRL’s 18th licence on Wednesday as part of a $10 million redevelopment of their Langlands Park headquarters to become Queensland’s fifth franchise.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has hailed the success of the new Dolphins franchise and the rise of the Redcliffe operation has emboldened the NRL to consider fresh expansion for 2027-28.

While a Pasifika franchise based in Cairns is considered the front-runner, the Brisbane Tigers have launched their latest expansion bid, which first began in 1998 when they explored a merger with Balmain and the Gold Coast Chargers.
The NRL is represented by the Broncos, Titans and Dolphins along the coast of south-east Queensland, but Brisbane’s western corridor remains vacant and the AFL has begun their aggressive march into rugby league heartland.

Richardson has put V’landys on notice against the AFL’s invasion and says the inclusion of the Brisbane Tigers as the 18th club would give the NRL a crucial weapon in Brisbane’s western-corridor goldmine.

“It’s horrendous that we are ignoring the western corridor of Brisbane,” Richardson.

“The AFL is a massive threat in that region and its schools.

“They are taking us on. Why have they moved there (Brisbane’s west)? Because that’s the growth area for Queensland over the next 10 years.

“Why aren’t we there?

“League is in huge trouble if we don’t go to the western corridor. The AFL has money to spend and they have the financial wherewithal to do it, they are smart, but they don’t have the heart and soul at this stage and that’s league’s trump card.

“The Brisbane Tigers have an established presence in that region, we have links with Booval Swifts at Ipswich.

“We could build a high-performance centre in western Brisbane tomorrow and be right next door to the AFL and take them head on.

“If the Brisbane Tigers won an NRL licence, we would shore up everything from the Logan area to the western corridor and close the door on the AFL.

“The biggest growth of the game is in south-east Queensland, so in the words of David Gallop (former NRL CEO), why not fish where the fish are?

“It’s an outstanding bid ... we can’t be overlooked.”

The Tigers want to make Queensland an even bigger NRL stronghold. Picture: Liam Kidston.

The Tigers want to make Queensland an even bigger NRL stronghold. Picture: Liam Kidston.
Brisbane Tigers NRL bid chairman Shane Edwards said the consortium has the financial clout of the Broncos and Dolphins. It is understood Easts Leagues Club has $25 million in the bank with a net-asset base of $57 million.

Edwards, the former Broncos CEO, is adamant Queensland would not be saturated by having a fifth team.

“South-east Queensland fans are craving more high-quality rugby league, with our four existing Queensland based teams still leaving our fans wanting more,” he said.

“Suncorp Stadium has the capacity to support another NRL team. This year’s 27 rounds of the regular season will see nine weekends where no game is played at Lang Park.

“With the strong attendance and audience figures we are seeing the Dolphins achieve in their debut year, we believe the Brisbane Tigers can provide a similar stimulus in the south-west corridor that takes in the Logan and Ipswich regions.

“We will build upon our programs that already empower Queensland grassroots footy clubs and thousands of local players to dream big, and offer unique fan experiences with the game we love.

“If successful in becoming the 18th NRL team, our goal is to be the go-to club for sports fans on Brisbane’s southside and western corridor and the millions of casual fans between the ages of 18 to 34 who do not currently support the Broncos, Dolphins or Titans.”

Gobsmacked

Bench
I know this sounds a little silly but we have 2 Brisbane teams- a direct conflict, a cross town rivalry, a bit of hatred. Doesn't a third team kinda create a third wheel?
Does it kill the rivalry?
I think it kinda does and surely everyone in Brisbane is accommodated for now right?
Haven't we learned our lesson about oversaturated cities..cough cough Sydney?
I'm a Queenslander that lives in Brisbane, I wasn't a Bronco supporter but I jumped on the Dolphins.
Who wasn't a Broncos supporter that didn't jump on the Dolphins or continued supporting another team?

I wouldn’t be looking at another Brisbane team for 20 years minimum.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Really bizarre that after 11 games, we're talking about another team in the same place 😳
Bonkers.
I guess you can't blame them, who wouldn't want to be in the NRL?
ask any of them: would you like a 16 million dollar grant pa and be part of the biggest Rugby comp in the world?

The NRL said they want another Brisbane team- they got one.

The NRL have said they want another NZ team ( over a year ago) and I believe that they will get what THEY want for their business.
All this noise is just that.

greenBV4

Bench
I've never understood why we would need 3 teams in Brisbane to "combat" the AFL's one
If kids in Brissy are choosing to play AFL over league I doubt its because there isnt enough first grade teams.

Tell the Broncos to put more attention into the west if its needed, have the arlc invest in better school programs, and tell the tigers they are better off spending the money they're willing to throw into an NRL team on their grassroots

mongoose

Coach
I've never understood why we would need 3 teams in Brisbane to "combat" the AFL's one
If kids in Brissy are choosing to play AFL over league I doubt its because there isnt enough first grade teams.

Tell the Broncos to put more attention into the west if its needed, have the arlc invest in better school programs, and tell the tigers they are better off spending the money they're willing to throw into an NRL team on their grassroots
I think there's some fear mongering going on. Richardson knows if he brings up the "AFL threat" V'landys will pay attention.

i0Nic

Juniors
For the sake of growing the footprint and building a true national competition it's gotta be Perth next. There is already a rugby league fanbase there, there is a great stadium, there is evidence that they would get the crowds. It extends the game into a new state on the other end of the country and properly supported, will help grow the game in WA like the Storm is doing (slowly) in Victoria. Then the NRL can't be viewed as an East Coast only competition.

After that NZ2 could be a coup for the NRL, growing the fanbase in NZ and setting up a rivalry with the Warriors. It also creates further differentiation with the AFL by having cross-Tasman teams, something the AFL will never achieve by giving the comp an international flavour. A PNG / Pacifika team is also appealing by this train of thought, but I don't want a QLD based FIFO team to represent Pacifika.

Brisbane3 seems like it could be successful, the growing population of SEQ and AFL threat makes me give it some thought. However I'd rather see Broncos and Dolphins growing substantially, same with Titans and Cowboys. We have enough teams in QLD. Adelaide should be the target for the NRL in 10+ years time, cement the national competition. Grow the game in a new state. This is the aggressive growth approach. Adding more teams to QLD feels like a defensive move.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
For the sake of growing the footprint and building a true national competition it's gotta be Perth next. There is already a rugby league fanbase there, there is a great stadium, there is evidence that they would get the crowds. It extends the game into a new state on the other end of the country and properly supported, will help grow the game in WA like the Storm is doing (slowly) in Victoria. Then the NRL can't be viewed as an East Coast only competition.

After that NZ2 could be a coup for the NRL, growing the fanbase in NZ and setting up a rivalry with the Warriors. It also creates further differentiation with the AFL by having cross-Tasman teams, something the AFL will never achieve by giving the comp an international flavour. A PNG / Pacifika team is also appealing by this train of thought.

Brisbane3 seems like it could be successful, the growing population of SEQ and AFL threat makes me give it some thought. However I'd rather see Broncos and Dolphins growing substantially, same with Titans and Cowboys. We have enough teams in QLD. Adelaide should be the target for the NRL in 10+ years time, cement the national competition. Grow the game in a new state. This is the aggressive growth approach. Adding more teams to QLD feels like a defensive move.

National footprint means nothing. Whole country watches origin & grand final anyway. Better to have financially strong clubs who don't need bailing out & with system to produce juniors

Gobsmacked

Bench
What if the East Tiger simply identify as an NRL team? 💁‍♂️
It will be offensive to call them a Qcup side and in such instances we could afford them a room at NRL HQ as a " safe space" 👍

i0Nic

Juniors
National footprint means nothing. Whole country watches origin & grand final anyway. Better to have financially strong clubs who don't need bailing out & with system to produce juniors
That's great people watch Origin and GF around the country but it's a passing novelty for many in those states. We need to grow fans, juniors, sponsors, TV viewers, members etc There is only so much opportunity in NSW and QLD to grow the game, and if you're not growing you're dead.

greenBV4

Bench
Better to have financially strong clubs who don't need bailing out & with system to produce juniors
How many of the Sydney clubs are financially strong?
Tigers, Jets, Bears, etc. are all already producing juniors for NRL clubs

Whose to say expansion teams wouldn't be financially strong? either from the get go with backers, or eventually after a bit of investment (which would be returned)

Colk

First Grade
How many of the Sydney clubs are financially strong?
Tigers, Jets, Bears, etc. are all already producing juniors for NRL clubs

Whose to say expansion teams wouldn't be financially strong? either from the get go with backers, or eventually after a bit of investment (which would be returned)
That's great people watch Origin and GF around the country but it's a passing novelty for many in those states. We need to grow fans, juniors, sponsors, TV viewers, members etc There is only so much opportunity in NSW and QLD to grow the game, and if you're not growing you're dead.

Don’t waste your time people. He essentially just baits everybody and then gets personal and throws little fits when he is cornered or asked to provide evidence for his views.

He is probably an AFL supporter as he seems to argue things for the game that they (AFL)would want RL to do.

Pippen94

First Grade

Have the same financial benefit without going there. Annual doubleheader or magic round will do. Don't have to worry about club falling over. Perth & Melbourne will never produce juniors because system is impossible to put in place at this stage. Phil Gould showed Penrith & now bulldogs that with infrastructure you can ramp up production. Academics in south west Brisbane will produce more players then decades of southern states