What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Centy Coast

Juniors
Sounds like norths has got nowhere with Perth NZ or PNG.
The Bears haven’t spoken to PNG at all, not sure about NZ2 but if former Bears legend Mark Graham has any influence this would be the Bears preference, discussions with Perth have happened and many Bears fans prefer this option including myself.
The Bears have only mentioned Pacifika (NZ) and Perth.
The Bears will go where the NRL directs them to go.
The NRL won’t decide yet, discussions are taking place, it will be interesting.
This talk of the Tigers and Bears is relatively new, but it keeps being mentioned again and again.
With both being feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm maybe unofficial discussions have taken place, some players seem to think these rumours have merit.
Time will tell.

Better off with a different mascot all together, and frankly snce the arlc has already given a licence to the dolphins, theyd be better off being in a different city too...
What you are proposing is a name change to their whole brand just to get a licence, not to benefit their current set up, the firehawks sucked as a bid, but thats the way they had to do it, wests tigers exist, they aren't going to create an Easts Tigers in the comp too..
I proposed years back, Brisbane Sabres as it still keeps a tiger mascot without confusing it with wests
Even if they don't get an NRL licence, I still think it would be better for them to be the Bengals than the Tigers. Bengals provides alliteration and helps the club distance itself from Balmain and Richmond. As long as they're the Tigers they'll be compared with Balmain and Richmond. Plus there's the Easts Tigers RU club in Brisbane.

Sabres could work. Especially if they went with the name South Brisbane Sabres.

Another mascot I think is workable is Quolls. There were spotted-tailed Quolls in SEQ before colonisation.

@Canard

We were established as the Coorparoo Bengals back in 1917. Then in 1933 the Bengals merged with the Wynnum Manly club to form the Eastern Suburbs Tigers. It’s always been a club that moves with the times, because more often than not, it’s needed to.” club CEO Brian Torpy told ESPN.

IMG_2040.png

Canard

Immortal
Because if the Tigers were to make a bid obviously they can’t be called the Tigers, why is this so hard to understand ?.
That's not hard, but why use a name widely associated with American Football?

I suppose it's keeping the theme of every NRL team in QLD being a clone of a NFL team name.

It's a huge non issue right now anyway, they aren't in the NRL and aren't likely to be for some time.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's a pretty simple equation for the Brisbane Tigers if they want in the NRL...

They can't use their Tiger brand, so they'll have to use something else.... like Broncos.

They are an inner city club that have branded themselves Brisbane to represent the whole city.... like the Broncos.

The Broncos are a publicly listed company, pour your cash into buying a significant slice of the club and increase your position over time (essentially buy the portion of the shares that News don't own) and there you go... you have your NRL team.

Broncos get a dedicated pathway system and Tigers cash / assets, Tigers get an NRL team.

NRL can then work with Brisbane Bombers / Ipswich Jets to get a strong Western Corridor club up and running.

MugaB

Coach
Demerge the west tigers and relocate the tigers half to Brisbane and the wests half to campbelltown or preferably Liverpool to be known as the western magpies or greater western magpies.
Go support hulls then...
Can't go demerge anyone to please some new expansion side, stupid idea, and I feel stooped for retorting to it

docbrown

Coach
This talk of the Tigers and Bears is relatively new, but it keeps being mentioned again and again.
With both being feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm maybe unofficial discussions have taken place, some players seem to think these rumours have merit.
Time will tell.
Can you expand further on the Tigers Bears talk?

Latest posts