What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Bukowski

Juniors
View attachment 86954
Well this is the season so far:

Broncos - 1 & 3 peaks were derbies. 2nd was following on from a derby week. 4th was Vegas event. The other non derbies were all lower.

Cowboys - 1 & 2 peaks were derbies. 3rd was following on from a derby week. 4th was a derby too. The other non derbies were all lower.

Dolphins - 1 & 2 peaks were derbies. 3rd & 4th were following on from a derby week. 5th & 6th were derbies.

Titans - 1 was a derby. 2 was opening game. 3 was the last round. 4th was a derby. The other non derbies were lower.

I think what you see is interest peaks when there is a derby game (Rounds 4 & 6 in particular) and then there is often a residual overhang in interest in that same team the following week, particularly if a team has played well (Round 7).
Nice mate, very informative as usual! Cheers

Centy Coast

Juniors
I really hope Bears go to Brisbane, it'd be hilarious for Qlnd to have to support a NSW club :)
If the Bears went to Brisbane they would be a QLD side, you know that the Bears had a huge following in Qld during the 90’s.
Qld players like Billy Moore, Gary Larson, Peter Jackson, Les Kiss, Tony Hearn, Martin Bella, Ian and Brett French, Brett Dallas, Tony Rea, Ben Ikin, Kerry Boustead, Gavin Jones, Jamie Goddard and Terry Butler are just some QLD Bears players that come to mind.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
If the Bears went to Brisbane they would be a QLD side, you know that the Bears had a huge following in Qld during the 90’s.
Qld players like Billy Moore, Gary Larson, Peter Jackson, Les Kiss, Tony Hearn, Martin Bella, Ian and Brett French, Brett Dallas, Tony Rea, Ben Ikin, Kerry Boustead, Gavin Jones and Jamie Goddard are just some QLD Bears players that come to mind.
And Queensland state of Origin Coach
Billy Slater. Playing for the
North Sydney Grizzlies Bear's 🐻

Just a few of the boys having a beer together a few weeks ago when the QLD Cup didn’t take place, one with Wynnum-Manly Seagulls, another with the Burleigh Bears, one from the North Sydney Bears and one playing with the Brisbane Tigers) just saying they’d heard talks, saying it would be sick to play together again if it happened as they all played at Ourimbah together through juniors.
Then I heard it again yesterday from a few of the Magpie boys at their match so obviously the boys have been talking.
I just wondered if the Brisbane Bears title/name had been trade marked by AFL and if they still own it.
The AFL Bear was a koala not a grizzly so maybe it doesn’t matter ?.
I’m going to a game at North Sydney Oval in a few weeks so I’ll do some digging then.
That’s all I know.
Personally I can’t see another Brisbane team coming in so soon after the Dolphins.
Both Brisbane Tigers (Hostplus QLD Cup, 2023 defending Premiers) and the Bears (Knock on Effect NSW Cup, 2023 Minor Premiers and Grand Finalists) are two of the leading teams in their respective competitions.
Both are feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm plus the Brisbane Tigers can’t use the Tiger logo and the Bears are available.
Maybe this was an option if their other preferences weren’t accepted by the NRL ?.
Who knows ?.
East Coast Bears. Three way merger between Brisbane Tigers, Burleigh Bears and North Sydney Bears. Eight games at Lang Park. Four at Robina.

Brisbane2's crowds are already dropping. Titans continue to struggle. Think we need to wait a bit (like 10-15 years) before adding another competitor into the SEQ market.
This is bullshit.

Rd 1 vs Cowboys 32,477 @ Lang Park
Rd 2 vs Dragons 10,011 @ Dolphin Oval
Rd 5 vs Tigers 22,051 @ Lang Park

An average of 27,264 @ Lang Park over two games.

Yet to play the Broncos @ Lang Park. That game will draw close to 50k.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Even if there’s a brand spanking new stadium built there?
I was being a little tongue in cheek, as half? of Liverpool is part of the Wests Magpies junior competition area.

I live in the Macarthur but don’t support the West Tigers so maybe I shouldn’t comment. But I think people would be disappointed to lose the few Campbelltown games they get, even to Liverpool. If a brand new stadium was built they would probably adjust. Remember Macarthur Bulls A-League soccer team uses the ground, so they’d probably lose them as well. That should help get an upgrade to Campbelltown you’d think. The Campbelltown Sports Stadium is right next to Leumeah train station (check Google maps) and right next to the Wests Macarthur clubhouse. That’s pretty ideally located.

Liverpool is the northernmost part of the Wests Magpies Macarthur area, like an iceberg most of their area is below that.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Qld players like Billy Moore, Gary Larson, Peter Jackson, Les Kiss, Tony Hearn, Martin Bella, Ian and Brett French, Brett Dallas, Tony Rea, Ben Ikin, Kerry Boustead, Gavin Jones, Jamie Goddard and Terry Butler are just some QLD Bears players that come to mind.
Canberra, Manly, Cronulla could put together a big list of QLD players too, I wouldn't suggest any of them relocating there though. Brisbane 3 would have to be a QLD cup brand, would be ridiculous to shift the Bears there and I think they would struggle to get support too.

MugaB

Coach
Canberra, Manly, Cronulla could put together a big list of QLD players too, I wouldn't suggest any of them relocating there though. Brisbane 3 would have to be a QLD cup brand, would be ridiculous to shift the Bears there and I think they would struggle to get support too.
Unless it was a 2nd gold coast team, based in Burliegh..... which i dont even think we are happy with one gold coast team let alone 2, i can imagine it now colors of Black, Red and Maroon