What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Vlad59

Juniors
Fantastic post. From the sounds of it this is what the NRL also think. There's also no reason why the comp can't be 21 teams with Perth, NZ2, PNG & Brisbane 3 all getting a club at some point if all the financials are in place.

South East Queensland has 4 million people now and will have 6 million people by 2045. Sydney has 5.5 million now and has 9 teams.

4 teams is less than half the current Sydney saturation quantity. Just let the Dolphins have more time to build their base and the area will be ready.
Amongst all of the floating turds in these discussions it was a pleasure to read his post and your response

What V'landys said is how I feel about a 5th Queensland team coming in for now. We need to give the Dolphins a few more years' breathing space before another Brisbane bid is considered.

I can tell you as a Brisbane resident the support for the Dolphins is fever pitch. They knocked off a supposed contender in the Sharks last night, they've been all over the local news up here for most of this year, they have a genuine bona fide star in the Hammer, I even hear my colleagues talking about them in the office.

Let the Dolphins enjoy their time in the sun, let them continue to build a massive following. Don't let anything come in locally that will detract from the magnificent achievements their club has made in such a short space of time.

But what GROTD has said about the financials stacking up for a Brisbane bid team is true as well. But I would urge caution. Let the people of Perth and the south island of NZ celebrate the arrival of their own NRL teams, and then come back to Brisbane. Patience is the key for a 5th Queensland team.
V'landys spoke endlessly about basing a PNG team out of Cairns a few months ago until the PNG Gov rejected the idea.

Now he's saying a third Brisbane team will hurt the Cowboys?

He's not making sense.

V'landys wants to revive a 10th NSWRL club and have it play two games in Sydney. That's the very definition of cannibalising an already over saturated market.

I'd say his masters at News Ltd don't want a third Brisbane team eating into the Broncos. He's doing their bidding because they have his nuts in a vice.

Titans definitely won't want another team, although their opinion shouldn't matter because they're a basket case. The club had 17 seasons to draw a following on the Gold Coast with the Broncos being their only competitor in SEQ. Nothing can help that club because it represents a dud market that doesn't support its professional sports teams.

Dolphins really need to stop playing regular season games at Dolphin Oval. All twelve home games need to be played at Lang Park. If they continue to place the interests of Redcliffe Dolphins fans in Moreton Bay ahead of potential Dolphins NRL fans across Greater Brisbane then they will increase the demand for a third team based on the southside.

I have mixed feelings on Perth. Their AwFuL clubs are able to work because the WAFL is a very strong competition and there's plenty of corporate state in Perth for fumbleball. It still hasn't stopped the tyranny of distance from having an adverse impact on its cluba' ability to retain players.

I cannot see a Perth-based NRL club being anything but also-rans. The WARL is substandard and the prospect of semi-professional players from the Queensland and NSW Cup having to juggle work commitments with flying to Perth will be a logistical nightmare. Queensland Cup teams are provided with compensation when they play in Port Moresby.

I'd imagine something similar will need to be arranged with a Perth-based team that competes at this level?

A Perth-based NRL club will survive, but I cannot see it thriving like the Melbourne Storm. TV ratings for fumbleball in Perth are terrible due to the timezone being two hours behind the east coast.

mongoose

Coach
V'landys spoke endlessly about basing a PNG team out of Cairns a few months ago until the PNG Gov rejected the idea.

He's not making sense.

V'landys wants to revive a 10th NSWRL club and have it play two games in Sydney. That's the very definition of cannibalising an already over saturated market.

I'd say his masters at News Ltd don't want a third Brisbane team eating into the Broncos. He's doing their bidding because they have his nuts in a vice.

Titans definitely won't want another team, although their opinion shouldn't matter because they're a basket case. The club had 17 seasons to draw a following on the Gold Coast with the Broncos being their only competitor in SEQ. Nothing can help that club because it represents a dud market that doesn't support its professional sports teams.

Dolphins really need to stop playing regular season games at Dolphin Oval. All twelve home games need to be played at Lang Park. If they continue to place the interests of Redcliffe Dolphins fans in Moreton Bay ahead of potential Dolphins NRL fans across Greater Brisbane then they will increase the demand for a third team based on the southside.

I have mixed feelings on Perth. Their AwFuL clubs are able to work because the WAFL is a very strong competition and there's plenty of corporate state in Perth for fumbleball. It still hasn't stopped the tyranny of distance from having an adverse impact on its cluba' ability to retain players.

I cannot see a Perth-based NRL club being anything but also-rans. The WARL is substandard and the prospect of semi-professional players from the Queensland and NSW Cup having to juggle work commitments with flying to Perth will be a logistical nightmare. Queensland Cup teams are provided with compensation when they play in Port Moresby.

I'd imagine something similar will need to be arranged with a Perth-based team that competes at this level?

A Perth-based NRL club will survive, but I cannot see it thriving like the Melbourne Storm. TV ratings for fumbleball in Perth are terrible due to the timezone being two hours behind the east coast.
no one gives a shit what your feelings are. You've shat on every bid that isn't Brisbane Tigers in the last few weeks (what you have mercilessly accused PR of doing). Brisbane 3 have pretty much been shut out of consideration for team 18 and maybe even 19 and now you're taking your frustration out on V'landys.

no one gives a shit what your feelings are. You've shat on every bid that isn't Brisbane Tigers in the last few weeks (what you have mercilessly accused PR of doing). Brisbane 3 have pretty much been shut out of consideration for team 18 and maybe even 19 and now you're taking your frustration out on V'landys.
I've pointed out the flaws of the other bids. It's not a requirement to say all non-Brisbans bids are great and must be promoted ASAP just because insecure people on LU want teams in Adelaide and Perth.

You and your mates have been critical of every Brisbane bid for years. Don't pretend that you haven't been biased.

I'm not the only one frustrated with V'landys. All of the people who want a standalone Perth-based team will be angry as f**k If they're forced to partner with the Bears. The people who are against PNG will be angry if the dumb proposal is given the greenlight. That's all on V'landys.

You're frustrated because Cowboys smashed Raiders and Feldt has scored 137 tries versus Rapana's 108.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
I would stop the season for three weeks and play the following three game series.

Queensland vs New South Wales (Men and Women)
Samoa vs Tonga
PNG vs Fiji

That's four games per week. More than enough content for the broadcasters. If a deal can be worked with the RFL to run the Baskerville Shield in England at the same time then it's great for representative football.

That’s not even enough games for me each week let alone the broadcasters.

Wb1234

Referee

He's not making sense.

Dolphins should eventually play 2 home games at Sunshine Coast stadium when it’s done and the rest at Suncorp then they have excellent geographical spread from north Brisbane up

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Great idea, I have never thought of that before, there are 13 NSW Cup teams and 15 QLD Cup teams, you could add the WA CAS and VIC CAS representative teams to even out the numbers.
Maybe you could limit the amount of NRL talent in each squad to games played that year.

Seeming the idea is a second tier knock out competition the integrity of the competition doesn’t have to be 100%

From the earlier suggestion you can have a knock out competition with the current 28 teams.

14 games with 28 teams go into 7 games with 14 teams.

Take the 7 winners and best performing loser from the previous weekend and give them a wildcard into the quarter finals.

Vlad59

Juniors

He's not making sense.

Potato

Canard

Immortal
It pretty much is though.
The pre-season of a major comp is in NO way comparable to a 2nd tier comp.

There has never been, and never will be, any appetite for 2nd tier sports in the Australian sporting landscape.

For some reason this is an enduring LU myth, that we just slap a new coat of paint on a 2nd tier comp and $$$$ flow

Canard

Immortal
The teams are filled with second tier players.

Heck the Broncos run out a Burleigh’s team in one game and it rated okay.
It rates because it's the Broncos.

The QCup and NSW Cup don't rate a pinch of shit.

These are development tiers, not some untapped money making revenue stream.

Latest posts