What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Noa

First Grade
2 Orange/Blues I did a while back:

centralqueensland.jpg

centralqld.jpg

Orange & blue is always a winner for me. But then Im a Netherlands fan from way back

Perth Red

Post Whore
The "Western Corridor" bid has been very quiet of late. Maybe they are waiting for the Bombers to die down before announcing their progress or maybethere has been no progress?

joshreading

Staff member
On one level I rather the business expertise and connections of the Bombers but the more distinct regional possibilities (and even stadium) and distance from Brisbane City given by the Western Corridor are appealing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Suncorp has to be used for RL as much as possible and with the business connections of the Bombers set up they are streets ahead imo.

joshreading

Staff member
I would certainly agree that Suncorp is important to use but the strategies of gaining support is atleast a little concerning with the Bombers. The idea being that anyone who hates the Broncos is not a bad start but I am not sure that it will be enough. They have also limited their identity to Brisbane rather than opening key direct doors in identity to areas like the Sunshine Coast. (SQ might have helped more)

At least the Ipswich bid has a regionalised identity

Perth Red

Post Whore
True and if there is enough points of difference to attract fans from the region who for whatever won't support the Broncos remains to be seen. Just as will there be enough fans in WA and will anyone turn up for the CC Bears week in and week out. No guarantees in any of the bids. If I was running the Bombers bid my next strategic foicus would be fansbase and getting people on board. WA fans have shown they will turn up for a game and really have no other option if they want to see NRL livebut will they be stayers if and when the team sucks? and Bears have a decent membership of around 5000 CC fans but that is still a long way off the 15-20k you would hope a new team will pull in.

I have some doubts about a club named "Western Corridor" being a distinct enough region to have a seperate identity to Brisbane fans.

otori

Juniors
I don't really get the obsession with the Valleys brand on this forum. The Diehards is a decent name sure but the only thing that Fortitude Valley residents get up to that even closely resembles league is a 34 man reach around at the Family on Sunday nights.

BDGS

Bench
This bid hasn't limited itself to Brisbane, it's connections with redcliffe, sunshine coast and south Logan will ensure fans from those areas along with RL fans in Brisbane and anyone that hates the broncos in SEQ.

Quidgybo

Bench
I have some doubts about a club named "Western Corridor" being a distinct enough region to have a seperate identity to Brisbane fans.
I think it's highly unlikely that the final team name will be something as abstract as Western Corridor. It'll be Brisbane, South Queensland or something else specific but with a suitably wide appeal.

Leigh

smithie

Juniors
I think it's highly unlikely that the final team name will be something as abstract as Western Corridor. It'll be Brisbane, South Queensland or something else specific but with a suitably wide appeal.

Leigh

There is no way in hell the word "Brisbane" will be in the name of the Ipswich bid (a.k.a. Western Corridor bid). The only name they can use is "South Queensland" because it's vague enough to try and get supporters from outside Ipswich.

Quidgybo

Bench
There is no way in hell the word "Brisbane" will be in the name of the Ipswich bid (a.k.a. Western Corridor bid).
The team will play out of Suncorp and effectively be Brisbane's second team every bit as much as the Bombers would be. I think any name that reflects that is potentially in play once the marketing men get hold of it.

Leigh

Goddo

Bench
The team will play out of Suncorp and effectively be Brisbane's second team every bit as much as the Bombers would be. I think any name that reflects that is potentially in play once the marketing men get hold of it.

Leigh

They will only be at Suncorp until their stadium at Springfield is built. 3 years max, so Suncorp until 2016-18 at the latest, depending on when the NRL expands.

Names that would fit the bid would include:

Ipswich-Logan (hypenated name like Canterbury-Bankstown)

West Brisbane (although "South-South-West Brisbane" better describes the catchment)

South Queensland (very vague, but would losely take in Toowomba - Ipswich - Logan)

They won't be called Brisbane "XXXXX".

Sunshine Coast/Redclife corridor > Ipswich Western corridor

Well, I'd like to see both in the NRL ahead of a generic side like the "Brisbane Bombers"

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
definitely.

Why?

Population growth and demographics indicate the Ipswich-Logan "Corridor" to use Gallops term is the place to be putting a new side.

A Sunnie Coast/North Brisbane/Redcliffe club would be an obvious location for a side too, but it won't be ready for the NRL as soon as the Ipswich-Logan region. The regional council on the Sunshine Coast recognise as much - they have land put asside for a 40k stadium and sporting presinct, but recognise the area won't be ready for a long while yet.

With the new rail line, major road infrastructure, lots of new suburbs and housing projects, halfway between the population centres of Ipswich and Logan, Springfield is an excellent site for an NRL side. Gallop had done his homework when he suggested it.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
So do I. Reds and Jets for the win. This bid has made a lot of noise and got great publicity, but its brand is gay.

I'd love to see this bid rebranded as "Brisbane Valleys" with a Kookaburra mascot.

Cool, Diehard-Burras!

The Ipswichy bid could be the Springfield Isotopes.

BuffaloRules

Coach

SOUTH-EAST Queensland appears likely to be home to a 17th NRL team after club bosses were told it was the only area where a new side would increase the value of the next television rights deal.
The news is a blow to the Central Coast Bears and other bid teams who are vying to enter the NRL when officials decide to expand.
However, the advice of Colin Smith, of LEK Consulting, who has been engaged by the NRL as a consultant on the next broadcast rights deal, is a boost for the hopes of the recently launched Brisbane Bombers and the Ipswich consortium.
The newly established independent commission, which is due to take over the running of the game from November 1, would be expected to call for applications from other interested bidders when and if they decide to expand the competition.
With officials having ruled out commencing formal negotiations for the new broadcast deal to start in 2013 until the commission comes to power, it is almost certain that no new team will be admitted before 2014 - and possibly not until 2017.
There is a view that Perth should be the first place the game expands to, as the two-hour time difference would enable a live match to be broadcast on the eastern seaboard at either 9.30pm Friday or Saturday or 6pm Sunday.
NRL officials outlined three scenarios for the next television deal, which ranged from $1 billion over five years to $1.4 billion. The amount of the salary cap and club grant would depend on the value of the television deal, with funding and player payments to increased to:
$1 billion TV deal:
- Salary cap: $5.1 billion
- Club grant: $5.6 million
$1.2 billion
- Cap $5.9 million
- Grant $6.45 million
$1.4 billion
- Cap: $6.6 million
- Grant: $7.2 million
Smith is understood to have told last Thursday's conference of NRL club chief executives and chairmen that the only new team broadcasters would pay more for in the next rights deal was one based in south-east Queensland.
Club bosses were told that television executives believed Queenslanders were ''peculiar'' in that they would support any Queensland team - the Broncos, the Cowboys or the Titans - but not teams from anywhere else.
That theory was the reason Channel Nine began televising two Friday night games several season ago - one involving a Queensland team that is broadcast live in Queensland each week.
However, officials want to scrap the second Friday night game and a number of alternative time slots were discussed at last week's meeting - including a return to a 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoons.
From 2013, there could be Saturday games at 3pm, 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
Also under consideration is a 6pm Sunday match, which has had mixed success in AFL.
The Herald was told yesterday that all time slots were options when talks with the broadcasters officially kick off. However, the clubs insisted that they want fixed scheduling to be introduced from the 2013 season onwards and expect the negotiating team, which is yet to be decided, to enter discussions on that basis.
Monday night football is here to stay, and could be on free-to-air television for the first time in 2013 as it is attracts up to 400,000 viewers each week on Fox Sports.
Clubs expect to receive greater compensation from the next television deal for hosting games on Monday nights than they currently get.
Officials are considering selling games on Friday nights, Saturdays, Sundays and Monday nights to separate broadcasters.
State of Origin and Test football could also be sold separately to premiership matches and the finals series.

The winner of the Ipswich Jets/Brisbane Bombers battle looks certain to be the next club in

Dont like the 2017 option though - first time I have seen this.

Goddo

Bench
Which will it be, thats the big question... the Jets and Bombers offer two very different models for the future of Rugby League in Queensland.

I guess the winner will be determined by the model the NRL has for the future of the game there -

If they want to have a satellite style set up, with the Broncos at its core, you would expect the Jets to get up, with a longer term view to having a Sunshine Coast/Redcliffe/North Brisbane franchise.

If they go with the Bombers I don't think there will be expansion in Queensland for a long time, as it leans heavily towards the AFL 2 team per city model.

I'd rather the Jets model, but its up to the commission.