What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters
Which will it be, thats the big question... the Jets and Bombers offer two very different models for the future of Rugby League in Queensland.

I guess the winner will be determined by the model the NRL has for the future of the game there -

If they want to have a satellite style set up, with the Broncos at its core, you would expect the Jets to get up, with a longer term view to having a Sunshine Coast/Redcliffe/North Brisbane franchise.

If they go with the Bombers I don't think there will be expansion in Queensland for a long time, as it leans heavily towards the AFL 2 team per city model.

I'd rather the Jets model, but its up to the commission.

Agree 110%. Brisbane would be good but wouldn't really be an expansion club. Unlike Fremantle and port Adelaide, Ipswich (if expanded to include Logan and or toowoomba) would represent a larger geographical area further out from the cbd and so won't perennially lie in the shadows of a big brother club. It also does more to promote a rivalry because let's face it, bombers-broncos will never be city-united

But either or would be better than bears...I do feel sorry for cc though, with all the work they put in

Goddo

Bench
^ I do too. There probably wouldn't be much expansion talk if it weren't for the Bears keeping it at the front of everyones minds over the last 4-5 years.

If only we can get Manly or Cronulla to relocate to the Sunshine Coast and bring in the Bears, then we would have close to the perfect 18 team competition. Expansion to 20 teams would then be Adelaide and Wellington.

smithie

Juniors
^ I do too. There probably wouldn't be much expansion talk if it weren't for the Bears keeping it at the front of everyones minds over the last 4-5 years.

If only we can get Manly or Cronulla to relocate to the Sunshine Coast and bring in the Bears, then we would have close to the perfect 18 team competition. Expansion to 20 teams would then be Adelaide and Wellington.

Sea Eagles to Sunshine Coast. Sharks to Adelaide. Add in Brisbane Bombers, WA Reds, Central Coast Bears & Wellington ****. The perfect 20 team national competition.

Then a lot further down the track Central QLD, Ipswich, PNG and maybe even Melbourne II one day.

docbrown

Coach
Just an official confirmation of what I posted here more than a year ago.

I recall even recently people were posting articles claiming that LEK said no expansion team would increase the TV rights. They also refused to believe me when I said the NRL had asked LEK to reexamined it and reported that Brisbane would increase the rights.

So things that I've said before -
* There is a view that Perth should be the first place the game expands to, as the two-hour time difference would enable a live match to be broadcast on the eastern seaboard at either 9.30pm Friday or Saturday or 6pm Sunday

* Club bosses were told that television executives believed Queenslanders were ''peculiar'' in that they would support any Queensland team - the Broncos, the Cowboys or the Titans - but not teams from anywhere else.

* From 2013, there could be Saturday games at 3pm, 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
Also under consideration is a 6pm Sunday match, which has had mixed success in AFL. - I had been told 4, 6 & 8

Billythekid

First Grade
So what reason is there for waiting till 2017? It's pretty damn obvious that adding a Perth and Brisbane team is going to add a fair chunk to our tv deal.

Why should it take so long?

Perth Red

Post Whore
it won't, 2014 at the latest imo. Bids will need a 2 year lead in, decision on expansion will be made around March 2012 imo and that will give them 2 years to get ready. Anything longer and the media deal will be reduced.

Imagine the hype in 2013 when the new TV deal kicks in, clubs have plenty of money, the NRL has heaps of cash to promote itself and the prospect of two new clubs the following year is being pumped up. It will make 2013 a bumper year for viewing and 2014 will maintain that momentum through the introduction of the new teams.

Quidgybo

Bench
Which will it be, thats the big question... the Jets and Bombers offer two very different models for the future of Rugby League in Queensland.

I guess the winner will be determined by the model the NRL has for the future of the game there -

If they want to have a satellite style set up, with the Broncos at its core, you would expect the Jets to get up, with a longer term view to having a Sunshine Coast/Redcliffe/North Brisbane franchise.

If they go with the Bombers I don't think there will be expansion in Queensland for a long time, as it leans heavily towards the AFL 2 team per city model.

I'd rather the Jets model, but its up to the commission.

The satellite model only works if this comes true...

Goddo said:
They will only be at Suncorp until their stadium at Springfield is built. 3 years max, so Suncorp until 2016-18 at the latest, depending on when the NRL expands.

I've seen the state government guarantee a stadium for the Central Queensland bid but I haven't seen them do the same for the Ipswich bid. Surely there's a big question mark over whether they'll want to build a competing ground so close to Suncorp. And unless the government or some other body comes to the party with $70m-$120m we're back to a centralised model whether we want that or not.

Leigh.

Goddo

Bench
^ you can see it the other way. Suncorp is the main stadium, and they need an alternative. Big match restrictions?

I'd argue that Brisbane probably needs a boutique sized ground to complement Suncorp. Currently thats Ballimore or ANZ, but both are pretty crap.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, there was a newspaper article where they mentioned the Ipswich bid had a stadium funding guarentee. Politicians are slippery things and they might go back on their word, but I wouldn't think so.

I'll try and find it. I get the feeling you prefer the "centralised model" Quidgy.

joshreading

Staff member

The amount of the salary cap and club grant would depend on the value of the television deal, with funding and player payments to increased to:

$1 billion TV deal:
- Salary cap: $5.1 billion
- Club grant: $5.6 million

$1.2 billion
- Cap $5.9 million
- Grant $6.45 million

$1.4 billion
- Cap: $6.6 million
- Grant: $7.2 million

I am sure the players are going to be pretty pumped about a 5.1 BILLION dollar salary cap. We could sign any athlete in the world then :)

Quidgybo

Bench
I get the feeling you prefer the "centralised model" Quidgy.
Not at all. I prefer the satellite strategy with derby games between the satellite sides brought to the bigger central hub stadium. It's still possible to do the satellite strategy with two teams at the hub instead of one but that's not where I'd be starting. I'd be starting with the Sunshine Coast, allow the west of Ipswich area a few more years to grow out and then go for a lot more western biased franchise with stronger associations with Toowoomba. And only if there's still demand after the north and west teams are established then go with the second hub side.

Leigh

beave

Coach
so we go full circle.

Everyone bitched about 3pm Saturday kickoffs for years due to kids sport and so forth, we get rid of it for a few years, everyone forgets about it and now we could be going back to it................... interesting.

docbrown

Coach
so we go full circle.

Everyone bitched about 3pm Saturday kickoffs for years due to kids sport and so forth, we get rid of it for a few years, everyone forgets about it and now we could be going back to it................... interesting.

My sources say 4:40 if its on foxtel

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't see the problem, Fremantle live and train in Freo but travel to Subi oval to play the games. Most Dockers fans don;t live in Fremantle anyway. About a 30min travel. How far is Ipswich from Suncorp?

docbrown

Coach
So we get more clashes of games?

The running time was to allow for 100 minute blocks per game, minimising the analysis slightly to allow for as much game time in the evening as they can get.

4:40 pm
6:20 pm
8:00 pm

8pm was deemed the latest that a live game would kick off on a regular basis, that said I think its too late for crowds, but 4:40pm & 6:20pm are family friendly.

This may change though if LEK pursue extended game times etc

BDGS

Bench
The running time was to allow for 100 minute blocks per game, minimising the analysis slightly to allow for as much game time in the evening as they can get.

4:40 pm
6:20 pm
8:00 pm

8pm was deemed the latest that a live game would kick off on a regular basis, that said I think its too late for crowds, but 4:40pm & 6:20pm are family friendly.

This may change though if LEK pursue extended game times etc

Would that set up see four games on Saturday?

4:40pm game, 6:20pm game and 2 8:00pm games?

smithie

Juniors
Don't see the problem, Fremantle live and train in Freo but travel to Subi oval to play the games. Most Dockers fans don;t live in Fremantle anyway. About a 30min travel. How far is Ipswich from Suncorp?

About an hour on the train.

Latest posts