What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Sixgill

Juniors
Dunno. Never been there... :sarcasm:

But come on, don't pretend you wouldn't celebrate the demise of Manly and Cronulla...

League fans aren't all that excited about the demise of any team.

And I'm more than sick of hearing about it in every second thread.

I support the Sharks, but I would never hope for another team to be gone. It's one thing to support a team but another to find enjoyment in another being kicked out.

Infantile view you have.

BunniesMan

Immortal
League fans aren't all that excited about the demise of any team.

And I'm more than sick of hearing about it in every second thread.

I support the Sharks, but I would never hope for another team to be gone. It's one thing to support a team but another to find enjoyment in another being kicked out.

Infantile view you have.
Good post is good.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-rugby-stars-if-bid-wins-20110129-1a8v7.html

New Brisbane team to target rugby stars if bid wins
Brad Walter
January 30, 2011
barnes-cooper-420x0.jpg

Fair game ... Quade Cooper (left) and Berrick Barnes will be on the hit list. Photo: Getty Images

QUADE COOPER, Berrick Barnes and Sonny Bill Williams head a list of potential targets for the new Brisbane team wanting to join the NRL.

The trio of rugby union stars has been identified as possible recruits by directors of the NRL Brisbane Expansion Team, who will investigate whether they want to switch codes if the consortium is given the green light to enter the competition in 2013.

''Every single player who is off contract at the end of 2012 will be on a list that we'll be going through and that includes Sonny Bill Williams, Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper,'' consortium director Craig Davidson told The Sun-Herald. ''We wouldn't be doing our job properly if we didn't do that.’’

During the week Williams told a press conference on the Gold Coast - ahead of his fight last night with Scott Lewis - that he would consider playing for the new team. Cooper lives in Brisbane and Barnes is a former Bronco.

''At this stage we don't know whether there will be expansion in 2013, but we are getting the fundamentals of a bid ready to go,'' Davidson said.

It is understood that consortium head Bill Rae has already discussed the bid proposal with NRL chief executive David Gallop and more talks are planned this week.

Rae and Davidson are members of the 1980 Club, a group of wealthy businessmen given privileged access to the Queensland Origin camp. The third member of the consortium is Nicholas Livermore, the son of QRL boss Ross Livermore, who runs an events management company whose accounts include the Queensland FOGS.

Rae is a close friend of Maroons coach Mal Meninga, who has expressed an interest in returning to coaching in the NRL. The Sun-Herald has been told that other members of the 1980 Club - named after the year of the first State of Origin game - could become involved as sponsors or financial backers.

Despite the consortium's strong links to the Queensland Origin team, the bid members insist the QRL has no involvement.

''It is just three guys - Bill Rae, Nicholas Livermore and myself - who thought that if there was going to be expansion, the best place for a new team is Brisbane,'' Davidson said. ''It makes so much sense to have a game played at Suncorp Stadium every week.''

While no announcement has been made on when any expansion will be considered, the code's incoming independent commission is expected to decide whether to invite tenders. Central Coast Bears, Ipswich, Central Queensland, Perth, Wellington and Papua New Guinea have also expressed interest.

Danish

Referee
Is anyone actually surprised that one of the men who pushed to kill off the crushers for and demanded a guarantee of no 2nd brisbane teams in the Super League is now still against another team encroaching on his beloved broncos monopoly??

A 2nd brisbane team is an absolute must, along with Perth. I'd like to see the bears in as well, but short of a folding of a current team I can't see why we'd add yet another NSW team in the next round of expansion

BDGS

Bench
This new Brisbane bid just continues to disappoint, targeting union stars now? Seems like they are just trying to get attention from the media.

beads6

First Grade
I think Suncorp deserves to have a second team playing out of it but i would have the team based at Ipswich not a 2nd Brisbane team.. Ipswich is half hour from Brissy and it just makes sense to me. QLD need two more teams IMO Central QLD and another in SEQ preferably Ipswich Jets.

bobmar28

Bench

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Rusty is right about teams struggling but that applies to Sydney which is over saturated. SE QLD needs more teams and whether it is Ipswich or Brisbane 2 it doesn't matter, it has to happen.

Personally I think it should be Ipswich but whatever the IC decides is fine by me.

IC won't be deciding now. It'll be the NRL and David Gallop all the way.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
If nothing else it demonstrates the Brisbane2 bids ability to generate news. The Courier-Mail must consider that their readership are generally interested in the prospect of the new side. Though I'm always wary of the Snail.

The fact is, no other bid has the ability to capture as large an audience as this one. The market is huge for another team in SEQ based in Brisbane.

_Johnsy

Referee
Anyone who is seriously against an 2nd NRL team based in Brisbane, & playing out of Suncorp has rocks in their head. It's a no brainer.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well people here like the ides of them covering the south-side logan area.

The Brisbane Bogans!!!

applesauce

Bench
Why would they be called the Thunder when the NRL already has a Storm?

All those names are ridiculous. They have no real mascots or marketing power. Here would be my polled shortlist.

South Brisbane Devils
South Brisbane Rams
South Brisbane Brothers
South Brisbane Diehards
South Brisbane Magpies (due to Souths Logan)
South Brisbane Wolves

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
woeful...each and every one of them.

Is this what you're after?
No weather conditions.
Brisbane Barometric Pressure

No emotions.
Brisbane Boast

No abstract concepts like 'Spirit' or 'Heart'.
Brisbane Ambition

And preferably, no American mascots like 'Buccaneers'.
Brisbane Braves. Brisbane Bald Eagles.

Pick a uniquely Australian animal!
Brisbane Bogong Moths

I would love an NRL side to call themselves the Emus.

Latest posts