What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why would they be called the Thunder when the NRL already has a Storm?

All those names are ridiculous. They have no real mascots or marketing power. Here would be my polled shortlist.
The "storm" is stupid, the "thunder" is just as dumb. Emotions and weather are terrible names for a team.
South Brisbane Devils
South Brisbane Rams
Good

South Brisbane Brothers
South Brisbane Diehards
No
South Brisbane Magpies (due to Souths Logan)
South Brisbane Wolves
Good

My suggestions are
Brisbane/SB Ravens
Brisbane/SB Pythons
Brisbane/SB Bulls
Brisbane/SB Hawks
Brisbane/SB Vikings
Brisbane/SB Kings
Brisbane/SB Rays
Brisbane/SB Rangers
Brisbane/SB Pirates

For a good team name it has to be marketable, it has to roll well off the tongue (not necessarily alliteration but something that isn't a mouthful...take note GWS wankers). When a player says "I'm a ....." it has to make sense (take note Storm, Suns). And it has to be a plural (again, take note Storm).

RHCP

Bench
Of the suggestions made in this thread, Brisbane Bulls or Brisbane Wolves sound like the best options to me.

RedVee

First Grade
I wonder if St Benny would be interested if they were called Brisbane Souths, in white & black?

I favour Diehards and Royal Blue.

BTW, previous poster, Bald Eagle isn't an iconic Aussie bird, you'd be after the Wedge Tail Eagle I think?????
The Brisbane Wedgies? Jason Stevens comeback?

clarency

Juniors
I'm a Warrington fan in the super league and would love to see a Wolves in the NRL somewhere.

Brisbane Bulls sounds nice.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
My suggestions are
Brisbane/SB Ravens
That's so raven. Raven=Crow=no.
Brisbane/SB Pythons
Not bad but unlikely.
Brisbane/SB Bulls
The best suggestion but I think that's the CQLD option.
Brisbane/SB Hawks
You watch too much AFL.
Brisbane/SB Vikings
Victor the viking will have something to say about that
Brisbane/SB Kings
I can see the marketing men looking at this type of name. Lion as a Mascot.
Brisbane/SB Rays
The killer of steve Irwin?
Brisbane/SB Rangers
images

Brisbane/SB Pirates
Aye, Aye skipper - Pirates might impress 5 year old boys but not much of a name for a football team.

I like Rhinos, Elephants/jumbos/tuskers, emus or wolves.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I wonder if St Benny would be interested if they were called Brisbane Souths, in white & black?

I favour Diehards and Royal Blue.

BTW, previous poster, Bald Eagle isn't an iconic Aussie bird, you'd be after the Wedge Tail Eagle I think?????
The Brisbane Wedgies? Jason Stevens comeback?
Nah, I was referring to an american mascot with that suggestion.

We don't have a lot of fierce or noble looking critters in Australia. Echidnas?

RedVee

First Grade
Nah, I was referring to an american mascot with that suggestion.

We don't have a lot of fierce or noble looking critters in Australia. Echidnas?

I dunno.... the Wedgie is fairly fierce looking.

The Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax), sometimes known as the Eaglehawk in its native range, is the largest bird of prey in Australia, but it is also found in southern New Guinea. It has long, fairly broad wings, fully feathered legs, and an unmistakable wedge-shaped tail. Because of both its tail and its size — it is one of the largest birds of prey in the world — it can be identified at a glance as a "Wedgie" even by the non-expert.
The Wedge-tailed Eagle is one of twelve species of large predominantly dark-coloured eagles in the genus Aquila found worldwide. A large brown bird of prey, it has a wingspan of up to 2.27 metres (7.4 ft) and a length up to 1.04 metres (3.4 ft).[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_Eagle

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I dunno.... the Wedgie is fairly fierce looking.

The Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax), sometimes known as the Eaglehawk in its native range, is the largest bird of prey in Australia, but it is also found in southern New Guinea. It has long, fairly broad wings, fully feathered legs, and an unmistakable wedge-shaped tail. Because of both its tail and its size — it is one of the largest birds of prey in the world — it can be identified at a glance as a "Wedgie" even by the non-expert.
The Wedge-tailed Eagle is one of twelve species of large predominantly dark-coloured eagles in the genus Aquila found worldwide. A large brown bird of prey, it has a wingspan of up to 2.27 metres (7.4 ft) and a length up to 1.04 metres (3.4 ft).[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_Eagle
If you ever seen these fellas on the side on the side of the road they are huge.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Doomednow

Bench
Nobody likes razorbacks? How about rangers?

Hunters might be a nice nod to the indigenous, but not sure it works very well as a name.

I'd prefer something like roughnecks over diehards. Was that a suggestion from an official bid or did someone here come up with it?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Nobody likes razorbacks? How about rangers?

Hunters might be a nice nod to the indigenous, but not sure it works very well as a name.

I'd prefer something like roughnecks over diehards. Was that a suggestion from an official bid or did someone here come up with it?

The Diehards aka Valleys FC was the most successful team in the BRL. There have been a few people suggesting that a new Brisbane club appropriate their name/colours/etc to bring some BRL tradition into the NRL.

It's a good idea, a nice way to differentiate the new team from an established brand like the Broncos.

BDGS

Bench
They seem to be after nothing more then just making the newspapers and the bulletins. IT really is disappointing, a Brisbane 2 bid deserves a well put together and professional bid. However this sounds very childish and instead of doing the hard yards it seems they just want their name out there. Very disappointing for anyone who seriously likes the idea of 2 Brisbane teams.

flamin

Juniors
They seem to be after nothing more then just making the newspapers and the bulletins. IT really is disappointing, a Brisbane 2 bid deserves a well put together and professional bid. However this sounds very childish and instead of doing the hard yards it seems they just want their name out there. Very disappointing for anyone who seriously likes the idea of 2 Brisbane teams.
???

It's been like, what, less than a week since this has been announced?

Doomednow

Bench
The Diehards aka Valleys FC was the most successful team in the BRL. There have been a few people suggesting that a new Brisbane club appropriate their name/colours/etc to bring some BRL tradition into the NRL.

It's a good idea, a nice way to differentiate the new team from an established brand like the Broncos.

Cheers. That makes sense.