What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't know anybody within this bid, however every time they get mentioned in the news or quoted or interviewed on TV they do not impress.

saying weird things like "we didn't expect the negative reaction we got" and things like "I am a Broncos supporter and that will become number 2 and this team will be number 2". These fill up news time but tells up nothing about the bid.

Then they come up with the list of 6 possible names, i think its about 70% of the poll voting for the 'other' option. It's little wonder why, the list seems like somebody just typed into google "sporting names" or something.

It's these fine details that tell a lot about a organisation to me, you even have the CEO being asked a direct question and watched him danced around it like a politician would on fox sports news.

It's not a good look and to me it's making the Ipswich bid look like genius'.

I don't know, it's almost like there is a lack of passion behind the bid where'd i hope a Second Brisbane bid would be run along the same lines of professionalism, passion and confidence as the Broncos.

It's almost like, oh well can't buy the Broncos let's start our own team. Looks childish.
Its sparked interest and much of it positive. I think the newspapaer poll was of the paper's doing rather than the bid's and the names just a list to, again, spark interest. The blokes who are putting the bid together are all successful businessmen, and successful businessmen do things for reasons financial rather than spite or jealousy, despite what hollywood portrays.
I agree that the whole 2nd Brisbane/Ipswich thing looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment. But there is still time to get things together.

As you say, this bid's biggest enemy right now is the fact that they've come onto the scene late and their plans are still close to their chest - a direct contrast to what the bears, reds and CQLD are doing. The public like to know what's going on. bInteresting times ahead.

BDGS

Bench
MAROON and BLUE. Does anyone see the problem with that?

No, why would that be a problem?

It only clashes with the Broncos, Gold Coast, Manly, Eels, Bulldogs and possibly storm, and they have chosen those colours to piggy back off the success of other teams.

applesauce

Bench
Blue and Maroon go brilliantly together. You only have to look at the number of teams that use it in English football.

Mackay Cutter in the QCup use them.

cutters_t312.jpg

aus_blu_purp_jers_300.jpg

BDGS

Bench
Its sparked interest and much of it positive. I think the newspapaer poll was of the paper's doing rather than the bid's and the names just a list to, again, spark interest. The blokes who are putting the bid together are all successful businessmen, and successful businessmen do things for reasons financial rather than spite or jealousy, despite what hollywood portrays.
I agree that the whole 2nd Brisbane/Ipswich thing looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment. But there is still time to get things together.

As you say, this bid's biggest enemy right now is the fact that they've come onto the scene late and their plans are still close to their chest - a direct contrast to what the bears, reds and CQLD are doing. The public like to know what's going on. bInteresting times ahead.

Agree with all expect the bold part.

They got Positive interest from the media on the day they announced it, after that it has been mostly negative with several Rugby League personalities coming out against the bid and even residents of the area coming out saying negative things about the bid.

I think that has taken them a little bit by surprise atm.

otori

Juniors
I'm hoping they go with marlins or a type of snake like the taipans, king browns, boas, pythons or sidewinders but I saw that battle for Brisbane stuff and thinking maybe they might throw out the Brisbane Battle which would be bloody awful IMO

BunniesMan

Immortal
Maroon and Blue are good colours
We have a little contest in our sport that you may have heard of. And by coincedence those two colours represent the two sides in that contest. Having an NRL team use maroon and blue is like putting QLD and NSW on a jersey together, it's just not f**ken right.

paulmac

Juniors
If the reds and Brisbane2 get the nod over my bears,ill be depressed but if they incorporated red and black and were known as the Moreton Bay Bears or Brizzy Grizzlies it would cushion the blow a bit.Also could live with the West Coast Bears.As long as they wear red and black and are the bears I dont care where they play.

Pigskin

Juniors
Diehards - don't think so, too close to home with Valleys ... 1000-1 ... also imagine when they played Newcastle, the mascots could duel/joust on the sidelines

Bulls - the Qld cricket team is the Bulls ... 1000-1

Devils - Norths Devils been around forever ... this is likely to be a South side of Bris based team ... no chance ... 1000-1

Moreton Bay Mudcrabs .... is not terrible in my view, but highly unlikely ... 1000-1

My suggestion would be the "Brisbane Brahmans" ... you could have the local derby between the cows and horses ... its very Qld ... one of those fantastic looking bulls would be great for promotional stuff and the kids would marvel at it ... on the merchandising side of things, hats with horns !

Now agreed, it is a bit of a tongue-twister, but not so much that I think it can be ruled out ... everything about it is a winner with a slight query on the yellability.

copyrighted, patented, dated ... yours truly

Oink !

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm more interested in the stuff that will make or break their bid;
ie Sponsors, fan base, TV value than I am colours or name, that can for their fans to decide if they get the nod.

Having said that it would be nice to see a name with some connection to the city, state or country for a change rather than some random animal or americanisation.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I think it's a strange choice too. Those colours don't usually go together too well.

Cheers.

Couple of interesting things. If it's going to be like the Origin jersey I guess it's safe to assume one colour will be dominant and the 2nd colour wlll be the trim? ie: Change the maroon+white here to blue+maroon?That'd actually look very different to the Broncos, not a bad look either.

image.php

For the jersey designer/manufacturer I guess it'd be Kooga? Not sure what other ones we have in Bris.

BuffaloRules

Coach
IC won't be deciding now. It'll be the NRL and David Gallop all the way.

Judging Gallop's comments about the TV rights being decided before the IC coming in, and then his subsequent back flip today, I would suggest that Gallop would have trouble deciding between having Tea or Coffee for breakfast....

taipan

Referee
I'm hoping they go with marlins or a type of snake like the taipans, king browns, boas, pythons or sidewinders but I saw that battle for Brisbane stuff and thinking maybe they might throw out the Brisbane Battle which would be bloody awful IMO

I would support whole heartedly anything that looks like a Taipan.;-)
I speak with fork tongue.

bobmar28

Bench
The "storm" is stupid, the "thunder" is just as dumb. Emotions and weather are terrible names for a team.

Good

No

Good

My suggestions are
Brisbane/SB Ravens
Brisbane/SB Pythons
Brisbane/SB Bulls
Brisbane/SB Hawks
Brisbane/SB Vikings
Brisbane/SB Kings
Brisbane/SB Rays
Brisbane/SB Rangers
Brisbane/SB Pirates

For a good team name it has to be marketable, it has to roll well off the tongue (not necessarily alliteration but something that isn't a mouthful...take note GWS wankers). When a player says "I'm a ....." it has to make sense (take note Storm, Suns). And it has to be a plural (again, take note Storm).

Jets would be a good name.

RedVee

First Grade
Diehards - don't think so, too close to home with Valleys ... 1000-1 ... also imagine when they played Newcastle, the mascots could duel/joust on the sidelines

Bulls - the Qld cricket team is the Bulls ... 1000-1

Devils - Norths Devils been around forever ... this is likely to be a South side of Bris based team ... no chance ... 1000-1

Moreton Bay Mudcrabs .... is not terrible in my view, but highly unlikely ... 1000-1

My suggestion would be the "Brisbane Brahmans" ... you could have the local derby between the cows and horses ... its very Qld ... one of those fantastic looking bulls would be great for promotional stuff and the kids would marvel at it ... on the merchandising side of things, hats with horns !

Now agreed, it is a bit of a tongue-twister, but not so much that I think it can be ruled out ... everything about it is a winner with a slight query on the yellability.

copyrighted, patented, dated ... yours truly

Oink !

Brahmans ? or Brohmans? The team for those that wear "plus sizes" ?

Blue and Maroon could be ok, just like the original Aussie jersey and (I think) St Gregs, C/Town.

How about Green & White hoops or butcher stripes for Celtics?

Scorpions could be ok, they'll sting ya!

I still like Diehards, it captures an indefatigable spirit.

Jankuloski

Juniors
I like names which either represent something authentic to the region, or sound good.

Names sound good if you have repetiotion of consonants - BrisBane Broncos , gold coasT Titans, Melbourne storM, Penrith Panthers, South Sydney, wesT Tigers... it's not just teams - KodaK, XeroX etc.

Even Cronulla sound better as cronulla Sutherland Sharks..

Brisbane 2 would be leaning too much on the Broncos if they went with something with B though...

Latest posts