What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

joshreading

Staff member
If they can tick the MONEY box locally and in regards to bringing more MONEY to the entire competition then they will be hard to. This is really becoming interesting. It certainly puts pressure on both WA Reds and CC Bears.

The Fact is this expansion will come down to one primary thing that has been repeated by Gallop, and that is a voice from the NRL which says "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!"

If they can show they will IMMEDIATELY be the second strongest Club in the NRL in terms of sponsorship then the NRL will struggle to reject them if they can also show that their inclusion will also increase the TV rights money for the entire NRL. The limited number of QLD teams yet strong viewership potential is QLD's advantage over the CC in particular as there is limited growth potential in TV viewership in NSW (as ALL NSW TV slots are filled easily be present NSW teams)

Scarves

Juniors
After putting together everything I've heard so far and then adding David Gallops comments on the Brisbane 2 concept. I have little doubt that expansion is indeed on the cards.

I think the Central Coast ticks all the boxes better than most other bids, new stadium, fan base ready to go, sponsorship deals in place, attachment to history of the Bears etc... all comendable, exept for the most important tick in the box. Strategically the powers that run the code obviously don't believe that having a team on the Central Coast is a necessity.

The league officially always appears to talk up places like Perth and now a 2nd Brisbane team. I have never heard David Gallop or anyone associated with running the game talk up the Gosford Bears with the same kind of fervour.

The league and the TV stations that run the game want more Qld teams in the National competition period. They want more options and time slots to show games featuring Qld teams in the National competition, they also desperately want to show more Qld derbies between Qld teams. They see the potential for crowd and sponsorship growth in Qld, they also see growth in the Qld corporate dollar. The League seriously likes the idea of Brisbane City being involved in an easy to promote cross town war as well.

I also believe that we'll see either one or two teams enter the competition circa 2013-2014. Personally on what I've seen and heard and bias aside, I think if two teams are brought into the competition, they will be franchises from Perth and a South Queensland (most likely 2nd Brisbane) team.

Unfortunately for the Central Coast, it won't matter how strong their bid is, strategically and considering the lack of options the Central Coast bid brings to the table regarding TV rights money, any Coast bid falls way behind a 4th Qld team bid and a Perth bid regarding the big ticket items. I'm from the Central Coast, I can see the handwriting on the wall. The league doesn't consider a move to the Coast as expansion, and that is the big deciding point in all this discussion.

If the Bears bid moved to Brisbane and decided to become the 2nd Brisbane team, then the Bears would be in the competition as of 2012. That they are focussing on a NSW area that is surrounded by the Knights and several Sydney clubs to the south, hurts their chances. The longer the League take to make a decision, the lower the chances of the Central Coast entering the League at the next expansion window. This was the same scenario for when Gold Coast went head to head with the Central Coast.

This time the fight will be between the 2nd Brisbane team and the Central Coast team. I reckon expanding to Perth is in the bag and has been given the nod already.

I think we'll only see a team on the Central Coast if a team relocates there or if a current club decides to merge with the Bears group. Using one "possible" expansion spot up on the Central Coast, thus giving NSW another team in an already NSW heavy competition will certainly be considered by the League but ultimately will turn into heart break for promoters of the Gosford based Club.

My tip, two new clubs by 2014, one from Brisbane the other from Perth.

Last edited:
The league officially always appears to talk up places like Perth and now a 2nd Brisbane team. I have never heard David Gallop or anyone associated with running the game talk up the Gosford Bears with the same kind of fervour.

You are on planet zemo. Did you live in Australia during 2010? Did you read anything regarding expansion? The NRL and David Gallop haven't talk up the CC? Who are the Gosford Bears? Whats with the undermining of the CC bid by purposely disregarding their brand and region?

David Gallop said:
I come from the Central Coast, they first talked about taking a team to the Central Coast in 1983, it is now 2011. We don't count the Northern Eagles. Has the NRL turned its back on the Coast? Do the fans up there have a right to feel frustrated?

I think the whole demise of the North Sydney Bears, the fact that they were going to move to the Central Coast, that is a frustrating episode in the game's history. The merit of a team at Gosford is obvious, you've got a ready-made stadium, you've got a population that loves the game, you've got potential to reconnect to the traditional North Sydney fans, the corporate support of the North Shore. But to be fair, they are still working on their financial model, I think they would say it is not quite ready to present. I have met with them since Christmas and they would say they are still fine-tuning their financial model.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...or-a-rosy-future/story-e6frfgbo-1225998330287

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...he-central-coast/story-e6frg7mf-1225897216635

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/29/2968128.htm?site=northqld

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...t-to-nrl-chances/story-e6frfgbo-1225991360752

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...olster-bears-bid/story-e6frg7mf-1225991959673

http://express-advocate-gosford.whereilive.com.au/news/story/libs-back-central-coast-bears-nrl-bid/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/21/2577498.htm

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/nsw-gives-100000-to-bears-bid-20100830-146en.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...rs-over-the-line/story-e6frfgbo-1225957333872

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-for-coast-hopes/story-e6frfgbo-1225896815204

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...tral-coast-bears/story-e6frfgbo-1225691500740

He repeated early comments that "the Central Coast is the obvious next target".
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...all-sydney-clubs/story-e6frexp9-1111117074235

P.S. Ive got many more articles.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
If they can tick the MONEY box locally and in regards to bringing more MONEY to the entire competition then they will be hard to. This is really becoming interesting. It certainly puts pressure on both WA Reds and CC Bears.

The Fact is this expansion will come down to one primary thing that has been repeated by Gallop, and that is a voice from the NRL which says "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!"

If they can show they will IMMEDIATELY be the second strongest Club in the NRL in terms of sponsorship then the NRL will struggle to reject them if they can also show that their inclusion will also increase the TV rights money for the entire NRL. The limited number of QLD teams yet strong viewership potential is QLD's advantage over the CC in particular as there is limited growth potential in TV viewership in NSW (as ALL NSW TV slots are filled easily be present NSW teams)

Yeah, but the thing this bid has to keep in mind is to be different to the Broncos.

Do we need another Brisbane team? Yes

Do we need another Broncos team? No, we already have one of those.

This bid has to be different to the Broncos and offer something the Broncos don't already offer and deliver supporters of the area another option. Trying to be another Broncos team is not required and will end in failure.

BDGS

Bench
Lol @ the comments that Gallop talks up only WA and Bris2.

Apart from Gallop saying it's an area that will be "on the cards" at some point he really hasn't said much about the bid or its likelihood of being in the competition in 2013.

"They're in the early days but you wouldn't knock their enthusiasm."
http://www.nrl.com/news/latestnews/n...m/default.aspx

That pretty much sums up his view on the bid atm. His actions of blocking an ownership model from a gambling organisation was the right move but also shows their inexperience of dealing with the NRL over expansion.

BDGS

Bench
Tensions rise as Broncos close PNG deal

THE battle for Brisbane has reached toxic levels with the incumbent powerhouses, the Broncos, joining forces with the Papua New Guinea bid team in a move that will harm the chances of the consortium rallying for a second club in the city.

Broncos chief executive Paul White will fly to Port Moresby today, accompanied by business development manager Marty Rowen and general manager of commercial operations Terry Reader, to finalise a shorts sponsorship deal with the Papua New Guinea NRL bid team worth about $250,000 a season.

The Herald revealed on January 27 that a prominent member of the Thoroughbreds group that supports Broncos players, businessman Craig Davison, was behind a bid for a second Brisbane team to enter the NRL if the incoming independent commission to run rugby league decides to expand the competition. The three-man bid team met NRL chief executive David Gallop on Monday.

Advertisement: Story continues below The Broncos' new alliance has been a source of great tension in the PNG camp, prompting that bid team's strategic adviser, Paul Broughton, to quit, and comes as the administration of rugby league in the country is in turmoil.

It also arrives less than a week after a development officer with the PNG bid team, ex-Kumuls star Aquila Emil, 44, was shot dead outside a Port Moresby nightclub. Dr Theo Yasause, a former chief of staff to the PNG prime minister, appeared in a court yesterday charged with Emil's murder.

The PNG logo will make its first appearance on the Broncos' shorts when they play their opening trial of the pre-season against Gold Coast at Wynnum on Saturday night.

The Broncos were yesterday adamant the commercial association had no connection to the bid for a rival Brisbane team headed by Davison and also involving businessmen Nicholas Livermore and Bill Rae.

''This deal has been in the pipeline for nine months but we are on our way there as we still have to finalise some details,'' White said in a statement. ''It will be an exciting partnership for both parties.

''For the Broncos it will be a formal link into the one country in the world where rugby league is the national sport. And it will also provide a link for Papua New Guineans and their favourite team, the Brisbane Broncos.''

It emerged that the pending sponsorship deal was the primary reason for the resignations of Broughton and his wife, Bev, who was the general manger of the bid. Broughton, also the chairman of the Titans, said the deal was put together behind his back and he did not favour a marketing drive for NRL inclusion over funding for player, coaching and infrastructure development.

''Once I found out that the negotiations were going on … then I immediately resigned because it's a conflict of interest because of my role with the Titans,'' Broughton said. ''[The Broncos] have made a commercial decision and they're going to be paid money for doing it. But I could never do it against my own club. [The PNG bid team] knew I didn't favour that type of progress to enable them to secure a licence.''

The group behind a potential second Brisbane club will hold its official launch at Suncorp Stadium on February 21, unveiling ambassadors and sponsors. These include the gambling agency Centrebet, which could still be a possible part-owner if the bid is approved despite public statements to the contrary.

It is understood the bid team - dubbed ''the Battle for Brisbane'' - was warned off promoting the concept of Centrebet's investment by Gallop's frosty reaction to a Herald story last Saturday that revealed the link. However, share ownership in a new club by the betting company remains on the cards, evidenced by Davison's ''never say never'' remarks on Monday.

The prospect of an NRL franchise being awarded to Port Moresby by their goal of 2015 appears slim if continuing administrative in-fighting is any evidence.

The release of $4 million in AusAid funding for rugby league in PNG has now been frozen for 14 months as a result.

The latest developments have been farcical. A policeman armed with a court order brought a halt to the PNG Rugby Football League annual meeting on January 30, with former deputy chairman Bryan Kramer disputing an interim administration led by John Numapo. A court hearing has been scheduled for February 17.

Sports Minister Philemon Embel says the PNG government will take over the running of the game if the long-running stand-off continues.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Another ramble by Roy from his bunker in melbourne. The headline would suggest that the broncos and the new bid are at each others throats where the reality is that the story is about the never gunna happen png bid being now even less likely to happen. Brisbane get a $250k sponsor which is as redundant as typewriters are and the png government pour more of their (and australia's) money down the drain.

BDGS

Bench
These include the gambling agency Centrebet, which could still be a possible part-owner if the bid is approved despite public statements to the contrary.

It is understood the bid team - dubbed ''the Battle for Brisbane'' - was warned off promoting the concept of Centrebet's investment by Gallop's frosty reaction to a Herald story last Saturday that revealed the link. However, share ownership in a new club by the betting company remains on the cards, evidenced by Davison's ''never say never'' remarks on Monday.

Bloody disgusted at this part, this bids attitude is all wrong. It is really disappointing because i am one of the ones that saw a lot of promise is another South Queensland NRL team if it was done right.

Sounds like they have no regard for the NRL and offer nothing the Broncos do not already offer. Poor form, very disappointing for me.

dgsfan

Juniors
Stupid comment saying we dnt need another Brisbane team. Yeah, sure, we don't need another ofour most successful club b

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh i thought the same, why wouldn't the NRL want a team with 35k fans and a 20mill+ income? :)

adamkungl

Immortal
What is the point of wasting $250k on a shorts sponsorship? How exactly will sponsoring an NRL club improve their chances of getting into the NRL? Ridiculous waste

flippikat

Bench
Unfortunately for the Central Coast, it won't matter how strong their bid is, strategically and considering the lack of options the Central Coast bid brings to the table regarding TV rights money, any Coast bid falls way behind a 4th Qld team bid and a Perth bid regarding the big ticket items. I'm from the Central Coast, I can see the handwriting on the wall. The league doesn't consider a move to the Coast as expansion, and that is the big deciding point in all this discussion.

If the Bears bid moved to Brisbane and decided to become the 2nd Brisbane team, then the Bears would be in the competition as of 2012. That they are focussing on a NSW area that is surrounded by the Knights and several Sydney clubs to the south, hurts their chances. The longer the League take to make a decision, the lower the chances of the Central Coast entering the League at the next expansion window. This was the same scenario for when Gold Coast went head to head with the Central Coast.

This time the fight will be between the 2nd Brisbane team and the Central Coast team. I reckon expanding to Perth is in the bag and has been given the nod already.

I think we'll only see a team on the Central Coast if a team relocates there or if a current club decides to merge with the Bears group. Using one "possible" expansion spot up on the Central Coast, thus giving NSW another team in an already NSW heavy competition will certainly be considered by the League but ultimately will turn into heart break for promoters of the Gosford based Club.

My tip, two new clubs by 2014, one from Brisbane the other from Perth.

Edited your original post somewhat, but I think your overall argument is logical.

Regardless of all the debate over whether the NRL/Gallop has talked-up the Bears or not - forget the history.. we need to focus on what the messages are NOW, and the message is "Show us the money"

TV rights IS a big earner for the NRL, and getting another Brisbane team gives more flexibility than another NSW team - and another 'North of the Border' derby.

I see you mention an existing club merging with the Bears.. I dunno if that would happen (and would the Central Coast people accept it?)

Something else to keep in mind is that it would only take one more joint venture team in Sydney, then you could add Central Coast, WA, AND Brisbane2.. an 18-team competition and the expension dilemma goes away for this phase.

Problem is - who would merge?
Parramatta Panthers (in Blue, gold & black)?
Sydney Sharks (In Sky Blue with a Red & White Vee like the Roosters ANZAC jerseys)?
????

As an aside, if the Parramatta Panthers happened, and went well.. how much pressure on other Sydney clubs would that put?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Why would you, surely you'd jump in bed with one of the existing two?

The Ipswich Jets bid is based around representing the city of Ipswich in the highest level of competition possible.
If this third bid is a venture by two clubs in Brisbane proper (just for example, Easts+Norths) then their goals would be completely different to that of the Ipswich bid, they would have no interest having their HQ out in Springfield.

The Brisbane2 bid is for a privately owned team, this 3rd bid might be a member-owned team like the Jets bid which'd rule out getting into bed with Davison et al.

applesauce

Bench
That article about the bids being at each other throats is trash.

The Broncos have had PNG.NRL.BID on their shorts for months before the Brisbane bid was even knowledge...

Scarves

Juniors
Personally I'd like a Central Coast team, considering I live up here, it would do wonders for the community. I'm just not letting my emotions get in the way of perspective.

It would be fantastic to have a club based out of Grahame Park. My point is that I don't believe the league really wants the option of choosing a team to land in Gosford ahead of representation by consortiums/teams in Perth and another Qld based club.

I'm not trying to undermine the Central Coast Bears bid by mentioning the words "Gosford Bears". I was just being plain lazy calling it the Gosford Bears... couldn't be bothered typing Central Coast Central Coast Central Coast over and over. Personally I enjoy mixing it up, don't take offence. Lucky I didn't call them Wamberal I guess.

Back on my point, I reckon the Terrigal Bears bid has been pretty much ready to launch for years.

Hell, it was ready to go when they went head on with the Gold Coast. Both were deemed not ready (only in my opinion because the Gold Coast wasn't ready and that in hindsight is what the league really wanted). Then the Central Coast went in a three way tussle against the Gold Coast and a Wellington bid. Gold Coast gazzumped it, Wellington was never in the hunt, and today we have the Titans and a rugby league game featuring a Qld based team on every Friday night.

What's really changed since the Titans entered the competition?

* The TV broadcasters are crying out for more Qld options to market on the big ticket nights.

* The Central Coast bid is stronger now than it was back then, and yet despite the bid now lacking the Singo millions that were backing it before... But still, today we have stalling on expansion to the Central Coast, and this from a stronger more solid bid than the one tabled five years previous.

Like it or not, the league are doing another job on the Central Coast's expansion plans. It's obvious and people can deny it all they like, they'll simply be among the disappointed. If the League goes a for a two team expansion program, the odds are tightening for Brisbane Mk2 and some golden west representation.

The only way I see a Central Coast representation is either with a Sydney Club merger of sorts; Perth absolutely falling down as a serious option; or a Sydney club relocation to either Brisbane or Perth; or some joint deal with a Sydney club and the current Bears dudes.

When I considered my opinion, I asked myself a few questions.

- Does the league/IC want/s more teams in Qld?

- Despite the league being keen on the idea of a Central Coast based team, does the league want more NSW teams than it already has?

- Considering the current and future broadcasters, do these people and their respective board members want more Qld representation so to increase their programming options?

- If the broadcasters do have a say, what options for expansion will they encourage?

- Then you must think about, what outside factors will influence the decision making of the NRL in regard to expansion? To answer that, you must seriously consider where the big folding cashola comes from.

Best of luck to the Bears, but up on the coast, and considering the recent statements from David Gallop, I'm beginning to feel the despair for "Bring back Bears" fans brewing already.

Latest posts