What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Something else to keep in mind is that it would only take one more joint venture team in Sydney, then you could add Central Coast, WA, AND Brisbane2.. an 18-team competition and the expension dilemma goes away for this phase.

Problem is - who would merge?
Parramatta Panthers (in Blue, gold & black)?
Sydney Sharks (In Sky Blue with a Red & White Vee like the Roosters ANZAC jerseys)?
????

As an aside, if the Parramatta Panthers happened, and went well.. how much pressure on other Sydney clubs would that put?

Both mergers are ridiculous ideas. Mergers are done out of the necessity for the clubs, not the competition. No 2 Sydney NRL clubs have a need to merge.

IF Parra and Penrith were to ever merge, they would probably be the richest or 2nd richest non privately owned club in the comp, easily.

bobmar28

Bench
Bloody disgusted at this part, this bids attitude is all wrong. It is really disappointing because i am one of the ones that saw a lot of promise is another South Queensland NRL team if it was done right.

Sounds like they have no regard for the NRL and offer nothing the Broncos do not already offer. Poor form, very disappointing for me.

:lol:

bobmar28

Bench
Both mergers are ridiculous ideas. Mergers are done out of the necessity for the clubs, not the competition. No 2 Sydney NRL clubs have a need to merge.

IF Parra and Penrith were to ever merge, they would probably be the richest or 2nd richest non privately owned club in the comp, easily.

And an unbeatable super club.

Beowulf

Juniors
Personally I'd like a Central Coast team, considering I live up here, it would do wonders for the community. I'm just not letting my emotions get in the way of perspective.

It would be fantastic to have a club based out of Grahame Park. My point is that I don't believe the league really wants the option of choosing a team to land in Gosford ahead of representation by consortiums/teams in Perth and another Qld based club.

Best of luck to the Bears, but up on the coast, and considering the recent statements from David Gallop, I'm beginning to feel the despair for "Bring back Bears" fans brewing already.

Don't worry, the Bears bid team will succeed. Not sure about any negative comments from David Gallop - he's been grooming the league community for a year now, saying nothing but positives about the Bears bid. In fact, the last 2 interviews have been incredibly positive - the most since............Gold Coast's admission.

Joker's Wild

Coach
:-k - isn't that what we see now? some sydney suburb vs another sydney suburb ?

I think he is refering to the actual name of the teams mate, not the location.

There is no "Sydney v Sydney" rather "Penrith v Canturbury" or "South Sydney v Sydney City"

I am dead against 2 clubs in the NRL comp having the same name. Besides, you are kidding yourselves if you think the Broncos will let it happen in a million years. It dilutes their brand

BDGS

Bench

Obviously i was right about you, you do not pay attention to what is actually being said yet you read what you want to be there instead of what is/was actually there.

In discussion over the Ipswich bid i said that i do not support Ipswich but i would support another South East Queensland bid that was to be run professionally.

Don't worry, the Bears bid team will succeed. Not sure about any negative comments from David Gallop - he's been grooming the league community for a year now, saying nothing but positives about the Bears bid. In fact, the last 2 interviews have been incredibly positive - the most since............Gold Coast's admission.

I agree with this.

applesauce

Bench

There is no "Sydney v Sydney" rather "Penrith v Canturbury" or "South Sydney v Sydney City"

I am dead against 2 clubs in the NRL comp having the same name. Besides, you are kidding yourselves if you think the Broncos will let it happen in a million years. It dilutes their brand

I would be surprised if BNEII don't call themselves the South Brisbane _______.

Which will be no different to the Rabbitohs v Roosters...

smithie

Juniors
I would be surprised if BNEII don't call themselves the South Brisbane _______.

Which will be no different to the Rabbitohs v Roosters...

The Brisbane II bid team have already stated the team will be called "Brisbane ________", which is the correct decision.

This team will be a true alternate to the Broncos and more importantly an alternate to the QLD Reds and Brisbane Lions. Naming them South Brisbane alienates people from outside that part of Brisbane from supporting them. This model works all over the world. NY Jets/Giants, Manchester United/City, LA Lakers/Clippers, NY Yankees/Mets, Melbourne Victory/Heart. It's time the NRL joined the 21st Century with the rest of the world.

BDGS

Bench
That model isn't working in Melbourne for the A-league. The Victory crowds have dropped by about the figure the heart get to their home games.

flippikat

Bench
(Re: a Penrith/Parramatta Merger)

You never know, mergers MAY need to happen if more regional or 1-city expansion teams come into the competition.

Just to stay competitive, there may well have to be Sydney teams that encompass a broader region - with a higher population, bigger sponsorship opportunities, etc..

Then it would be driven by the clubs' needs rather than the competition's needs.

The side-effect being that it frees up space for another expansion team, with no net impact to player depth.

johns_reds

First Grade

ok i see his/your point, but when do channel 9 ever advertise a game as brisbane vs gold coast or sydney vs south sydney for example? it always broncos vs titans, roosters vs rabbitohs etc. when they are advertising the games, i have never seen the clubs names when they are advertising the up coming matches

RedVee

First Grade
I think they may be hinting at Brisbane United with all the Man U of the NRL talk.
Which would be ironic for a franchise designed to split Brisbanes support base. If they are to include blue in their colours, maybe they'd be better as Brisbane City blahs.

dimitri

First Grade
I think they may be hinting at Brisbane United with all the Man U of the NRL talk.
Which would be ironic for a franchise designed to split Brisbanes support base. If they are to include blue in their colours, maybe they'd be better as Brisbane City blahs.

Thats what I thought in my post a couple of pages back.

Brisbane City.....(Stingrays or scorpions or whatever)

Id say thats more relevant, as Broncos are based more north of city.

Go mainly Blue, with collar/strip yellow or maroon

mongoose

Coach

Teams are all called by there nick names these days anyway. People would just say Broncos vs Pirates (or whatever they happen to be called). No big deal if there's 2 Brisbane's.

Latest posts