What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Paul J

Juniors
As anyone from Brisbane will tell you, Brisbane is divided neatly in two by the river and you're either from the Northside or the Southside. It's that simple.

The Broncos are based in Red Hill (Northside) and Brisbane 2 will be based at Davies Park i believe (Southside).

It will be North vs South, Broncos vs Whoever.

Suncorp used every week, it will be great for the game.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/02/11/sunshine-coast-rugby-league-clashes/

Coast a chance for NRL clashes

THE Sunshine Coast could host regular NRL matches if the consortium bidding for a second team in Brisbane is successful.

Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles chief executive Justin Veivers confirmed the club had been in talks with the consortium which recently made public its bid to field an expansion team in the south east.

Veivers said it was possible the Coast could see a number of top-flight matches played at the newly built Stockland Park stadium if a deal could be struck.

“There has been some sounding out from both parties,” he told the Daily.

“But it’s nothing more than that at this stage.”

The (Sunshine Coast) Sea Eagles recently severed ties with NRL club Manly following a spat with the New South Wales Rugby League which prevented the Silvertails from sending fringe players north.

Veivers said it was unlikely the Coast would try to work out a feeder-relationship deal with the (new) Brisbane bid side if it was successful.

“From my point of view, it would be an ideal satellite operation for them,” he said.

“After what we’ve gone through in a feeder club arrangement, I’m not sure it works very well.

“It would be something more along the lines of the NRL club having a second division team based here which could be used for player development, fan base growing and for corporate opportunities, opposed to the main NRL program.

Veivers said it was an ideal time for an NRL club to be looking to expand into the Sunshine Coast.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2011/02/10/clydesdales-push-to-align-nrl-club-darling-downs/

Clydesdales push to align with NRL

A PUSH to align the Darling Downs region with an NRL club is building with the Toowoomba Clydesdales confirming they are preparing to talk to a potential partner.

Clydesdales chairman Paul Reedy – who heads an eight-man board in place to lead a possible revival of the defunct Queensland Cup team – said pursuing an NRL backer was high on his committee's agenda.

“We are definitely not sitting on our hands,” Reedy said yesterday.

“We are actually meeting next week with the backers of one of the consortiums seeking an NRL licence.”

Reedy declined to name the proposed team when responding yesterday to news premier TRL club Valleys held informal discussions with a prospective NRL club.

Valleys football manager Alan Fitzgerald said he had made a “broad inquiry” with Bill Rae who is part of a bid to have a second Brisbane-based NRL club from 2013. “It was a query out of interest, which anyone is entitled to make, and it went no further than that,” Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald said Toowoomba's bid to rebuild as a force in Queensland rugby league needed the support of an NRL club.

“Whether that means Toowoomba, Valleys or any other TRL club becoming a feeder team to an NRL club is something that will have to be decided on,” Fitzgerald said.

“But I think it was worth putting in a phone call to the new club backers as a matter of interest.”

Fitzgerald also believes the Clydesdales are in need of an under 20 team to add to their under 16 and 18 squads in their push for re-entry into the Queensland Cup competition.

The Clydesdales exited the Cup in 2007 when financial pressure forced them to fold.

Reedy said plans to launch a Clydesdales under 20 team are already underway.

“We are already well on the way to having an under 20 Clydesdales team,” Reedy said.

“We are continuing talks with prospective sponsors and we're happy with the progress being made.

“The backing of an NRL club is vital to our long-term plans.

“But if we are to align, it will need to be suitable for the development of the region's young players.

“I believe one team trying to align with an NRL club will only strengthen one team in the competition.”

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If the Brisbane bid(s) get it together I think it spells trouble for one of the reds or bears. The key word is if.

JRH

Juniors
As anyone from Brisbane will tell you, Brisbane is divided neatly in two by the river and you're either from the Northside or the Southside. It's that simple.

The Broncos are based in Red Hill (Northside) and Brisbane 2 will be based at Davies Park i believe (Southside).

It will be North vs South, Broncos vs Whoever.

Suncorp used every week, it will be great for the game.

Couldn't agree more.

winnyason

Juniors
I spoke by email to the president of the wellington rl in NZ, he stated that when the nrl make expansion real, then they will make some real noise that includes a australian media manager they also will have substancial government support, now this bid given it has been trying the same amount of time as the bears could indeed jump the reds. Given the tv money it would create.

winnyason

Juniors
I spoke by email to the president of the wellington rl in NZ, he stated that when the nrl make expansion real, then they will make some real noise that includes a australian media manager they also will have substancial government support, now this bid given it has been trying the same amount of time as the bears could indeed jump the reds. Given the tv money it would create.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
You never know, mergers MAY need to happen if more regional or 1-city expansion teams come into the competition.

Just to stay competitive, there may well have to be Sydney teams that encompass a broader region - with a higher population, bigger sponsorship opportunities, etc..

Then it would be driven by the clubs' needs rather than the competition's needs.

The side-effect being that it frees up space for another expansion team, with no net impact to player depth.

I dont think any of our teams need to merge. None of our clubs are in any REAL bad trouble. Look at the ESL, Wakefield just went into administration but they will probably still compete.
Cronulla are probably the weakest of the clubs mainly because their fallback options are not as strong as other clubs, but that looks to be rectified eventually.

Mergers are done in RL for a very long time.

_Johnsy

Referee
Id say thats more relevant, as Broncos are based more north of city.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Nothing about the Broncos is north of the city, their leagues club and training ground (Red Hill) is 5km from the southern end of the cbd (opposite kangaroo point), and less than 3km west of roma street. Suncorp Stadium is closer, nothing to do with the Broncs is based North of the city.

brisbane_map.jpg

mightybears

Bench
Well yeah, Red Hill Scablands is to the West North West of the CBD, but the Brisbane River, snaking as it does towards the bay does divide those to either side and North v South is easier to say than South/East v North/West of the river etc.

A Brisbane 2 team would play at Suncorp but unless based at Logan, i'd think that Langlands would be a better base than Davies Park infrastructure wise.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Just send Manly to Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast and let both Reds and Bears in.
Unless Jack Hughman wants to buy MW Sea Eagles, of course.

Brutus

Referee

Yet the Broncos League Club and Davies Park are both very close to Suncorp Stadium. Perfect really.

Great post BTW. Nailed it well.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Get ready for plenty of big announcements on the 'Battle for Brisbane' bid at Suncorp Stadium on Feb 21, ranging from bid sponsors to the community direction of the bid/venture!

I think this one is the real deal guys.

Von

Juniors
It's a great problem to have that so many areas want to come in....compared with the AFL of planting synthetic sides in areas where people may not even embrace the team.

I would love to see the IC bite the bullet and welcome 4 teams as the ARL did in 1995. It has taken virtually 15 years for the scars of Super League to disappear. In that time we have lost too much time not expanding....time to get back in front again.

Let's say yes to 4 teams....Perth, Brisbane2, Wellington & CCBears. (I can be swayed on the 4)

BDGS

Bench
Four would dilute the quality the of the competition too much.

While the NRL would love another Brisbane team, They NRL have already said they won't get a team if it takes away from the Broncos.

From the way the bid team has handled it self since it went public, to me they sound like another Broncos instead of being another option to the Broncos. It remains to be seen but having another Brisbane team may take away supporters and members from the broncos towards this new team. The A-league is experiencing the Victory crowd decrease since the inclusion of the Heart. It may also take away from Broncos juniors and funding.

(Pro Brisbane2 NRL bid supporters notice i said may)

I have said before and still do support another team, in South East Queensland done correctly. Is this bid doing it the correct way? Well it looks like we will have to waist until Feb 21 to form our own opinions.

smithie

Juniors
The Broncos may lose a handful of supporters, but what is more likely to happen is Brisbane II will bring back supporters who are currently supporting the Brisbane Lions and/or QLD Reds. I know a lot of people who support the Lions or Reds because they aren't the Broncos. People will be shocked how many fans this new franchise will attract.

BDGS

Bench
The Broncos may lose a handful of supporters, but what is more likely to happen is Brisbane II will bring back supporters who are currently supporting the Brisbane Lions and/or QLD Reds. I know a lot of people who support the Lions or Reds because they aren't the Broncos. People will be shocked how many fans this new franchise will attract.

What remains to be seen is the proof of all of this of course.