What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Beowulf

Juniors
Can you tell me how adding an 11th NSW team could in any way be described as expansion?

Its expanding into the regional area of Central Coast where there is no team plus expanding into the hole in the north shore where no team exists. They are not the NSW Bears representing NSW. This obsession with QLD v NSW is irrelevant re club football.

There is already a team in Brisbane. How is going to Brisbane expansion? Many would call it dilution.

adamkungl

Immortal
Its expanding into the regional area of Central Coast where there is no team plus expanding into the hole in the north shore where no team exists. They are not the NSW Bears representing NSW. This obsession with QLD v NSW is irrelevant re club football.

There is already a team in Brisbane. How is going to Brisbane expansion? Many would call it dilution.

Agree.

I would take the 'CC is not expansion' calls from people like bobmar slightly more seriously if they weren't calling for a team to be put in a city that already has a team.

rabbitohs

Juniors
I have been saying for years that a merger of 2 Sydney teams would free up a franchise for the Bears.

Sure, merge the Bulldogs and the Eels.

Job done.

Let me guess...you mean merge 2 Sydney teams as long as it doesn't include your team.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Agree.

I would take the 'CC is not expansion' calls from people like bobmar slightly more seriously if they weren't calling for a team to be put in a city that already has a team.

I generally agree with your comments, but seriously, you dont regard putting another team into the second biggest Rugby League city as expansion?

The AFL will now have two teams in Sydney, Perth & Adelaide, and Rugby League still will only have one team in Brisbane?

Dont people in Brisbane deserve to have a game of NRL played every week?

adamkungl

Immortal
I generally agree with your comments, but seriously, you dont regard putting another team into the second biggest Rugby League city as expansion?

The AFL will now have two teams in Sydney, Perth & Adelaide, and Rugby League still will only have one team in Brisbane?

Dont people in Brisbane deserve to have a game of NRL played every week?

Don't get me wrong, I want to see another team in SE QLD, although at the next round of expansion.

But claiming the CC isn't expansion but Brisbane is expansion is entirely hypocritical. Either they both are or they both aren't. Neither are expanding the game outside its traditional boundaries.

What the AFL does is irrelevant.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Has the Brisbane2 bid ever investigated the possibility of reviing the Crushers name and calling the team 'South Brisbane Crushers' considering they are apparently to represent the south of Brisbane?

Dogs Of War

Coach

I think many of us think that going to Central Coast is dilution as well. Taking away from what is already a tough Sydney market, as well as having an impact on a Newcastle. The Brisbane bid would really be good for the game, taking a little away from the power of the Broncos, as well as servicing the fans of the game who don't support there club. Plus the benefits to fans of other clubs who live up that way, if the draw is done correctly, would guarantee that they would see there team once a year at the very least. I think they bring more to the game than the Bears would, history of the bears aside.

Version 6

Staff member
Why do the Sharks still exist?

This honestly baffles me. What a pointless team that nobody cares about.

Get rid of the Sharks and add Perth, Central Coast and Brisbane 2.

Now that I've solved that for the NRL, I will move on to the television rights situation.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Why do the Sharks still exist?

This honestly baffles me. What a pointless team that nobody cares about.

Get rid of the Sharks and add Perth, Central Coast and Brisbane 2.

Now that I've solved that for the NRL, I will move on to the television rights situation.

Funnily enough, the TV rights will hopefully allow the NRL to put aside enough cash to dangle before a Sydney club in the hope it will move to some set areas (well out of Sydney anyway). I am sure if the Sharks don't see things proceed as quick as they want with the development, which doesn't seem generate the sort of cash that would make them a rich club by any means, they may take that carrot and run with it. Though it would have to be much more than the $8mil they offered last time, maybe something like $25mil, increase by $2-5mil a year. Soon enough a club would bite.

meltiger

First Grade
I thought you would understand why numb nuts.

Wests court case in 1983-4?
Rabbitohs legal challenge in 2001?

There is precident there - the NRL doesn't have the power to boot clubs; they have to die or relocate on their own terms. The NRL can only nudge them.

Not true.

I suggest you embark on some reading in relation to the High Court's ruling in relation to the Federal Court's ruling re: Souths

The legal system also held up the right of the NSWRL to invite or not invite, anyone they pleased when Western suburbs challenged their exclusion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
LOL @ you accusing anyone of making up "facts"

As for your assertion, I am not "afraid" of the Bears, and never have been.

I simply detest their supporters' arrogance and petulance.

You are exhibit 1.
Which is it then? Am I a supporter of theirs or not? :lol: You seem to change the goalposts to suit your argument.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see another team in SE QLD, although at the next round of expansion.

But claiming the CC isn't expansion but Brisbane is expansion is entirely hypocritical. Either they both are or they both aren't. Neither are expanding the game outside its traditional boundaries.

What the AFL does is irrelevant.

QFT.

Spitty

Juniors
The last time I checked fan power and fan money is what keeps Rugby League and all sports funded and afloat.

On this forum I see plenty of fans who support the bears and the reds, I haven't yet seen a Brisbane 2 fan. Unless I've missed something I haven't seen anyone on here, on other footy forums or on Newspaper comments where Brisbanite's are praising the lord that they'll finally have a team to follow.

You can have all the thoroughbreds, big business men, mining industry owners and big idea's you want but the groundswell of support has to come from the streets. Until I see people interested in supporting expansion clubs, I don't see how anyone can say they've got a chance of being admitted.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Macavity and Timmah should just start there own thread in the fight club and have there lovers tiff there. Getting boring guys.

Timmah

Staff member
Sadly he's just repeating the same crap again and again, and I'm just responding with the same crap again and again. I can only apologise for the boredom it's driving everyone too.

smithie

Juniors
The last time I checked fan power and fan money is what keeps Rugby League and all sports funded and afloat.

On this forum I see plenty of fans who support the bears and the reds, I haven't yet seen a Brisbane 2 fan. Unless I've missed something I haven't seen anyone on here, on other footy forums or on Newspaper comments where Brisbanite's are praising the lord that they'll finally have a team to follow.

You can have all the thoroughbreds, big business men, mining industry owners and big idea's you want but the groundswell of support has to come from the streets. Until I see people interested in supporting expansion clubs, I don't see how anyone can say they've got a chance of being admitted.

Can't you see me jumping up and down, waving my hands. I'm a Brisbane II fan.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

What a ridiculous thing to say. Look at how few Titans fans there are on here, despite their success, and look at how well supported they are… Their 'fan power and fan money” is ahead of most other teams in the comp. It’ll be the exact same situation with any new team in SEQ.

Timmah

Staff member
I saw people on this forum for ages behind the Gold Coast bid (keeping in mind they weren't always the Titans).

Dogs Of War

Coach

I am sure there will be a lot of support once the NRL actually invites applications. Bid teams will be very encouraged to get that part of the equation happening. But the financial aspect of the bids is probably the most important part of it all, as you can generate support over a number of years, but you can't afford to start behind the eight ball financially. This is the area that Brisbane 2 has the Central Coast covered, especially as the Central Coast is unlikely to increase anywhere near as fast as Brisbane will. You can't just included North Sydney in the Central Coast bid, as it's more likely they would prefer a team closer to themselves so they can at least attend games in there corporate box without an hour or so drive to the game.

Spitty

Juniors
Can't you see me jumping up and down, waving my hands. I'm a Brisbane II fan.

Sorry mate haven't noticed you posting, good to see there is 1.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Look at how few Titans fans there are on here, despite their success, and look at how well supported they are… Their 'fan power and fan money” is ahead of most other teams in the comp. It’ll be the exact same situation with any new team in SEQ.

I did say other forums and newspaper comments, I don't just mean here. And I remember that leading into the last expansion there was a lot of noise from Gold Coast fans across several media outlets and a general groundswell of support from the community. How many Titans fans are on this particular forum is irrelevant.

But at this early stage their isn't that same support across any media outlet. Maybe it will come and when it does you can say that the bid is up there with CC and WA. But until that happens noone can say that Brisbane 2 has a better chance that the Bears or Reds.