What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
:lol::lol::lol:

You Bears fans are ridiculous. Now over 15% of the entire population of NSW are bears fans? Considering the NRL would be lucky to get 50% of the population (of NSW) supporting it let alone just sport in general your numbers are way off.

By the way 1.1 million fans pretty much makes them the most popular sporting team in Australia of any code.

I'm not a bears fan, its quite obvious to anyone with a decent IQ who i support.

I thought you would understand why numb nuts.

Wests court case in 1983-4?
Rabbitohs legal challenge in 2001?

There is precident there - the NRL doesn't have the power to boot clubs; they have to die or relocate on their own terms. The NRL can only nudge them.

In the perfect world, Cronulla would have folded or relocated to Wellington, freeing up a licence to bring in the Bears, which would give the competition a great spread of clubs across NSW, and allow propper expansion to occur in Brisbane and Perth.

But it isn't, so the game has to work with whats there and make the best decision for the future of the game, and the Central Coast, no matter how good the bid, is still going to be a small club and bring only small revenue to the game.

Ahh insults, the sign of a BRILLANT argument.

Perhaps you should have read the post carefully:

I doubt that even the 6000, or 0.54% of 1.1 million CC residents, who are bear 'members' would turn their back on the game.

me too, and that's because they make up the majority of the Swans and Waratahs members.

BDGS

Bench
Can't you see me jumping up and down, waving my hands. I'm a Brisbane II fan.

Here i was thinking you were a Roosters supporter.

and here i was being told a few days ago by bears supporters and others, that not all of the 1.1 million people in the area supports Rugby League, you can`t have it both ways.
and are you saying that the people who support other Rugby League teams out of that 1.1 million will turn their backs on Rugby League because the bears do not get in
as i have said in the other thread, i have family who live at Budgewoi, who are die hard eels supporters, there is no way they will turn their backs on Rugby League because the bears do not get in

i think i know who the idiot on all levels, is :lol::lol::lol:

The reason why not all of the people living there don't support Rugby League is two fold.

1. It's impossible to have a total monopoly on an area, news flash not everyone in Brisbane supports Rugby League, not everyone in Penrith supports Rugby League, not everyone in Parramatta support Rugby League. What's the difference? they have the oppotrtunity to support a local Rugby League team whereas residents of the Central Coast can't.

2. A lot of non-Rugby League supporters on the coast support the Swans and Waratahs due to their involvement in the areas. The Swans just recently set up some training facilities on the Central Coast lately along with one in Wollongong.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm not a bears fan, its quite obvious to anyone with a decent IQ who i support.
Anyone can wear a disguise on the internet AngryBear.

me too, and that's because they make up the majority of the Swans and Waratahs members.
Here lies a contradiction - the CC and North Sydney are Rugby League heartland yet the majority of swans and waratah fans reside there.
There are three explanations:
1 - these supporters of other codes changed codes en masse when the bears were 'kicked out'. If this is the case who showed up at waratah and swan games pre 2000?
2 - the north sydney and cc coast region were never rugby league strongholds.
3 - you made it up.

Leave the arguing for a bears team to people with a bit of nous and knowledge. You're doing more harm than good.

The reason why not all of the people living there don't support Rugby League is two fold.

1. It's impossible to have a total monopoly on an area, news flash not everyone in Brisbane supports Rugby League, not everyone in Penrith supports Rugby League, not everyone in Parramatta support Rugby League. What's the difference? they have the oppotrtunity to support a local Rugby League team whereas residents of the Central Coast can't.

2. A lot of non-Rugby League supporters on the coast support the Swans and Waratahs due to their involvement in the areas. The Swans just recently set up some training facilities on the Central Coast lately along with one in Wollongong.

and yet you were saying that 1.1 million people would turn their backs on Rugby League if the Bears do not Get in, it is amazing that you can talk with both feet in oyour mouth and back peddle as well.....as i said i now know who the idiot on all levels is

BDGS

Bench
Anyone can wear a disguise on the internet AngryBear.

Here lies a contradiction - the CC and North Sydney are Rugby League heartland yet the majority of swans and waratah fans reside there.
There are three explanations:
1 - these supporters of other codes changed codes en masse when the bears were 'kicked out'. If this is the case who showed up at waratah and swan games pre 2000?
2 - the north sydney and cc coast region were never rugby league strongholds.
3 - you made it up.

Leave the arguing for a bears team to people with a bit of nous and knowledge. You're doing more harm than good.

Thanks for showing you compete ignorance to the NSW sporting market. The Swans almost died in the 90s and only survived on pay outs by the AFL (or VFL whatever it was/is) and then legends like lockkett coming through.

These days they boost healthy crowds and are in no danger whatsoever.

How did that happen i wonder?

Do you want to just lose fans or bring them back.

You seem to not give a sh*t, you seem to only want an extra QLD team because of your own biased. Your lack of argument is painfully obvious to the majority of posters.

Also, what the f**k is this angrybear sh*t about?

and yet you were saying that 1.1 million people would turn their backs on Rugby League if the Bears do not Get in, it is amazing that you can talk with both feet in oyour mouth and back peddle as well.....as i said i now know who the idiot on all levels is

At least this one gives himself an appropriate name.

The Central Coast Bears have the ability to reach out to a possible of 1.1 million people. As Beowulf said earlier read it properly, and i'll add to that read what is there and not what you want to be there.

smithie

Juniors

It is possible to support two teams.

I will always be a Roosters fan 1st, that will never change. However it has been very difficult to be a Rooster supporter living in Brisbane. Last year was the first time the Roosters had played at Suncorp in five years. It would be nice to be able to support a team in the city I live in, that isn't the Broncos.

Last edited:

Sam H

Juniors
:lol:

Not laughing at the statement, on it's own, quite possible.

But to think it won't impact on the Broncos' averages if it were to average that highly is naive. Is it really worth weakening the support base of the Broncos just to say we've got another stake planted in the ground north of the border?

That's a fair point, but in the medium term will it really impact Broncos averages / support?

There are a lot of sporting competitions out there that have pretty prolific two-club city rivalries where both teams seem to benefit from the other.

AFL expansion to Adelaide / Perth is arguably comparable, in broad terms.

Based on this it looks like the Adelaide Crows' home crowds held up pretty well after the introduction of Port Adelaide in 1997. Same for the West Coast Eagles and the inclusion of Fremantle in 1995.

It's possible that Brisbane 2 would eat away at Broncos support but I don't think there's any compelling evidence that this would be the case. The precedents in AFL aren't perfect (latent anti Broncos sentiment from Super League, inclusion of Titans etc) but they do show that one new club in a large-ish town doesn't necessarily drag down the other.

BDGS

Bench
It is possible to support two teams.

I will always be a Roosters fan 1st, that will never change. However it has been very difficult to be a Rooster supporter living in Brisbane. Last year was the first time the Roosters had played at Suncorp in five years. It would be nice to be able to support a team in the city I live in, that isn't the Broncos.

It is possible but the part where you say this:

"I will always be a Roosters fan 1st" is a worry, a few pages over it was discovered that you were the only member on this forum (or any forum) that will support the second Brisbane team if it gets in and you are now saying you will always be a Roosters fan first.

There are no Brisbane2 supporters that would support the possible team if they get in that don't already have "first" teams that come before Brisbane2, other bids have diehard fans that don't support other teams. So far there are none of these for any of the SEQ bids.

I was just clarifying that there aren't any diehard fans that won't have team if this bid fails unlike other bids.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Thanks for showing you compete ignorance to the NSW sporting market. The Swans almost died in the 90s and only survived on pay outs by the AFL (or VFL whatever it was/is) and then legends like lockkett coming through.
Thanks for the completely unneccesary history lesson.
These days they boost healthy crowds and are in no danger whatsoever.

How did that happen i wonder?

Do you want to just lose fans or bring them back.
Some people with the intelligence of a gnat may believe your line that the people of North Sydney and the CC began supporting the swans and waratahs because the bears were nixed. The truth is less dramatic - the region was already heavily populated with union and afl fans. That's why the bears looked to the coast in the first place.

You seem to not give a sh*t, you seem to only want an extra QLD team because of your own biased.
Roll out the multicoloured carpet the king of fools is here. Everyone who has an opinion on expansion and who gets in is biased. You want the bears in - you're biased towards them. Laughable.

Your lack of argument is painfully obvious to the majority of posters.
Who? What majority of posters? The only thing my argument lacks is your recipe of making bullsh*t up, unnamed and nonexistent sources, outdated heresay and cliched drivel.

Also, what the f**k is this angrybear sh*t about?
You have answered your own question.

BDGS

Bench
Thanks for the completely unneccesary history lesson.

Some people with the intelligence of a gnat may believe your line that the people of North Sydney and the CC began supporting the swans and waratahs because the bears were nixed. The truth is less dramatic - the region was already heavily populated with union and afl fans. That's why the bears looked to the coast in the first place.

Roll out the multicoloured carpet the king of fools is here. Everyone who has an opinion on expansion and who gets in is biased. You want the bears in - you're biased towards them. Laughable.

Who? What majority of posters? The only thing my argument lacks is your recipe of making bullsh*t up, unnamed and nonexistent sources, outdated heresay and cliched drivel.

You have answered your own question.

Ahhh the final post that really says nothing and attempts to turn everything i said back to me. Obviously just an attempt to get the last word in. Sad really.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is possible but the part where you say this:

"I will always be a Roosters fan 1st" is a worry, a few pages over it was discovered that you were the only member on this forum (or any forum) that will support the second Brisbane team if it gets in and you are now saying you will always be a Roosters fan first.

There are no Brisbane2 supporters that would support the possible team if they get in that don't already have "first" teams that come before Brisbane2, other bids have diehard fans that don't support other teams. So far there are none of these for any of the SEQ bids.

I was just clarifying that there aren't any diehard fans that won't have team if this bid fails unlike other bids.

TBF this is the same for most CC RL fans, as witnessed when NRL games are played at Gosford and will be the same for most Aussie RL fans in Perth. If your a RL fan and don't have a team to back you tend to be going for an existing one. As long as you get behind the enw team and but a membership does it matter if you have a lifelong club or affiliation with another side? In a generation or two any new team will have its own supporter base come through.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Ahhh the final post that really says nothing and attempts to turn everything i said back to me. .
It says nothing yet it attempts to turn everything you said back to you. Very apt as you say nothing of any substance. You said the ridiculous things so take ownership of them.
Obviously just an attempt to get the last word in. Sad really.
No, an attempt to call you out as the blunderer you are. Keep posting your foolishness by all means but be prepared to be pulled up on it when it is rightfully seen to be nonsense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have to say I have never met a RL fan that has turned hi sback on the game and started supporting RU or AFL whilst completely ignoring RL. Has anyone else?

I would rather poke my eyes out than go to a RU game!

BDGS

Bench
TBF this is the same for most CC RL fans, as witnessed when NRL games are played at Gosford and will be the same for most Aussie RL fans in Perth. If your a RL fan and don't have a team to back you tend to be going for an existing one. As long as you get behind the enw team and but a membership does it matter if you have a lifelong club or affiliation with another side? In a generation or two any new team will have its own supporter base come through.

Yes, but the ones pushing for another Brisbane team are more or less Brisbane Broncos fans (not here in other places) the dangerous thing is they are the same people who said they would support an GC team, are they now GC supporters? no they aren't. They are Broncos supporters that change ship to the Titans if the Titans happen to do better then the Broncos.

There only other supporters are the one off bulldog or rooster fan that admits they will never take the number 1 spot off their existing teams.

Compared to the CC, WA and CQ bid. There are CC fans who currently don't support any team pushing for a team (while their may be some residents already having teams), on this site alone there are 4 or 5 of them, just as there are 3 or 4 of WA only supporters on this site and 1 CQ supporter only on this site (more on the other site).

But where are the Brisbane2 only supporters?

I remember there were GC only supporters before the GC bid was accepted.

It says nothing yet it attempts to turn everything you said back to you. Very apt as you say nothing of any substance. You said the ridiculous things so take ownership of them.

No, an attempt to call you out as the blunderer you are. Keep posting your foolishness by all means but be prepared to be pulled up on it when it is rightfully seen to be nonsense.

And again, this obsession with having the last say is a dangerous one.

Brutus

Referee
I know several rugby league people in Brisbane who, when asked which club they support, still drop the name of an QLD Cup club.

They simply do not have an interest in supporting an NRL team, despite watching many of the games.

These are the people that will jump on board a 2nd Brisbane team (if done the right way) in a heartbeat.

Billythekid

First Grade
a combination of poor teams and subiaco dropped their crowds, they are improving a bit now they are at NIB but still have a poor team!

NIB stadium has very little cover for fans, the new stand will help a great deal with this but until then it is very exposed.

Force also had advantages the Reds won't have, an ARU that strategically rasied the profile of the game in the city years prior to their admission, FTA International RU to raise profile of their game and a $12mill ARU grant to put together a very effective marketing plan.

I'd be happy with a starting avg of 15k and looking to build on that as the game gets better media support in the West.

Well the reds have an advantage the force don't have in that the NRL is growing whereas union in this country is dying.

I was simply suggesting that there is definitely potential for the reds to average over 20K. I wouldn't expect them to start off at that level.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well the reds have an advantage the force don't have in that the NRL is growing whereas union in this country is dying.

I was simply suggesting that there is definitely potential for the reds to average over 20K. I wouldn't expect them to start off at that level.

Totally agree and if we get a team I would expect the media interest and public interest to grow rapidly in RL again. One thing about Perth is that people do like to behind Perth teams regardless of the code. Think it is the isolation thing!

In around 10 years NIB will be totally redeveloped, around 30k capacity and the Reds will be wiining their first GF with 50% of the team WA lads, then we will see 20K comfortably!

BDGS

Bench
I know several rugby league people in Brisbane who, when asked which club they support, still drop the name of an QLD Cup club.

They simply do not have an interest in supporting an NRL team, despite watching many of the games.

These are the people that will jump on board a 2nd Brisbane team (if done the right way) in a heartbeat.

Or perhaps these are the people that blame the NSWRL (now the NRL) for killing off the old BRL and won't support any team in it regardless.

Beowulf

Juniors
Your figures are probably correct for the first few seasons...

The difference being that Brisbane 2 could grow over time, where I see those numbers for the Bears and Reds being their standard....

15K average is still a good result for Perth though...

Home crowds are only half the story - away crowds are equally as important.

Re home crowds, based on Crusher crowds, IMO initially Brisbane2 could probably hope for 20-22K average, Bears prob 18K, Perth 14-15K. The Broncos could well lose 5K in support however, leavng a net Brisbane gain of maybe 17K.

Away crowds - Bears will draw 5-10K minimum at all NSW, Brisbane & Gold Coast games (ie most games). Can't see any games other than Brisbane2 v Broncos and v Titans getting more than 1K away support (maybe a bit more for Cowboys).

I stress all my opinion. No facts other than what the Bears are estimating for their own crowds home and away.

Latest posts