What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BuffaloRules

Coach
Tough nosed business people will be making the expansion decision....

Not the sort of people that will be swayed by emotion and tugs to the heart strings I would have thought...

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Brisbane is set to double in size between now and 2030. 6m people. Perth has 3m now and is also set to boom. CQ is a write off here, but the Central Coast has nothing to brag about.

Wow, doesn't help you points when you post such inaccurate information.
Brisbane is just over 2 million (SEQ 2.9 million)
Perth is 1.66 million

By 2050 the most generous predictions are Brisbane 4.5 million, Perth 4.2 million.

adamkungl

Immortal
QUOTE=Red&BlackBear;7174842]The NRL were the one's who came out earlier this century and said that the CC was a strategic expansion region/area.
True, but relative to pretty much every other bid its a weak option. They say things like that to be nice too, when in reality they are thinking bigger picture.

Irelevant. The changes in your bid have next to no relevance to meeting criteria for NRL admission, including improving the TV rights of the game, and improving the overall balance sheet of the competition.

Your bid is all heart because beyond working around the edges on things like jerseys, $10 memberships and trying to tap into memories of the Bears, you have failed to address in any real measurable way the big deficiency of your bid - Gosford is next to the over saturated Sydney. It will add nothing to the TV deal as there is already too much local NSW content for broadcasters.

See you at the next TV deal in 2017 Bears! :lol:

Usually we agree on RL matters but I strongly disagree that the Bears will add nothing to the comp, and even moreso that they will be the next Cronulla. With a catchment area roughly the size of St George Illawarra's and massive community support I don't see how you can back that claim up. I have no doubts whatsoever they will be successful for a long time to come.

As for what they add to the competition. You are correct in that they are probably the least profitable in regards to TV rights. I don't believe they add nothing however - a lot of old fans still put off by the effects of the SL war will return, and they have massive rivalry drawing power with Manly, Newcastle, and the other foundation clubs. They will be a club with massive hype and feelgood factor - you call them 'tugging at heartstrings', I don't think they should be discounted. They are the sort of feelings that draw consumers to products. They won't bring another QLD derby in, but I think the Bears will result in an overall average ratings boost to the NRL.

Moving away from TV rights, I see similar effects with crowds. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that the home crowds of (almost) all clubs will be boosted by Bears away support. Given the Bears home is based outside of Sydney but huge numbers of Bears fans reside in Sydney and some in QLD, I believe they will have close to, if not the best away support of any club in the NRL. A game vs the Bears will result in potentially thousands more paying fans through the gates for most clubs in the game. A game vs Ipswich...no history, no fans... see 'Roosters v Nth QLD' in pretty much any year as a reference point.

Sydney is criticised for not turning up to support our game. I believe bringing back the Bears, combined with a continued membership push, will result in Sydney reclaiming the throne of Rugby League heartland, as well as giving a massive junior league nursery a well deserved chance to compete in the best RL comp in the world.

macavity

Referee
representing 22% of the most populated state in Australia

they are claiming a slab of Newcastle's junior feeder area, are they claiming a slab of our population too?

Should be called the Central Coast Succubi

macavity

Referee
The Brisbane twenty20 side in the big bash is going to called the Brisbane Heat.

Other names that were in the shortlist were Chargers, Freestylers, Burn, Heat, Revolution, Dynamo, Thunder and Blast.

I'm glad they didn't pick chargers because that's the only decent name in the bunch and Brisbane2 should at least consider it.

erm, a charger is a horse.

so is a bronco....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
they are claiming a slab of Newcastle's junior feeder area, are they claiming a slab of our population too?

Should be called the Central Coast Succubi
Didn't we deal with this?

Or are you still happy to wander around the forums lying through your fearful teeth?

blukablu

Juniors
Usually we agree on RL matters but I strongly disagree that the Bears will add nothing to the comp, and even moreso that they will be the next Cronulla. With a catchment area roughly the size of St George Illawarra's and massive community support I don't see how you can back that claim up. I have no doubts whatsoever they will be successful for a long time to come.

As for what they add to the competition. You are correct in that they are probably the least profitable in regards to TV rights. I don't believe they add nothing however - a lot of old fans still put off by the effects of the SL war will return, and they have massive rivalry drawing power with Manly, Newcastle, and the other foundation clubs. They will be a club with massive hype and feelgood factor - you call them 'tugging at heartstrings', I don't think they should be discounted. They are the sort of feelings that draw consumers to products. They won't bring another QLD derby in, but I think the Bears will result in an overall average ratings boost to the NRL.

Moving away from TV rights, I see similar effects with crowds. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that the home crowds of (almost) all clubs will be boosted by Bears away support. Given the Bears home is based outside of Sydney but huge numbers of Bears fans reside in Sydney and some in QLD, I believe they will have close to, if not the best away support of any club in the NRL. A game vs the Bears will result in potentially thousands more paying fans through the gates for most clubs in the game. A game vs Ipswich...no history, no fans... see 'Roosters v Nth QLD' in pretty much any year as a reference point.

Sydney is criticised for not turning up to support our game. I believe bringing back the Bears, combined with a continued membership push, will result in Sydney reclaiming the throne of Rugby League heartland, as well as giving a massive junior league nursery a well deserved chance to compete in the best RL comp in the world.

:lol::lol::lol:
So a club that has been dead for years will be the most popular Rugby League team in Australia? The truth is most Bears supporters have either

a) Moved on to another club (majority)
b) Moved on to another sport (minority)
c) Neutral supporters who watch the game anyway

The rest are just making a big noise to try and get readmitted and the IC will see through it and make the right choice. We might as well make St George, Steelers, Magpies, Tigers separate clubs. Throw in Newtown while we're at it and rename the competition NSWRL cup and became as relevant in this country as the NSL. Rugby League needs to move forward not backwards.

If the Bear are admitted they will just be another Newcastle or Townsville. Struggle financially and competitively due to having to pay overs to attract good players. 99 out of 100 players would chose Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or the Gold Coast over Gosford.

I'd rather every club get a few hundred thousand dollars a year from the TV money Brisbane and Perth would bring in rather then the few supporters the Bears would bring to each away game.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
An unbelievably unprovable statement to say the majority of Bears fans started supporting other teams.

The rest of your statements are simply baseless :lol:

It's worth remembering that the TV product is damaged by empty stadiums btw.

blukablu

Juniors
An unbelievably unprovable statement to say the majority of Bears fans started supporting other teams.

The rest of your statements are simply baseless :lol:

It's worth remembering that the TV product is damaged by empty stadiums btw.

And the Bears and going to fill them at ANZ? Or SFS?

I'm sure there won't be many empty seats at Gosford being such a small stadium but how much do you expect to be on FTA? Just ask Canberra, Newcastle or Townsville.

Well if they really are so well supported as you claim where is the march along the streets Souths style? I heard they tried to have one a few months ago.. 200 or so went along. Geez admit them now NRL thats a lot of fans we don't want to miss out on.

mightybears

Bench
So a club that has been dead for years will be the most popular Rugby League team in Australia? The truth is most Bears supporters have either

The rest are just making a big noise to try and get readmitted and the IC will see through it and make the right choice. We might as well make St George, Steelers, Magpies, Tigers separate clubs. Throw in Newtown while we're at it and rename the competition NSWRL cup and became as relevant in this country as the NSL. Rugby League needs to move forward not backwards.

If the Bear are admitted they will just be another Newcastle or Townsville. Struggle financially and competitively due to having to pay overs to attract good players. 99 out of 100 players would chose Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or the Gold Coast over Gosford.

I'd rather every club get a few hundred thousand dollars a year from the TV money Brisbane and Perth would bring in rather then the few supporters the Bears would bring to each away game.

No idea

even if you think a, b or c are actually true, wouldn't a CCB's mean that those people would come back? [or at least most of them?]. I can assure you Norths fans are fundy, the connection with the NRL was our team being in it, they'll be back.

They won't struggle financially, [other than 1999 we never did!]-the plan, the numbers, the sponsors, the ground is there, so is 103 years of marketing/history/tradition and support.

Timmah

Staff member

I'm sure there won't be many empty seats at Gosford being such a small stadium but how much do you expect to be on FTA? Just ask Canberra, Newcastle or Townsville.

Well if they really are so well supported as you claim where is the march along the streets Souths style? I heard they tried to have one a few months ago.. 200 or so went along. Geez admit them now NRL thats a lot of fans we don't want to miss out on.

:lol: The number I saw was 1,000. Nice try though.

The logic here is bizarre. There are teams currently playing to empty stadiums. Why not off them and introduce the Bears?

Beowulf

Juniors

The Bears can and will add an extra tier to the northern end lifting capacity to almost 24,000, a perfect size for a regional NRL stadium. If you've been there, you wouldn't want it any bigger to risk losing the intimate feel of the ground. There have already been two marches, the first over a year ago drew around 650, the second abt 10 months ago drew 1350. There will be one more coming up I understand in the next few months. You must be getting desperate to lie so blatantly, or as I suspect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you want to match home/away crowd figures, the Bears eat the QLD bids for breakfast. Agree both could average 20,000 at home. Re away crowds, the Bears have discussed with the NRL their estimates for away crowds in Sydney, Newcastle. They believe, and the NRL accept, they will bring approx 5,000-10,000 away fans to these venues, ie the majority of NRL away games. Around 4-5,000 for Brisbane/Gold Coast games due to our strong support in QLD. On that score, they will be close to, if not the, most supported away team in the comp.

How much will a team from Brisbane, put together by a disaffected Bronco with no community grassroots evolution, no respect for competing bid teams and no brand history pull away from SEQ - 500? 1,000?

After finding out about the guy in charge, I think supporters across Australia would find the Ipswich bid slightly more palatable than an embittered, hostile and pale replica of the Broncos greed machine, which this bid is turning into . Me2 products almost always fail.

Beowulf

Juniors

The North Sydney Bears are still in existance - the first receipted Club in NSW just celebrated its 103rd birthday. Having worked on merchandise booths for a while now I can tell you most former Bears fans either watch NRL only intermittently or not at all. They will be back once the license is granted. The majority of Bears fans have not 'moved to another club' - that betrays your ignorance of the culture of this club - loyal and thick-skinned...we've had to be!

David Gallop said one of the greatest tragedies about the super league war was the loss of the Bears (David you can fix that in 6 months time) and the around 40,000 fans lost to the game that the NRL want to reconnect with.

As for your ignorant comment re paying overs, the Bears will have a Centre of Excellence similar to the Titans, which will attract top players. Obviously you haven't been to the Central Coast for a while, if ever, because Avoca/Terrigal/Wamberal/Shelley Beach are for the multi-millionaires only these days - 99/100 players would love that environment and Daisy and Flo will provide a culture players will want to be a part of.

Last edited:

blukablu

Juniors
:lol: The number I saw was 1,000. Nice try though.

The logic here is bizarre. There are teams currently playing to empty stadiums. Why not off them and introduce the Bears?

I have no problem with that as long as it's a Sydney club. There's a few clubs that I'd prefer to be excluded for the Bears to come in. I think just don't think EXPANSION should be going just up the road from where this competition started in this country over 100 years ago. Perth is a must and SEQ is too big of an area to ignore also a 2nd NZ team would be really beneficial.

I'm not anti-Bears I just think there are better options right now. NSW has reached it's limit with teams and I also don't buy into this whole myth that the Bears fans have created that all of a sudden they're going to be the most watched, profitable, competitive, supported, amazing club ever to grace the Australian sporting landscape.

macavity

Referee
I love it how Timmah throws around his made up "facts" while calling everyone else a BS artist.

macavity

Referee
Were the Gold Coast Chargers moniker a horse?

ChargersAFLLogo.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_warfare said:
A generic word used to describe medieval war horses was charger, which appears interchangeable with the other terms.

adamkungl

Immortal
I have no problem with that as long as it's a Sydney club. There's a few clubs that I'd prefer to be excluded for the Bears to come in. I think just don't think EXPANSION should be going just up the road from where this competition started in this country over 100 years ago. Perth is a must and SEQ is too big of an area to ignore also a 2nd NZ team would be really beneficial.

I'm not anti-Bears I just think there are better options right now. NSW has reached it's limit with teams and I also don't buy into this whole myth that the Bears fans have created that all of a sudden they're going to be the most watched, profitable, competitive, supported, amazing club ever to grace the Australian sporting landscape.

And I don't buy the myth that Queensland is suddenly gods gift to rugby league.

Nor do I buy the myth that Sydney is "over saturated" and clubs need to be cut.

A SEQLD team was introduced 4 years ago. I think they should be given the chance to firmly entrench themselves before another new side pops up and increases the competition for new fans.

Nobody is arguing that there shouldn't be another QLD team soon. But the same opportunities that exist in QLD now will still exist in 5 years. CC Bears are ready now and have been for a long time, and will add to the competition. This is likely to be the Bears last chance - I can't see anyone having the heart to go around again after being crushed for the 3rd time.

JRH

Juniors
I think the Bears got a bit cocky about their bid. Yes, they have made a great case, but I think Perth is front runner for of a number of reasons, including the TV times, which seems to be weighing heavily in the NRL's decision making. And, it looks like the second Brisbane team is gaining more and more momentum every day... their marketing team already surpasses anything currently operating in the NRL!

I'd love to see the Bears back in the NRL one day, but I think Rugby League needs to make some bold statements about expanding to a truly national sport, and with Qld Rugby League getting stronger all the time it makes sense to admit another Brisbane team this time around. Maybe 2017 for the Bears... and the Southern Orcas too (another NZ team would have to be on the cards in the next ten years).