What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
The last time I checked fan power and fan money is what keeps Rugby League and all sports funded and afloat.

On this forum I see plenty of fans who support the bears and the reds, I haven't yet seen a Brisbane 2 fan. Unless I've missed something I haven't seen anyone on here, on other footy forums or on Newspaper comments where Brisbanite's are praising the lord that they'll finally have a team to follow.

You can have all the thoroughbreds, big business men, mining industry owners and big idea's you want but the groundswell of support has to come from the streets. Until I see people interested in supporting expansion clubs, I don't see how anyone can say they've got a chance of being admitted.

I will be buying a BNEII membership if they get in. So I can go to Suncorp everyweek!

I know a few people who are interested too. You do realise only long term(10-18year) members get the good (halfway in the shade on Sundays) seats at Suncorp. A 2nd team will have no problem generating support or filling Suncorp (just like the Broncos do with plenty of people who don't follow them but want to watch some RL).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I did say other forums and newspaper comments, I don't just mean here. And I remember that leading into the last expansion there was a lot of noise from Gold Coast fans across several media outlets and a general groundswell of support from the community. How many Titans fans are on this particular forum is irrelevant.

But at this early stage their isn't that same support across any media outlet. Maybe it will come and when it does you can say that the bid is up there with CC and WA. But until that happens noone can say that Brisbane 2 has a better chance that the Bears or Reds.

There are two million people in Brisbane alone, 3+ million in SEQ. RL is so far out in front of the other codes it’s not even funny. It’s farcical to suggest that the support won’t be there for a new team.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBh I don;t see that there will be alot of difference in attendances between any of the three faves. I'd suggest it will look something like:

brisbane2 18-20k
CC Bear 15-17k
WA Reds 14-16k

Doubt there will be a huge paying fanbase difference at the start of any of the clubs lives.

BuffaloRules

Coach
TBh I don;t see that there will be alot of difference in attendances between any of the three faves. I'd suggest it will look something like:

brisbane2 18-20k
CC Bear 15-17k
WA Reds 14-16k

Doubt there will be a huge paying fanbase difference at the start of any of the clubs lives.

Your figures are probably correct for the first few seasons...

The difference being that Brisbane 2 could grow over time, where I see those numbers for the Bears and Reds being their standard....

15K average is still a good result for Perth though...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

brisbane2 18-20k
CC Bear 15-17k
WA Reds 14-16k

The Crushers drew more than that and that was 15 years ago. I think they’d be aiming for the high 20’s at least.
Factor in a few 40K+ crowds vs the Bronx, Tits and Cows plus homegames against teams like Saints who have lots of support in Bris and I wouldn’t think a 30K+ avg in their first season would be out of the question.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
bris 2 will have an avergage of 25k+ easy

:lol:

Not laughing at the statement, on it's own, quite possible.

But to think it won't impact on the Broncos' averages if it were to average that highly is naive. Is it really worth weakening the support base of the Broncos just to say we've got another stake planted in the ground north of the border?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Crushers drew more than that and that was 15 years ago. I think they’d be aiming for the high 20’s at least.

We can hardly use the Crushers as a milestone. They may well have gone on to do good things had the SL war not happened and Brisbane actively attempted to freeze them out, however the thing to remember is they averaged very well in their first season, then went terribly.

We will never know what their potential was, but to suggest without any consistent basis that they would've continued to average the strong first-season figures from 1995... that's clutching at straws, sorry. Titans' averages have dropped 4,000 per game alone since 2008, their first season at Skilled Park, despite an upswing in form.

smithie

Juniors
Titans crowd drops have nothing to do with lack of support. They need to make tickets more affordable.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The impact of a second Brisbane team to the Broncos crowds is purely speculation.

We wont know what will happen until it eventuates...

Billythekid

First Grade
Your figures are probably correct for the first few seasons...

The difference being that Brisbane 2 could grow over time, where I see those numbers for the Bears and Reds being their standard....

15K average is still a good result for Perth though...

I don't see why Perth couldn't get higher crowds than that. The force have shown that it is possible to build a fairly large fan base in Perth. The population in Perth is also rapidly growing and there are a lot of people from NZ, NSW and QLD who are continuing to move there.

Personally i think ir Perth is admitted their crowds and tv ratings will go up quite a bit overtime.

BuffaloRules

Coach
In 2010 the Western Force averaged 17K over 6 games and most of these games are in Autumn...

If the Reds average 15k over 12 games including all of winter it would be a good result....

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Count me as another member-in-waiting for the Brisbane 2 bid. This club is exactly what the town has needed for many years and will represent a fan such as myself. I count myself as one amongst many who have always had an apathy for the Broncos. So for anyone to suggest there will not be support for this club is simply comical.

The most difficult thing will be the fact I've grown to be a rusted on Cowboys supporter after all these years and it would be disgraceful on my part to turn my back on that. Dual memberships for me for the rest of my life it would seem.

Anyone good for a loan?

Brutus

Referee
We can hardly use the Crushers as a milestone. They may well have gone on to do good things had the SL war not happened and Brisbane actively attempted to freeze them out, however the thing to remember is they averaged very well in their first season, then went terribly.

No need to go on then really...

blukablu

Juniors

brisbane2 18-20k
CC Bear 15-17k
WA Reds 14-16k

I'd say Brisbane2 bare minimum would be around 25k average. You'd be surprised how many people in Brisbane hate the Broncos.. It's either you hate them or love them here. They'd also get pretty big crowds for Warriors, Cowboys, Dragons, Broncos and Titans games.

They'd probably knock off 5k or off the Broncos average but the way their crowds are rising every year it would be similar to what their getting now and who knows finally actually having a real derby might boost the support for them in the long run.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
In 2010 the Western Force averaged 17K over 6 games and most of these games are in Autumn...

If the Reds average 15k over 12 games including all of winter it would be a good result....

In previous seasons the force have averaged more than 25K haven't they? I thought their crowds dropped because of the situation with the stadium, but im not really sure. Although i guess the state of union in this country doesn't help either.

Regardless they have shown that it is possible to pull fairly decent size crowds.

Just out of interest why would playing games in winter have a major impact on crowds?

Perth Red

Post Whore
In previous seasons the force have averaged more than 25K haven't they? I thought their crowds dropped because of the situation with the stadium, but im not really sure. Although i guess the state of union in this country doesn't help either.

Regardless they have shown that it is possible to pull fairly decent size crowds.

Just out of interest why would playing games in winter have a major impact on crowds?

a combination of poor teams and subiaco dropped their crowds, they are improving a bit now they are at NIB but still have a poor team!

NIB stadium has very little cover for fans, the new stand will help a great deal with this but until then it is very exposed.

Force also had advantages the Reds won't have, an ARU that strategically rasied the profile of the game in the city years prior to their admission, FTA International RU to raise profile of their game and a $12mill ARU grant to put together a very effective marketing plan.

I'd be happy with a starting avg of 15k and looking to build on that as the game gets better media support in the West.

I needed a good laugh, thanks for providing it.

You truly are an idiot on all levels, EVEN if you are correct. The decision to not include the Central Coast bears will effectively killed the Bears and see the 1.1 million people in that area turn their backs on the game.

Even your smartarse comments aren't even correct.

:lol::lol:

and here i was being told a few days ago by bears supporters and others, that not all of the 1.1 million people in the area supports Rugby League, you can`t have it both ways.
and are you saying that the people who support other Rugby League teams out of that 1.1 million will turn their backs on Rugby League because the bears do not get in
as i have said in the other thread, i have family who live at Budgewoi, who are die hard eels supporters, there is no way they will turn their backs on Rugby League because the bears do not get in

i think i know who the idiot on all levels, is :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts