What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Beowulf

Juniors
Great idea. Buffalo

Another idea would be a condition of being considered under the tender process is that they cannot comment publicly on competing bids. Hence we don't split the potential fan base and have one or more sets of fans feeling dudded if their preferred bud misses out.

What a funny idea. Let's guarantee a team when no decent bid that unifies the region exists! That seems to imply that different rules apply for SEQ compared with the rest of the country....sort of like State of Origin eligibility! So Perth, CQLD and Central Coast bids are deemed not as important as SEQ, despite the NRL stating that they have no bid preference, only most advanced bid. The Bears have the most advanced bid and are short priced favourites as a result.

The NRL are obviously going to watch the dust settle and see which SEQ bid emerges if any that gains near universal support before deciding if a team can be justified. This squabbling suits the NRL, giving them an excuse to not pick a team there and protect the Broncos and Titans. If none of the bids knocks out the others in SEQ, there won't be an SEQ team approved for a long, long time.

Dogs Of War

Coach
What a funny idea. Let's guarantee a team when no decent bid that unifies the region exists! That seems to imply that different rules apply for SEQ compared with the rest of the country....sort of like State of Origin eligibility! So Perth, CQLD and Central Coast bids are deemed not as important as SEQ, despite the NRL stating that they have no bid preference, only most advanced bid. The Bears have the most advanced bid and are short priced favourites as a result.

The NRL are obviously going to watch the dust settle and see which SEQ bid emerges if any that gains near universal support before deciding if a team can be justified. This squabbling suits the NRL, giving them an excuse to not pick a team there and protect the Broncos and Titans. If none of the bids knocks out the others in SEQ, there won't be an SEQ team approved for a long, long time.

Personally nothing should happen till the IC are appointed. The current problem with the game is that there is no plan. If the IC determines that it's best to have a team in SEQ, then they can put that forward to the bid teams from that area. While the other bid teams would have to compete for the other remaining spot. Who knows, it may turn out like 1995 and 4 teams get admitted as the bids are all too good. Just hopefully they stagger the entry points this time.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Do you know what the Central Coast is like?

They won't accept anybody else, go to the coast, ask the people.

Its the Central Coast Bears or nothing, you can't just relocate a team there because it would solve problem and allow another QLD team.

That is complete ignorance.

Bears or nothing. Bet they change there mind fast if nothing is what they are left with if the Bears miss out. I know that Bears fans do understand that this is really it, if they miss out this time, then really there are no other options for them, unless they decide to start a bid for an area like Adelaide, Wellington or something like that.

While the Central Coast will still be there in 5-10 years, and in that time I am sure that AFL will not take over, the ARU will not take over, as the NRL will still put a better product at Graham Park than any of those sports can deliver, even if it's not the Central Coast Bears playing there.

The people of the Central Coast better hope that if they do miss out, that the NRL assists a down club make the move to the Coast. And I am sure the Central Coast people will embrace the club if they have a guarantee they will stay (which I am sure the NRL will ensure).

Either way. It's pretty poor form for all you Central Coast fans to hijack another teams bid thread to spruik how the Bears are the best bid. If the Bears are the best bid, then so be it, you will be rewarded. Otherwise just let this thread develop how it should, if anything by continually bumping it, you are bringing it to the fore so others may start getting interested in it.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Bears or nothing. Bet they change there mind fast if nothing is what they are left with if the Bears miss out. I know that Bears fans do understand that this is really it, if they miss out this time, then really there are no other options for them, unless they decide to start a bid for an area like Adelaide, Wellington or something like that.

I bet that Soccer will develop as the major sport in that market over time if the Bears miss out.

And Rugby League games on the Central Coast will either be non-existing or one offs here and there.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I bet that Soccer will develop as the major sport in that market over time if the Bears miss out.

And Rugby League games on the Central Coast will either be non-existing or one offs here and there.

Yeah, the A-League is going great guns at the moment, not to mention it is a summer league, so it's not in direct competition with the NRL.

As for games. The NRL has been playing 5 games a year now for quite a while at the Central Coast. I see no reason why this won't continue if Central Coast doesn't make it.

You central coast supporters are funny, you make it out that the end of the world is coming if the Central Coast doesn't get admitted this time around, yet personally I don't believe you offer as much to the NRL as other regions would to the game, and more importantly, to the TV rights value.

You simply cant have a team in every town that supports rugby league.

Simple fact is rugby league needs to grow , or it will die. Growth comes with Perth , Brisbane and possibly a 2nd NZ team.

TBH i'd have the central coast over the sharks , but unless a sydney team folds or moves the bears shouldnt come into consideration.

Beowulf

Juniors

Simple fact is rugby league needs to grow , or it will die. Growth comes with Perth , Brisbane and possibly a 2nd NZ team.

TBH i'd have the central coast over the sharks , but unless a sydney team folds or moves the bears shouldnt come into consideration.

Agreed, there msut be a population threshold - 1.1 m for the Bears is enough, Brisbane has enough for another team, Perth has enough and thats about it. Then it comes down to sustainable model and readiness. Don't forget, to max a TV deal they need teams ready for 2013. Only two are/will be ready that have removed most question marks.

I personally would like to see CC, WA, a Brisbane model (last man standing of the contenders) and either CQLD or NZ2 be added w/in 8 years, with the losers from 2013 expansion given provisional licences based on them continuing to develop the bid and the 2 new entrants bedding down successfully. Hopefully the IC will have the same vision!

Agreed, there msut be a population threshold - 1.1 m for the Bears is enough, Brisbane has enough for another team, Perth has enough and thats about it. Then it comes down to sustainable model and readiness. Don't forget, to max a TV deal they need teams ready for 2013. Only two are/will be ready that have removed most question marks.

I personally would like to see CC, WA, a Brisbane model (last man standing of the contenders) and either CQLD or NZ2 be added w/in 8 years, with the losers from 2013 expansion given provisional licences based on them continuing to develop the bid and the 2 new entrants bedding down successfully. Hopefully the IC will have the same vision!

The 1.1 million figure is very rubbery indeed.

I presume by that you including the North Shore. I find it hard to see how a central coast team is going to have much of a connection with the North Shore in the long term. Sure some ex Bears supporters will jump on board , but its going to be very hard to recruit new fans there.

Manly , Easts , Wests tigers ( sfs/leichardt) are all closer to most of the North shore than the bears will be.

Hell even the dogs & parra are closer to most of the North Shore.

Certainly I could see the hornsby district getting on board , its close , a strong rubgy league area and many people that work there live on the coast.

Outside of that, I wouldnt count on much support.

Beowulf

Juniors
The 1.1 million figure is very rubbery indeed.

I presume by that you including the North Shore. I find it hard to see how a central coast team is going to have much of a connection with the North Shore in the long term. Sure some ex Bears supporters will jump on board , but its going to be very hard to recruit new fans there.

Manly , Easts , Wests tigers ( sfs/leichardt) are all closer to most of the North shore than the bears will be.

Hell even the dogs & parra are closer to most of the North Shore.

Certainly I could see the hornsby district getting on board , its close , a strong rubgy league area and many people that work there live on the coast.

Outside of that, I wouldnt count on much support.

The connection to the mid & lower north shore, say south of Gordon would be more emotional I agree, based on multi-generational support. (eg my Dad took me to watch the Bears, so I'm a Bears fan for life, even though I live only 20 min from Manly territory). The advantage the Bears bid has is lower nth shore residents' nearest alternative, Manly, are mortal enemies - like asking a Carlton fan to become a Collingwood fan - won't happen, hasn't happened.

The beauty of the distance from Gosford for these people however, is as you say the proximity to away game venues, like Brookvale, SFS, ANZ, Kogarah, Parra stadium, Leichaardt. The Bears are working on a Sydney fan membership package which includes 1 game at Nth Sydney Oval plus these venues - the lower nth shore will grip this deal, while the Hornsby-Berowra region will be attracted to full membership of home and away, while Gosford residents will probably go for the Bluetongue only packages - everyones a winner!

Goddo

Bench
This was in the Australian today:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...on-strong-future/story-e6frg7mf-1226007193614

Brisbane Broncos wager on strong future

THE Broncos took further steps to fortify themselves against the possible arrival of a second Brisbane team yesterday as one of their NRL rivals - Cronulla - conceded that its survival hung on a vote of members on Monday night.

In a move which strengthened the growing links between NRL clubs and betting agencies, the Broncos announced they had extended their sponsorship with Sportingbet for a further three years, a deal believed to be worth $1.5 million.
The announcement comes with the game in the grip of a betting scandal as police investigate suspicious gambling activity surrounding last year's round 24 game between Canterbury and North Queensland.

It also shapes as another intriguing sub-plot in the battle for Brisbane, given the consortium bidding to enter the NRL in 2013 has strong ties to another internet betting agency, Centrebet.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White has declined to engage in a war of words with the rival consortium and was not about to start yesterday.

"We're conducting our business, we're not looking over our shoulder," White said.

The Brisbane consortium will host an official launch early next week when it is expected to make several announcements with a view to entering the premiership in 2013. The consortium has made no secret of its links to Centrebet. Nor has it kept secret its plans with regard to coaches and players, having been linked with Mal Meninga, Darren Lockyer and Craig Bellamy.

However, its future and that of the other bidding parties - Ipswich, Perth, Central Coast, Central Queensland and Papua New Guinea - will be in the hands of the independent commission when it takes over the running of the game in May.
While the Broncos continue to prosper, Cronulla's financial plight was laid bare by officials in a post on the club's website.

A vote of members on Monday night which will determine whether the club presses ahead with plans to develop land around its home ground of Toyota Park. But in the lead-up to the vote, officials warned the future could not be guaranteed if the proposal was not passed. Under the heading "development list of frequently asked questions", the club revealed it had $11.4m worth of debt against the club's property, which was valued at $8.3m.

In response to the question of what would happen should the resolutions not be approved, the club said: "The development agreement with the consortium will not be able to be entered into.

"The club is not in a position to advance the property development on its own financially. For many years our club has struggled for financial security due to the inability to secure a viable outcome for our land holdings."

Tellingly, it added: "This proposal provides that outcome and a vote against the proposal on Monday night would risk the long-term and also the short-term financial viability of the club as our lenders would question our commitment to putting in place the strategy and plans to repay our debt."

The Sharks have lived on the breadline for years, hoping their survival will be guaranteed by the development of land surrounding Toyota Park.

Meanwhile, club chairmen today will select their short list of potential commissioners after officials set a February 25 deadline on nominations for the inaugural independent commission.

News Limited chief operating officer Peter Macourt, Australian Rugby League chairman John Chalk, Queensland Rugby League director Terry Mackenroth and Souths chairman Nick Pappas agreed to the deadline yesterday.

The NRL continued to prepare for the commission yesterday by poaching former Eels chief executive Andrew Hill from the AFL.

It would be so convienient if the Sharks fell over sometime this year - either now, before the season, or part way through but allowed to play out the year. That way we could have our cake (Brisbane and Perth, proper expansion) and eat it too (redistribution of a licence to better represent the population/regions of the state).

BDGS

Bench
Yeah, the A-League is going great guns at the moment, not to mention it is a summer league, so it's not in direct competition with the NRL.

As for games. The NRL has been playing 5 games a year now for quite a while at the Central Coast. I see no reason why this won't continue if Central Coast doesn't make it.

You central coast supporters are funny, you make it out that the end of the world is coming if the Central Coast doesn't get admitted this time around, yet personally I don't believe you offer as much to the NRL as other regions would to the game, and more importantly, to the TV rights value.

Who said anything about A-league?

I said soccer, many different elements to soccer then just one pathetic Australian domestic competition.

Since when has the Central Coast been a town?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Who said anything about A-league?

I said soccer, many different elements to soccer then just one pathetic Australian domestic competition.

Oh so you believe that if the Bears don't get in, that soccer, which is probably already the number 1 sport in the area, will take even a further hold, even though the area is well serviced by NRL matches taking place there already. As I said previously, you act as if the sky is falling. Well here is some news for you, it isn't, and it won't, even if the Central Coast doesn't get it own team.

BDGS

Bench
It would be so convienient if the Sharks fell over sometime this year - either now, before the season, or part way through but allowed to play out the year. That way we could have our cake (Brisbane and Perth, proper expansion) and eat it too (redistribution of a licence to better represent the population/regions of the state).

Sad but true, would solve so many problems and the NRL would be able to put the Bears into the comp in 2012 and add WA and another QLD team in 2013.

beave

Coach
Poor Sharks, I really feel for their fans. This is not the sh*t you want to be hearing a few weeks out from kick off of the new season, though I know their future has always been clouded, they just don't need this at the moment.

If it meant survival of the name and colors, I wonder if their fans would accept relocation instead of annihilation??? I know people throw it around in here left right and centre, but if it meant the jersey/name/colours could continue on but move them to say Adelaide (wherever really, just using that as an example) and play the majority of their away games in Sydney so that the Sydney based fans have the opportunity to watch them every few weeks, is that an alternate that they could deal with??? I know it's a bitter scenario and definitely if they can avoid relocating then do it, but if it meant having no team at all or a relocated side, I know what I would rather of the 2 sh*tty scenarios.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Poor Sharks, I really feel for their fans. This is not the sh*t you want to be hearing a few weeks out from kick off of the new season, though I know their future has always been clouded, they just don't need this at the moment.

If it meant survival of the name and colors, I wonder if their fans would accept relocation instead of annihilation??? I know people throw it around in here left right and centre, but if it meant the jersey/name/colours could continue on but move them to say Adelaide (wherever really, just using that as an example) and play the majority of their away games in Sydney so that the Sydney based fans have the opportunity to watch them every few weeks, is that an alternate that they could deal with??? I know it's a bitter scenario and definitely if they can avoid relocating then do it, but if it meant having no team at all or a relocated side, I know what I would rather of the 2 sh*tty scenarios.

Unfortunately it take money to make that happen. It really would require a state govt like SA getting behind the club to bring them over and help them setup. It's the only way it can happen, and it seems very unlikely. Otherwise it's really just a license, and all bid teams that exist already would prefer to put there own branding on the team, and remove any reference to Cronulla, as it's not like they have been a successful team by any stretch of the imagination.

BDGS

Bench

I have put forward this exact case in a few different areas online.

Most people love the idea of relocating the Sharks to Adelaide, except 1) Sharks fans and 2) Sharks officials.

It seems they rather die then relocate.

jim_57

Staff member
I have put forward this exact case in a few different areas online.

Most people love the idea of relocating the Sharks to Adelaide, except 1) Sharks fans and 2) Sharks officials.

It seems they rather die then relocate.

I wouldn't like to lose the name, mascot and colours completely. Maybe if they do go under the best case scenario would be for them to take a few years out of the competition and put alot of work into relocating to Adelaide and bidding for an NRL license (Bears stlye).