What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

johns_reds

First Grade
Anyway, the NRL has no power to force clubs to relocate or fold. They can only use carrots like financial assistance, salary cap excemptions and so on, and stick like raising the cap across the comp, creating pressure on under-performing clubs.

Hasn't the NRL handed out licenses or franchises to these clubs? Surely they would have the power to revoke them, just like any franchise wether it be a jims mowing or a mcdonalds, there is always something the contract that would state if you don't meet the requirements we can take the license back?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Being on the inside of the talks between Canterbury and Western Suburbs, there was no way that was ever going to happen. Sure the talks started but that was about it.
:lol::lol::lol:
Please, tell us more. Or will the CIA put out a hit on you if you reveal too much?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Being on the inside of the talks between Canterbury and Western Suburbs, there was no way that was ever going to happen. Sure the talks started but that was about it.

Generally that was because the Bulldogs were really just going to take over Western Suburbs, something Wests were trying to avoid. Similar to what Parra was going to do to the Tigers, but the difference with that one was, that Dennis F wanted to dump the Eels moniker, and take the Tigers one.
In the end, I think it worked out for the best.

BDGS

Bench
:lol::lol::lol:
Please, tell us more. Or will the CIA put out a hit on you if you reveal too much?

You really are a dumbarse aren't you.

Wests didn't meet the NRL criteria, they needed to merge or get kicked out. The Bulldogs had a meeting with Wests and heard them out.

The dogs were in a strong financial position looking forward (well strong enough) to make it on their own, the meeting was more about seeing what the dogs can/could do to help keep a foundation team in the comp (bulldogs have helped other foundation clubs along the years as well, ask Souths during the missing years).

The dogs heard out the plan, at this time Wests had meeting with other clubs. Wests wanted the name 'wests' or 'western' among the name of the possible merger. This angered many of the dogs officials. Kind of like "they are in danger of being kicked out and they are demanding things, what right do they have to do that?" type of attitude.

There were other things some officials didn't agree on, The bulldogs side of things couldn't agree on what should be done with the merger let a lone agree with what wests had planned. Negotiations stopped after that.

Good thing too, because after that Wests found the perfect partner in Balmain and have since been the most successful NRL merger in history.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The dogs heard out the plan, at this time Wests had meeting with other clubs. Wests wanted the name 'wests' or 'western' among the name of the possible merger. This angered many of the dogs officials. Kind of like "they are in danger of being kicked out and they are demanding things, what right do they have to do that?" type of attitude.

There were other things some officials didn't agree on, The bulldogs side of things couldn't agree on what should be done with the merger let a lone agree with what wests had planned. Negotiations stopped after that.

So in other words, Canterbury didnt want to give up anything, just grab the $8 million for merging and go on being called the Canterbury Bulldogs...

BDGS

Bench
So in other words, Canterbury didnt want to give up anything, just grab the $8 million for merging and go on being called the Canterbury Bulldogs...

No, they were open to playing games at Campbelltown, open to changing the name to Canterbury magpies or Canterbury-Wests subs Magpies, open to wearing putting black on the jersey.

They just felt that the Magpies were in no position to say that they want their name first or its no deal which is pretty much what they wanted.

It was "Wests or western" somethings or nothing.

Another reason the dogs officials didn't like that was because there was a likelihood of ending up with a name similar to the AFL team.

BDGS

Bench
scum club...

Really?

The dogs were the the last team to accept/sign on Souths being kicked out and one of the first to sign/agree (that they deserved to be in, lucky the court case sorted it though) them back in.

Its like Cronulla in their current situation. If Cronulla had to merge to surivive and they started talks with the roosters, and then the Sharks said to the Roosters no matter how this merger goes down the name "Cronulla" must be the first name of the club i expect the Roosters (Which are the club not in danger of being kicked out) to say that the Sharks are in no position to demand things like that.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Generally that was because the Bulldogs were really just going to take over Western Suburbs, something Wests were trying to avoid. Similar to what Parra was going to do to the Tigers, but the difference with that one was, that Dennis F wanted to dump the Eels moniker, and take the Tigers one.

Yes, indeed.

adamkungl

Immortal
Really?

The dogs were the the last team to accept/sign on Souths being kicked out and one of the first to sign/agree (that they deserved to be in, lucky the court case sorted it though) them back in..

proves my point :sarcasm:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Agreed

bobmar28

Bench

Parramatta Tigers? Sounds ok. Could have had yellow and black with blue trim jersey.

Last edited:
Parramatta Tigers? Sounds ok. Could have had yellow and black with blue trim jersey.

From my understanding, Parramatta wanted to be called the Parramatta Tigers (Tigers is one of the best names available) but still wear blue and gold.

I knew someone on the Balmain board at the time that pointed out that there are no blue and gold tigers and the main colors should have been black and gold.

It was a takeover not a merger and all Parramatta wanted was the Tigers name. I for one are very glad it never happened.

mightybears

Bench
From my understanding, Parramatta wanted to be called the Parramatta Tigers (Tigers is one of the best names available) but still wear blue and gold.

I knew someone on the Balmain board at the time that pointed out that there are no blue and gold tigers and the main colors should have been black and gold.

It was a takeover not a merger and all Parramatta wanted was the Tigers name. I for one are very glad it never happened.

I'm sure they would have got some trim on the socks! Easts Brisbane Rugby Union are Blue and Gold for some reason [Easts Hockey, Eastern Suburbs Soccer and Easts League are all obviously Black n Gold/Yellow Tigers], but yes it would have been a takeover and not a merger a la the Northern Evils.

sorry off topic but were these all the possible merger combinations thrown around in the NRL between 1998 & 2000? I tried to find articles to verify it but most I only remembered off the top of the head.

parramatta & balmain = parramatta tigers
parramatta & north sydney = parramatta bears
north sydney & balmain = ??
western suburbs & canterbury = western bulldogs
western suburbs & balmain = wests tigers
south sydney & cronulla = south sydney sharks
north sydney & manly = northern eagles
south queensland & gold coast = south queensland chargers
gold coast & hunter = gold coast mariners
st.george & illawarra = st.george/illawarra dragons

Spitty

Juniors
Penrith and Parramatta was almost over the line. Eels had agreed to it and and Panthers management had agreed to it. They were to be called the Parramatta Panthers, blue and gold (no black) and split the games between Parra and Penrith. Panthers board initially had the numbers for the merge, but then some polital games were played, alliances were formed and some board members switched sides. It was eventually voted down. But was very close to a reality.

Basically around that time Fitzy desperately wanted to get rid of the "Eel". As long as he could keep the name Parramatta, keep the blue and gold and get half the games in Parramatta he was open to offers and had the numbers on the board to get his way.

BDGS

Bench
Penrith and Parramatta was almost over the line. Eels had agreed to it and and Panthers management had agreed to it. They were to be called the Parramatta Panthers, blue and gold (no black) and split the games between Parra and Penrith. Panthers board initially had the numbers for the merge, but then some polital games were played, alliances were formed and some board members switched sides. It was eventually voted down. But was very close to a reality.

Basically around that time Fitzy desperately wanted to get rid of the "Eel". As long as he could keep the name Parramatta, keep the blue and gold and get half the games in Parramatta he was open to offers and had the numbers on the board to get his way.

That would of made one massive club.

Latest posts