What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
I wouldn't like to lose the name, mascot and colours completely. Maybe if they do go under the best case scenario would be for them to take a few years out of the competition and put alot of work into relocating to Adelaide and bidding for an NRL license (Bears stlye).

I don't think anybody would like to see the "sharks" name and mascot and the colours of Black, white and blue leave the NRL.

They should relocate before they get kicked out or die and not have to pull a "bear move".

Unfortunate that the only team that attempted doing this was subsequently killed off because of it.

The connection to the mid & lower north shore, say south of Gordon would be more emotional I agree, based on multi-generational support. (eg my Dad took me to watch the Bears, so I'm a Bears fan for life, even though I live only 20 min from Manly territory). The advantage the Bears bid has is lower nth shore residents' nearest alternative, Manly, are mortal enemies - like asking a Carlton fan to become a Collingwood fan - won't happen, hasn't happened.

The beauty of the distance from Gosford for these people however, is as you say the proximity to away game venues, like Brookvale, SFS, ANZ, Kogarah, Parra stadium, Leichaardt. The Bears are working on a Sydney fan membership package which includes 1 game at Nth Sydney Oval plus these venues - the lower nth shore will grip this deal, while the Hornsby-Berowra region will be attracted to full membership of home and away, while Gosford residents will probably go for the Bluetongue only packages - everyones a winner!

Having lived on the north shore all my life , currently I live less than 500m from north Sydney oval, I went to school in north Sydney , grew up in turramurra & pymble and now I work in the hornsby area I can speak with a fair bit of authority here.

First and foremost rugby union is now clearly the number one sport in the area. But there is plenty of fans of other nrl clubs , manly despite being the mortal enemy have plenty. Your really thinking in terms of the mid nineties , not the present.

It's sad but in many ways the bears are a distant memory. Times have moved on.

I don't doubt that many fans of the central coast bears would come from the north shore , but to count it as bears territory is misleading at the least. The bears simply can't include the north shore in their numbers unless they play half their games here. I doubt they will play anything more than a trial.

This was in the Australian today:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...on-strong-future/story-e6frg7mf-1226007193614

It would be so convienient if the Sharks fell over sometime this year - either now, before the season, or part way through but allowed to play out the year. That way we could have our cake (Brisbane and Perth, proper expansion) and eat it too (redistribution of a licence to better represent the population/regions of the state).

It shouldnt need to be convenient.

I feel for the fans of any club under the pump, but the nrl should take the lead here.

If the sharks can't cut it they need to either relocate or go. The nrl should force it

adamkungl

Immortal
I have put forward this exact case in a few different areas online.

Most people love the idea of relocating the Sharks to Adelaide, except 1) Sharks fans and 2) Sharks officials.

It seems they rather die then relocate.

Or you know, survive.

It shouldnt need to be convenient.

I feel for the fans of any club under the pump, but the nrl should take the lead here.

If the sharks can't cut it they need to either relocate or go. The nrl should force it

Rubbish. The NRL should continue to raise the expected standard (ie salary cap). If clubs can't cut it, then so be it. But no one should be forced to do anything. What makes your club more important than the Sharks?

Rubbish. The NRL should continue to raise the expected standard (ie salary cap). If clubs can't cut it, then so be it. But no one should be forced to do anything. What makes your club more important than the Sharks?

I dont necessarily think the sharks should be punted.

Just that we cant wait around for them ( or any club) to fall over whilst being a drag on the rest of the comp.

If they are unsustainable they should be put down. Im not saying that they are , just that the decsion shouldn't rest with the sharks or any individual club.

Surely there has to be some sort of criteria to field a team in the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The three directors are expecting a huge turnout for the event
from who?

and why would sharks members vote against it? it is their only hope for survival

Perth Red

Post Whore
This ship is unsinkable!
Titanic%20BW.gif

applesauce

Bench
Mal would coach new Brisbane side
February 18, 2011

QUEENSLAND icon Mal Meninga would consider being foundation coach of a second Brisbane-based NRL team if the expansion bid rolled out publicly next week gets them across the line for 2013.

Meninga declared himself ready to return to the weekly madness of NRL coaching, something he hasn't done since 2001 with Canberra for whom he played 166 games between 1986 and 1994. The former Canberra, Queensland and Australian great plans to review his Queensland Origin coaching options at the end of this year's Origin series after setting a record of five straight series' wins last year which included the Maroons first 3-0 clean sweep since 1995.

''You never say no to anything but it's a fair way away at the moment,'' he said. ''I've put myself out there in the NRL marketplace and I'll see what offers come my way. So far the silence is deafening.'' The soon-to-formed commission is expected to rule on the bids by the middle of the year.

AAP

bobmar28

Bench
"Before these bids start trying to tear each other down, I believe that the IC should firstly commit that one of the two expansion places will be reserved for a new team from SEQ, and then go through a tender process in respect of which bid from SEQ offers the most for the game..."

Which will effectively kill off the Bears and any chance of the Central Coast ever getting a team.

A merger of Sydney teams would free up a franchise for CC.

bobmar28

Bench
I have put forward this exact case in a few different areas online.

Most people love the idea of relocating the Sharks to Adelaide, except 1) Sharks fans and 2) Sharks officials.

It seems they rather die then relocate.

Merge with Roosters = Eastern Suburbs Sharks.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Quick questions - why did clubs merge in the first place? I dont mean why as in because they had to so they could survive but why did they merge with who they did?

I hate merging and think clubs playing in a 2nd division would be better but if it was needed why didnt the NRL just go the whole hog and make:
North Sydney - CC, Norths and Manly-Warr
West Sydney - Penrith, Parra, Wests and Balmain
South Sydney - Illawarra, Cronulla, Souths
Sydney City - Doggies, dragons and roosters

would clear the way for 5 new teams elsewhere:sarcasm:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Quick questions - why did clubs merge in the first place? I dont mean why as in because they had to so they could survive but why did they merge with who they did?

I hate merging and think clubs playing in a 2nd division would be better but if it was needed why didnt the NRL just go the whole hog and make:
North Sydney - CC, Norths and Manly-Warr
West Sydney - Penrith, Parra, Wests and Balmain
South Sydney - Illawarra, Cronulla, Souths
Sydney City - Doggies, dragons and roosters

would clear the way for 5 new teams elsewhere:sarcasm:

Well it was looking like Bulldogs and Western Suburbs would merge, and Parramatta and Balmain, which would have freed up a franchise, but suddenly Western Suburbs merged with Balmain, and that changed everything. No mergers could be forced by the then ARL, and if I remember correctly, merging guaranteed that you would stay in the comp.

Goddo

Bench
Well, if the Sharks fold, we pretty much have the "South Sydney" franchise already in St George Illawarra.

If Manly relocate due to stadium issues/private owners and the Central Coast Bears are brought in we would have a "North Sydney" francise sorted too.

But for either to happen are big ifs and should be conditional on adding a side to the NSW mix of clubs; nothing should be done that hurts the current clubs.

Anyway, the NRL has no power to force clubs to relocate or fold. They can only use carrots like financial assistance, salary cap excemptions and so on, and stick like raising the cap across the comp, creating pressure on under-performing clubs.

Mal Meninga will make a great foundation coach for South Brisbane. Looks like sponsors will be anounced, plans for community engagement including a membership drive begun, maybe colours and name released on Monday.

This bid is the real deal.

Last edited:

smithie

Juniors
Well, if the Sharks fold, we pretty much have the "South Sydney" franchise already in St George Illawarra.

If Manly relocate due to stadium issues/private owners and the Central Coast Bears are brought in we would have a "North Sydney" francise sorted too.

But for either to happen are big ifs and should be conditional on adding a side to the NSW mix of clubs; nothing should be done that hurts the current clubs.

Anyway, the NRL has no power to force clubs to relocate or fold. They can only use carrots like financial assistance, salary cap excemptions and so on, and stick like raising the cap across the comp, creating pressure on under-performing clubs.

Mal Meninga will make a great foundation coach for South Brisbane. Looks like sponsors will be anounced, plans for community engagement including a membership drive begun, maybe colours and name released on Monday.

This bid is the real deal.

Colours have already been announced as maroon and blue. Name will be decided by the public. This is a Brisbane team, not South Brisbane. Mal Meninga would be the perfect foundation coach.

Version 6

Staff member
Having Mal on board would be a massive step in the right direction.

Mal + Maroon is a great way to engage all of the casual RL supporters in Brisbane who get passionate about three games every year.

BDGS

Bench
Mal would coach new Brisbane side
February 18, 2011

QUEENSLAND icon Mal Meninga would consider being foundation coach of a second Brisbane-based NRL team if the expansion bid rolled out publicly next week gets them across the line for 2013.

Meninga declared himself ready to return to the weekly madness of NRL coaching, something he hasn't done since 2001 with Canberra for whom he played 166 games between 1986 and 1994. The former Canberra, Queensland and Australian great plans to review his Queensland Origin coaching options at the end of this year's Origin series after setting a record of five straight series' wins last year which included the Maroons first 3-0 clean sweep since 1995.

''You never say no to anything but it's a fair way away at the moment,'' he said. ''I've put myself out there in the NRL marketplace and I'll see what offers come my way. So far the silence is deafening.'' The soon-to-formed commission is expected to rule on the bids by the middle of the year.

AAP

Reading that title, then reading the first two paragraphs. It gives a vastly different feel to it then reading the actual quote.

BDGS

Bench
Well it was looking like Bulldogs and Western Suburbs would merge, and Parramatta and Balmain, which would have freed up a franchise, but suddenly Western Suburbs merged with Balmain, and that changed everything. No mergers could be forced by the then ARL, and if I remember correctly, merging guaranteed that you would stay in the comp.

Being on the inside of the talks between Canterbury and Western Suburbs, there was no way that was ever going to happen. Sure the talks started but that was about it.