What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
I have to say I have never met a RL fan that has turned hi sback on the game and started supporting RU or AFL whilst completely ignoring RL. Has anyone else?

I would rather poke my eyes out than go to a RU game!

I know a few that turned their back because the games isn't played the same way as it was in the 80s and because the footy show are a bunch of "fruits on TV".

The teams those people supported still exists.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Home crowds are only half the story - away crowds are equally as important.

Re home crowds, based on Crusher crowds, IMO initially Brisbane2 could probably hope for 20-22K average, Bears prob 18K, Perth 14-15K. The Broncos could well lose 5K in support however, leavng a net Brisbane gain of maybe 17K.

Away crowds - Bears will draw 5-10K minimum at all NSW, Brisbane & Gold Coast games (ie most games). Can't see any games other than Brisbane2 v Broncos and v Titans getting more than 1K away support (maybe a bit more for Cowboys).

I stress all my opinion. No facts other than what the Bears are estimating for their own crowds home and away.

are you suggesting that the Bears will take 5-10k fans to away games in NSW and Q'land? That is a bit of a stetch, I've been to plenty of games in Sydney and most rarely have more than a couple of thousand away fans at them.

Thanks for showing you compete ignorance to the NSW sporting market. The Swans almost died in the 90s and only survived on pay outs by the AFL (or VFL whatever it was/is) and then legends like lockkett coming through.

These days they boost healthy crowds and are in no danger whatsoever.

How did that happen i wonder?

Do you want to just lose fans or bring them back.

You seem to not give a sh*t, you seem to only want an extra QLD team because of your own biased. Your lack of argument is painfully obvious to the majority of posters.

Also, what the f**k is this angrybear sh*t about?

At least this one gives himself an appropriate name.

The Central Coast Bears have the ability to reach out to a possible of 1.1 million people. As Beowulf said earlier read it properly, and i'll add to that read what is there and not what you want to be there.

re the name thank you western swing or as it is also known hillbillyjazz is one of my favourite forms of music (in case you missed it that is sarcasm, did you see what i did there)

and as for the second part you said 1.1 million people (or is it now 53.7 billion people) will turn their backs on rugby league, which would include supporters of current NRL teams if the bears do not get in, i reiterate, it is amazing you can talk and back peddle with both feet in your mouth

typical of some CC Bears bid supporters, try to bamboozle with bullsh*t and hope no one picks you up on it

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Beowulf

Juniors
are you suggesting that the Bears will take 5-10k fans to away games in NSW and Q'land? That is a bit of a stetch, I've been to plenty of games in Sydney and most rarely have more than a couple of thousand away fans at them.

Probably closer to the 10K for Sydney and Newcastle games, 5K for Brisbane and Titans games. Yep.

Think about it - old bears tragic fans in Sydney, even if they only make up 4 or 5K these days will go to the Sydney games, along with 4 or 5K of their new brothers from the Central Coast.

There are easily 2 or 3K Bears fans in SEQ plus travellers from NSW, so close to 5K is definitely realistic.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree PR, those figures are a massive stretch. No team in the game does that other then for local derbys and big clashes at bigger stadiums.

Beowulf

Juniors
I agree PR, those figures are a massive stretch. No team in the game does that other then for local derbys and big clashes at bigger stadiums.

I think you'll find given the history of the Bears situation, a lot of neutrals will tack on for interest sake, at least for the first season or two. Agree if the teams not performing, like any team, those numbers would decline.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
And again, this obsession with having the last say is a dangerous one.
What obsession dingleberry? You seem to be the one wanting to have the last say - and a poor one it was. And how is it dangerous to have an obsession to have the last say anyway?

I find it laughable that a supposed bulldog supporter spends so much of his time championing the bears and having a go at anyone with a differing view. And on a thread discussing a Brisbane bid at that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
well I look forward to a significant NRL crowd increase in 2013 if you guys get in, geez if you are boosting Sydney crowds by 10k and Q'land by 5k game then you should be in!!

What with your 18k avg = 216K
plus 100k away attendance in NSW
plus 10k+ in Q'land
that is quite a crowd rise we will see!

Smiley

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/easts-tigers-consider-nrl-bid/story-e6frep5x-1226007172958

Easts Tigers consider NRL bid

THE NRL expansion battle has taken an intriguing twist with one of Queensland's most famous rugby league clubs privately discussing plans to become Brisbane's second NRL team. The Courier-Mail can reveal the Easts Tigers are the latest organisation weighing up the prospect of joining Central Queensland, Ipswich, Perth, Papua New Guinea, Wellington, the NSW Central Coast and the Brisbane bid consortium in the race to win an NRL licence.

Easts chief executive Des Morris has flagged the issue with Tigers committee members. The plan is still in its infancy, but Morris says the club will look to conduct a feasibility study if the soon-to-be created independent commission gives the green light to two new NRL teams.

Founded in 1923 as Coorparoo, the Tigers are synonymous with Queensland rugby league, having won eight premierships, the last in 1991.

Some of the club's illustrious products include former Queensland hooker John Lang, now coach of Souths, and ex-Broncos star Darren Smith.

"As a long-standing club, we would like the opportunity that the NSW clubs have to play in the NRL," said Morris, also the Queensland Origin chairman of selectors.

"We believe that some of the more traditional Queensland clubs should be given an opportunity. There's been no real indication from the NRL as yet (on expansion) so we're not getting carried away.

"We'll just keep doing what we're doing, but if the NRL decides they want two more teams, we will look at a feasibility study.

"We've had a few discussions about it in committee meetings, but we're nowhere near as advanced as some of the other bids." The Tigers have the support of business tycoon David Kemp, who bailed out the Brisbane Bullets basketball side almost three years ago.

Kemp's company BDS Group, Australia's largest domestic shelving manufacturer, is a Tigers sponsor.

Aiding the Tigers' cause for an NRL licence is their existing infrastructure and a profitable leagues club at home ground Langlands Park.

The Tigers last considered entering the big league in 1997, when Sydney club Balmain, the Gold Coast and Easts discussed a three-way merger to be known as the East Coast Tigers.

But with the Wests Tigers now entrenched in the NRL, Easts' nickname could be one hurdle.

"It wouldn't be that simple for us. There's already a Tigers team in the NRL so we wouldn't be able to use that name," Morris said. "It's paramount that we retain our identity . . . so we need to consider that."

Spitty

Juniors
They're only just discussing the possibility of doing a feasiblity study into entering a bid. They'll have a lot of ground to make up if the feasibility study comes back positive.

adamkungl

Immortal
Bears 10k away support is pretty unrealistic to expect week in week out. Though I do expect them to be among the best away support in the game

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol at every QRL club wanting a piece of the action. Like the NRL are going to make the same mistake twice!

A feasibility study, geez only got a few years ground to catch up in the couple of months that will be available between announcement and submission!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
lol at every QRL club wanting a piece of the action. Like the NRL are going to make the same mistake twice!

A feasibility study, geez only got a few years ground to catch up in the couple of months that will be available between announcement and submission!

Only Ipswich and now Easts afaik? What do you mean same mistake twice?

re: few years ground to catch up. The stadium is there, corporate support is there, fanbase is there, juniors are there, etc. Brisbane/SEQ isn’t a frontier market remember.

bobmar28

Bench
Agree.

I would take the 'CC is not expansion' calls from people like bobmar slightly more seriously if they weren't calling for a team to be put in a city that already has a team.

As opposed to putting a team next to a city that already has 9 teams?

bobmar28

Bench
:lol:

Not laughing at the statement, on it's own, quite possible.

But to think it won't impact on the Broncos' averages if it were to average that highly is naive. Is it really worth weakening the support base of the Broncos just to say we've got another stake planted in the ground north of the border?

You really are clutching at straws now. Adding a 3rd SEQ team will hurt the Broncos but adding a tenth to the Sydney region won't hurt Sydney teams?

BuffaloRules

Coach
You really are clutching at straws now. Adding a 3rd SEQ team will hurt the Broncos but adding a tenth to the Sydney region won't hurt Sydney teams?

How will the Bears hurt the Sydney teams?

According to the CC cheersquad, there will be 10K Bears fans turning up to away games in Sydney...

Try and keep up... :lol:

Beowulf

Juniors
How will the Bears hurt the Sydney teams?

According to the CC cheersquad, there will be 10K Bears fans turning up to away games in Sydney...

Try and keep up... :lol:

As I said initially while the novelty is there, yes, the Bears will get close to 10K away crowds in Sydney. A combo of old Bears, new Coasties and intriguied nostalgic RL fans.

Thats one reason the NRL are looking at the Bears.

Note I also said the novelty factor would reduce in time and if they struggled, like any new team, that number would fall somewhat. I think 8 or 9K is achieveable for away games in Sydney for the first year or two - then success, popularity etc will determine where the average pans out.

Deliberate misrepersenting of postings seems to be a trait of the 'NSW have too many teams' adherents! These people fail to comprehend that, unlike Brisbane, the Central Coast and northern Sydney have zero teams.

Last edited:

Latest posts