What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Penrith and Parramatta was almost over the line. Eels had agreed to it and and Panthers management had agreed to it. They were to be called the Parramatta Panthers, blue and gold (no black) and split the games between Parra and Penrith. Panthers board initially had the numbers for the merge, but then some polital games were played, alliances were formed and some board members switched sides. It was eventually voted down. But was very close to a reality.

Basically around that time Fitzy desperately wanted to get rid of the "Eel". As long as he could keep the name Parramatta, keep the blue and gold and get half the games in Parramatta he was open to offers and had the numbers on the board to get his way.

And the day that the members of the Parra Leagues club would have decided to oust the board and then get rid of Fitzy, the members would have most likely wanted to get out of the merger and go it alone as the Eels once again.

If one team needs to merge and they merge with one that doesn't need to, its most likely that the team that doesn't need to merge will take over.

macavity

Referee
From my understanding, Parramatta wanted to be called the Parramatta Tigers (Tigers is one of the best names available) but still wear blue and gold.

I knew someone on the Balmain board at the time that pointed out that there are no blue and gold tigers and the main colors should have been black and gold.

It was a takeover not a merger and all Parramatta wanted was the Tigers name. I for one are very glad it never happened.

images

images

tigers.jpg

Probably the three most famous "Tiger" teams in the world.

Two in blue and orange ("gold"), and one in purple and yellow ("gold").

Smiley

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/let-me-be-you-mentor/story-e6frep5x-1226008728364

Polynesian ploy as Toutai Kefu joins Brisbane NRL bid team

THE Brisbane bid consortium has struck another blow in the expansion battle with the NRL hopefuls securing the services of former Wallabies star Toutai Kefu.

On the eve of the prospective franchise's official launch at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow, The Sunday Mail can reveal Kefu has agreed to join forces with the bid team by accepting a role mentoring Polynesian youth.

The position is formally subject to the bid team clinching an NRL licence, but Kefu's commitment underlines the ominous momentum being generated by the Brisbane consortium.

Kefu is steeped in rugby union tradition, playing 60 Tests for the Wallabies between 1997-2003, but is relishing the prospect of cultivating the next generation of Polynesian league talent.

"This gives me an opportunity to work in another sport and help out with Polynesian kids," Kefu said.

"Bill Rae (Brisbane bid delegate) is a friend of mine and he had been talking to me about the bid for a few months.

"I honestly didn't take him seriously at first, but then the whole thing started to gain a bit of momentum. I signed on as an ambassador thinking nothing of it, but the bid has kicked on and it sounds great. I'm hoping they get an NRL licence. I'd love to be a part of it.

"Basically, I'll be working with Polynesian kids in a mentoring and talent identification role.

"If you look at the NRL teams these days, almost 50 per cent of players are Polynesian. So with my background and the level I reached in my sport, I think I can offer some mentoring and advice to Polynesian kids."

Rae said the acquisition of Kefu was a major coup for the bid team, which will announce a raft of sponsorship deals at its launch tomorrow.

"Toutai is a Queensland and Wallabies' legend so this shows our bid has credibility," Rae said.

"We're rapt to have him on board as part of our vision. We're determined to see as many kids as possible playing rugby league in Brisbane and Toutai will have a big role in that."

The 36-year-old Kefu, who is currently coaching rugby on the Sunshine Coast, believes Polynesian athletes need to be better understood by top-level league and rugby coaches.

"Polynesian athletes do have to be handled differently to white players," he said.

"They relate to other Polynesian coaches or grown-ups. They can be hard to handle sometimes. Away from football, it's important to strike up relationships with them.

"Most of us are from lower-to-middle class backgrounds so we've treaded the same paths.

"I can use my experience along the way to guide Polynesian athletes and help them with life skills away from the field.

"If you take them out of their home environment, they can become homesick.

"And Polynesian people are creatures of habit, we are very close to our families.

"Sometimes with the financial success, they can lose their way with money."

Smiley

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-gathers-support/story-e6frerf6-1226008595863

THE Battle for Brisbane begins tomorrow when the consortium bidding for the city's second NRL team holds a media conference at Suncorp Stadium.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the real action kicks off over the road a few hours later.

That's when the movers and shakers behind the bid will be putting on a feed at Iceworks bar and restaurant.

Having whiled away many enjoyable hours at Iceworks, I know from personal experience that there are a lot worse ways to spend an afternoon. If bid chairman Craig Davison wants to win over the hearts and minds of the locals, it's a good place to start.

Let's face it, the NRL's new commissioners will decide if the second Brisbane team becomes a reality but the people of Brisbane will determine whether it succeeds.

When news of the bid broke a couple of weeks ago, the question I heard often was, "Who would support a team like that?"

My answer was, "I would". I reckon plenty of others would too.

Last weekend I was discussing the bid's chances with a man who had a lot to do with the now defunct South Queensland Crushers. According to him, it wasn't lack of spectator support that killed the Crushers. It was lack of ARL support.

The Crushers were a victim of bad timing. They attracted plenty of crowds and sponsorship in their first year, but the arrival of Super League sounded their death-knell.

When Super League was desperate to sign up a 10th team, it made an offer to the Crushers that was the largest it had made to any club. The Crushers board was split until chairman Dick "Tosser" Turner, a lifelong rugby league traditionalist, gave his vote to the ARL.

When the two competitions came together, the Crushers were a casualty. According to my man, if Tosser had voted for Super League and secured the backing of News Limited, the club would probably still be alive today.

Of course, that's all ancient history now but it does show that the support base for a second Brisbane club isn't pie in the sky. It was there in 1995, it will still be there today.

Back to that question: Who would support a second Brisbane team?

Well, people who don't like the Broncos for starters. There are still those who blame the Broncos for killing off the old Brisbane Rugby League. And for hatching Super League. And for the assassination of JFK for all I know. They just don't like them.

Then there are the ex-pats; dyed in the wool supporters of Sydney or other interstate clubs who will never be anything but Dragons, Rabbitohs or Roosters fans. Those clubs only come to town once a year so their supporters are looking for a second team to cheer on and take their kids to on a regular basis.

Then there are people like me. Those whose clubs don't exist any more. When Super League killed the North Sydney Bears, I was left without a club to cheer for, anguish over, fume about.

Living in Brisbane, I support the Broncos but it's not the same. It's hard to give yourself totally to a team which once spanked your side 44-6 at Lang Park (although we did beat them 15-14 in the '94 semis). See what I mean?

But a new club that has no history, that never shattered your dreams of seeing your team win at least one premiership before you shuffled off to the big Moreton Bay fig in the sky, now that's another story altogether.

Emotional claptrap? Well obviously, but there's plenty of solid reasons for a second team in Brisbane. There's Suncorp, the best league ground in the world, sitting idle for half the competition.

There's sponsors who are locked out of league because their competitors have tied up the Broncos. Kids who will go for a club because it's new or because they like the jersey. Like, whatever.

There's the fact that the Broncos are so good on and off the field that a second team here would have to be nothing short of sensational just to survive, raising the bar for the Broncos and everyone else, which could only be good for sports fans.

I reckon it just makes better sense than any alternative. As long as they keep holding media get-togethers at Iceworks, count me in.

meltiger

First Grade
images

images

tigers.jpg

Probably the three most famous "Tiger" teams in the world.

Two in blue and orange ("gold"), and one in purple and yellow ("gold").

So yanks are tards, what is your point?

The whole point of argument against the "Parramatta Tigers" was it was simply Fitzgerald trying to embark on a theft of our name. There was to be ZERO Balmain presence in that club.

The members quite rightly told Parramatta to jam it up their arses and chose a Joint Venture with Western Suburbs rather than being bent over by the scum out west.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I have to admit I wasn’t keen at all over the colours this bid has chosen but after looking at some designs they have really started to grow on me.

philadelphia-phillies-jerseys-majestic-philad1453.jpg

colorado_rapids_0910-3.jpg

bg3141256288026West%20Ham%20shirt%20-%20burgundy.jpg

1496fullimage.jpg

bobmar28

Bench
Penrith and Parramatta was almost over the line. Eels had agreed to it and and Panthers management had agreed to it. They were to be called the Parramatta Panthers, blue and gold (no black) and split the games between Parra and Penrith. Panthers board initially had the numbers for the merge, but then some polital games were played, alliances were formed and some board members switched sides. It was eventually voted down. But was very close to a reality.

Basically around that time Fitzy desperately wanted to get rid of the "Eel". As long as he could keep the name Parramatta, keep the blue and gold and get half the games in Parramatta he was open to offers and had the numbers on the board to get his way.

That would still be a viable option imo.

When Super League killed the North Sydney Bears, I was left without a club to cheer for, anguish over, fume about. Living in Brisbane, I support the Broncos but it's not the same. It's hard to give yourself totally to a team which once spanked your side 44-6 at Lang Park (although we did beat them 15-14 in the '94 semis). See what I mean?
What is the point of mentioning this? What relevance does it have to the bid or the media conference? It'll be a very interesting day tomorrow....

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/benji-threatened-to-quit-tigers-20110219-1b07u.html
BIDDING FOR BENNETT
WE'VE received strong mail that Wayne Bennett has all but agreed to coach the new Brisbane franchise should it get the nod to join the NRL. Bid boss Craig Davison has a strong relationship with Bennett through the Thoroughbreds but said: ''I've made a point of not talking to Wayne at all. When the NRL nominate us as the preferred tender along with Western Australia, we're going to go for the best coach available at the time. It doesn't take too much to understand who the best coach in the country is.'' The bid will announce four sponsors tomorrow.

Someone sounds confident...

What is the point of mentioning this? What relevance does it have to the bid or the media conference? It'll be a very interesting day tomorrow....

it tends to shoot down your theory, that the old bears supporters walked away from the game :lol::lol::lol:

bamboozle with bullsh*t and hope they swallow it

I dunno, this was only 3 weeks ago
http://video.news.com.au/1770894209/Bennett-wont-coach-second-Brisbane-team

http://traralgon.iprime.com.au/index.php/sport/league/bennett-wont-coach-second-brisbane-team
it tends to shoot down your theory, that the old bears supporters walked away from the game :lol::lol::lol:

bamboozle with bullsh*t and hope they swallow it

Why would a sports journo walk away from the game? Coleman has been a Bears diehard from way back.

Talons

Juniors
I'm happy to see a SEQ bid do well (for the growth of the game) but I'm not sure the Brisbane 2 bid will get past news desire to maintain their monopoly of a one city team.

flippikat

Bench
I'm happy to see a SEQ bid do well (for the growth of the game) but I'm not sure the Brisbane 2 bid will get past news desire to maintain their monopoly of a one city team.

THIS is one reason why the Commission is important - The game's interest is served by having at least one more team in Brisbane (or at least somewhere in SEQ).

it may well be the case that the game is best served by having more than 2 Brisbane teams - especially if you consider regional franchises, such as a North Brisbane/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast team which would operate similarly to St George-Illawarra.

as a side-note.. I think city-fringe/ regional teams like the Dragons, and The Bears (linking North Sydney and the Central Coast) are a good template for other Sydney teams to follow.. And it's also what expansion teams in SEQ should aim to achieve.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
sorry off topic but were these all the possible merger combinations thrown around in the NRL between 1998 & 2000? I tried to find articles to verify it but most I only remembered off the top of the head.

parramatta & balmain = parramatta tigers
parramatta & north sydney = parramatta bears
north sydney & balmain = ??
western suburbs & canterbury = western bulldogs
western suburbs & balmain = wests tigers
south sydney & cronulla = south sydney sharks
north sydney & manly = northern eagles
south queensland & gold coast = south queensland chargers
gold coast & hunter = gold coast mariners
st.george & illawarra = st.george/illawarra dragons

The great advantage that we have in Brisbane is that it's pretty much a clean slate for the NRL.

From here, we can decide what areas of Brisbane get representation, who represents them, what logos & colours will be used - the only constraint is that we have the Broncos representing the centre of the city.

Sydney, on the other hand, has been a mess.. Teams cut from the comp, failed relocations, mergers of suburban teams that aren't even neighbouring each other.

if we had any more mergers, the only one that would make geographical sense would be Penrith & Parramatta.. But even then we'd still have another team calling itself 'Wests' even though the Parramatta Panthers would be further west than the Tigers.

Brisbane is a great opportunity to get a large RL centre represented well in the NRL, in a way that makes sense - with clubs on the edge of the city that reach out to surrounding townships.. That's my hope.

And who knows? if Brisbane show the way, it may encourage a rationalisation of Sydneyclubs that's just that - rational.

Colman's a professional sports journo, hillbilly-as you well know-with the evil empire to boot. :sarcasm:

fair enough, i understand that, bcause that is his job he has to still report on league.....but let me rephrase, he chose to support another team, he did not walk away from supporting any team because his bears had gone, which shoots down the theory that all bears supporters would be lost to the game

fair enough, i understand that, bcause that is his job he has to still report on league.....but let me rephrase, he chose to support another team, he did not walk away from supporting any team because his bears had gone, which shoots down the theory that all bears supporters would be lost to the game

If you read it properly, you'd understand that he now supports another team but it just isn't the same. You're also a fool if you take majority and apply it to every single person (like there isn't bound to be a few with opposite feelings?). Grow up.

The great advantage that we have in Brisbane is that it's pretty much a clean slate for the NRL.

From here, we can decide what areas of Brisbane get representation, who represents them, what logos & colours will be used - the only constraint is that we have the Broncos representing the centre of the city.

Sydney, on the other hand, has been a mess.. Teams cut from the comp, failed relocations, mergers of suburban teams that aren't even neighbouring each other.

if we had any more mergers, the only one that would make geographical sense would be Penrith & Parramatta.. But even then we'd still have another team calling itself 'Wests' even though the Parramatta Panthers would be further west than the Tigers.

Brisbane is a great opportunity to get a large RL centre represented well in the NRL, in a way that makes sense - with clubs on the edge of the city that reach out to surrounding townships.. That's my hope.

And who knows? if Brisbane show the way, it may encourage a rationalisation of Sydneyclubs that's just that - rational.

True but there's been a fair share of South Queensland clubs which didn't perform and had to close their doors. Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators and Crushers.. Chargers had some success. So I don't believe it's a clean slate at all. If any area is a clean slate it's Central Coast, Central QLD and Ipswich because theyve never had a full time team established in those areas (Reds in Perth, Crushers in Brisbane/South QLD, were by definition.. failures). Although the Northern Eagles did play @ Gosford, we all know they were just Manly looking for a quick buck before they went at it alone (as evident by alot of N.E home games being at Brookvale).

I think thats also a key factor in the community support. There's no rehashes so alot of the locals have happily jumped on board and support the Bears bid.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
(re: Brisbane & SEQ being a "clean slate" compared to Sydney)

True but there's been a fair share of South Queensland clubs which didn't perform and had to close their doors. Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators and Crushers.. Chargers had some success. So I don't believe it's a clean slate at all. If any area is a clean slate it's Central Coast, Central QLD and Ipswich because theyve never had a full time team established in those areas (Reds in Perth, Crushers in Brisbane/South QLD, were by definition.. failures). Although the Northern Eagles did play @ Gosford, we all know they were just Manly looking for a quick buck before they went at it alone (as evident by alot of N.E home games being at Brookvale).

I think thats also a key factor in the community support. There's no rehashes so alot of the locals have happily jumped on board and support the Bears bid.

I think you missed my point - When I said "clean slate", I meant it more in terms of how we divide the greater metropolitan area of Brisbane & South East Queensland.

Sydney's suburbs & surrounds are represented by a tangled mess of clubs.

This stems from a suburban competition that's been hit by the financial reality of becoming a national competition, with no oversight from the league as to how this saturated market can be rationalised logically.

Greater Brisbane/SEQ is an area that can support a number of teams - and we have a unique opportunity to plan for this going forward - taking into account future growth in the area.

Latest posts