What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ummm, you do realise that I didn't ask for a source until AFTER he made the claim?
Ummm, yes, what relevance does that have? My point is, it's absolutely ludicrous to expect a supporter to ask to have crucial bid document information revealed. He seems to me to be pretty switched on and not the type of person who would simply make the statistic up.

And, of course it is an important distinction.
If they were a playing team selling ticketed and non-ticketed memberships, I'd agree with you. The memberships, irrespective of the dollar paid for them, are a sign of active interest. The club, two years out from being in the league should they gain admission, has directly dealt with almost 6,000 people who have all agreed to part with some amount of their hard-earned money (in a time where the cost of living isn't exactly that low, mind you). If that's $1 or $100 per person, they're doing something right. I'd go so far as to say the Bears are more active in their local community than some current NRL teams.

If the majority of memberships being sold are $80 per unit, it stands to reason that the CCBears can rely on that and make representations that their membership number is commensurate to their eventual ticketed membership number.
I don't think that's true at all. On their current limited budget and resources, they're keeping this drive at the grassroots level. Once they're a fully-fledged NRL club with the $$$ behind them from Ken Sayer, etc etc, it's a safe bet to assume they have a comprehensive marketing plan to kick into gear and gain widespread support and membership, both ticketed and non-ticketed, that would likely far surpass the current level of membership.

I could be wrong, but the "feeling on the ground" on the Coast is what I'm basing my analysis on, and I reckon I'm not too far off being right.

If the majority of memberships being sold are $20 per unit, its akin to a 11 year old girl gathering sponsorship for her school walkathon.
And if she gets 6,000 people to sponsor her at just $20 each, she's raised $120,000.

As you can see, not a very good comparison.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ummm, you do realise that I didn't ask for a source until AFTER he made the claim?

And, of course it is an important distinction.

If the majority of memberships being sold are $80 per unit, it stands to reason that the CCBears can rely on that and make representations that their membership number is commensurate to their eventual ticketed membership number.

If the majority of memberships being sold are $20 per unit, its akin to a 11 year old girl gathering sponsorship for her school walkathon.

Don't be too offended if they skip over you and just prove it to the NRL...

applesauce

Bench
Our focus is to expand the game into the north and western regions of the South-East corner of Queensland with a strategic direction to impact the community and provide additional resources for junior development and community support. Partnerships with the local and state governments, along with the NRL will extend the reach of grass roots rugby league and have a positive impact in the immediate

The Broncos have been the sole Brisbane team for a number of years, and by basing a second team south of the river, we believe we will create a natural rivalry between North and South to emulate such classic local derbies that are seen in AFL clubs in Melbourne, soccer clubs in Manchester and NFL clubs in New York.

http://bnenrlbid.com.au/

HUH?

Last edited:

Version 6

Staff member
Ummm, yes, what relevance does that have? My point is, it's absolutely ludicrous to expect a supporter to ask to have crucial bid document information revealed. He seems to me to be pretty switched on and not the type of person who would simply make the statistic up.

No, it's ludicrous to make a claim about something quantifiable in the absence of any support.

If they were a playing team selling ticketed and non-ticketed memberships, I'd agree with you. The memberships, irrespective of the dollar paid for them, are a sign of active interest. The club, two years out from being in the league should they gain admission, has directly dealt with almost 6,000 people who have all agreed to part with some amount of their hard-earned money (in a time where the cost of living isn't exactly that low, mind you). If that's $1 or $100 per person, they're doing something right. I'd go so far as to say the Bears are more active in their local community than some current NRL teams.

I agree. I'm not arguing that there isn't some merit to what they are doing. I've simply made the point that there is a massive difference in terms of what we can say about the membership base is mostly paying $80 as opposed to $20.

The rest of the points are an argument you are having with yourself.

I don't think that's true at all. On their current limited budget and resources, they're keeping this drive at the grassroots level. Once they're a fully-fledged NRL club with the $$$ behind them from Ken Sayer, etc etc, it's a safe bet to assume they have a comprehensive marketing plan to kick into gear and gain widespread support and membership, both ticketed and non-ticketed, that would likely far surpass the current level of membership.

I could be wrong, but the "feeling on the ground" on the Coast is what I'm basing my analysis on, and I reckon I'm not too far off being right.

And if she gets 6,000 people to sponsor her at just $20 each, she's raised $120,000.

As you can see, not a very good comparison.

I don't think we are entitled to draw that inference at all, until we know the current membership statistics.

In short (and to paraphrase the ONLY point I am trying to make here), 6,000 at $80 is a much more reliable base than 6,000 at $20.

If the majority of memberships sold are truly at the $80 level, I will be truly impressed.

The point is, Brisbane and surrounds has a far greater population and a second club has a far greater financial potential, crowd potential, player potential, media profile potential and TV ratings potential than the CC, even if it wants to try and suggest that North Sydney is somehow part of its territory.

The Brisbane market is the third biggest in Australia and the second biggest RL area. Currently it shares the elite pro sport market with three other football codes and based purely on club numbers only holds 1/4 of the market. That needs to increase. We need a bigger market share in such a big market, especially one that is so important to RL.

_Johnsy

Referee
A 2nd brisbane side is a no brainer. Ipswich was never, ever going to be a viable option. The amount of vocal support that has disappeared from the Ipswich bid is laughable.

CC is also a no brainer, as is Perth. The one thing that is great is that we as a game have 3 excellent bids, of which all could be included.

What a position the NRL is in, shame no other code in this country is in a similar position. Loving the hype surrounding the next round of inclusion, will bring nothing but positive PR.

Last edited:

Version 6

Staff member
Agreed.

Central Coast, with an exceptionally well organised and supported bid are (arguably) the third best expansion option.

I think that's a credit to the game, frankly.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No, it's ludicrous to make a claim about something quantifiable in the absence of any support.
So you believe that allows you to simply write off the persons claim? While I'm not sure it even matters what you think, the bottom line is that I and many others I'm sure will be more likely to believe him - someone who is clearly involved with the bid, than someone like yourself simply dismissing his claims because he doesn't have the ability to provide iron-clad proof.

If you are seeking such proof, why not write to the Bears yourself and ask the question?

The Brisbane market is the third biggest in Australia and the second biggest RL area. Currently it shares the elite pro sport market with three other football codes and based purely on club numbers only holds 1/4 of the market. That needs to increase. We need a bigger market share in such a big market, especially one that is so important to RL.

Club numbers maybe, but in terms of financial position, crowd and corporate support, the Broncos are streets ahead of the rest. An obvious example of comparison to one of the other football codes - the Brisbane Roar are table-topping, have won 26 straight matches, and they're struggling to crack 20,000 at the same stadium where the Broncos average up to 35k per game.

Version 6

Staff member
So you believe that allows you to simply write off the persons claim? While I'm not sure it even matters what you think, the bottom line is that I and many others I'm sure will be more likely to believe him - someone who is clearly involved with the bid, than someone like yourself simply dismissing his claims because he doesn't have the ability to provide iron-clad proof.

I haven't done that. I asked him if he had support for the proposition. That is all. Again, the rest you have (for some reason) made up.

Further, believe me about what exactly. I haven't said they are or aren't true. I just asked that the basis for the claim be, at the very least, explained.

I'm not sure why you are seemingly so personally offended about this. If in the course of a discussion someone presents some information as a fact, and that fact is relevant to proving a point in issue, it is normal to seek clarification about the reliability of that information.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like the Build our Team part of the website.

Interesting times ahead! I still feel that ultimately it will be what the TV companies want and are willing to pay the most for that will determine who gets in. Our game has been run at the whim of TV for decades and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

johns_reds

First Grade
Like the Build our Team part of the website.

Interesting times ahead! I still feel that ultimately it will be what the TV companies want and are willing to pay the most for that will determine who gets in. Our game has been run at the whim of TV for decades and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Haha yeah they could have at least put a "coming soon" or something, i read under one of the other tabs somewhere that the Build our team will be ready soon, that's where fans will vote on name/mascot etc.

to quote the website:

What will it be called?
Our aim is for this team to be a team of the people, and as such we plan to allow the local public the opportunity to both name the team, but also design the kits. This will be available in our interactive section called 'Build Our Team'. The public can name and design the team and submit those designs and names to us for contemplation. We will eventually pick and winner and the person whose name and design is chosen will win a very special prize from the new team.

blukablu

Juniors
Haha yeah they could have at least put a "coming soon" or something, i read under one of the other tabs somewhere that the Build our team will be ready soon, that's where fans will vote on name/mascot etc.

to quote the website:

What will it be called?
Our aim is for this team to be a team of the people, and as such we plan to allow the local public the opportunity to both name the team, but also design the kits. This will be available in our interactive section called 'Build Our Team'. The public can name and design the team and submit those designs and names to us for contemplation. We will eventually pick and winner and the person whose name and design is chosen will win a very special prize from the new team.

The 'Build Our Team' area only works on IE. :?

applesauce

Bench
[/I]

It works but only on Safari (for me). It doesn't work for Mozilla, Chrome or IE yet.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

to quote the website:

What will it be called?

I had no problem using it this morning?

edit: Ahh. I used Safari.

Latest posts