What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
''I've made a point of not talking to Wayne at all. When the NRL nominate us as the preferred tender along with Western Australia, we're going to go for the best coach available at the time. It doesn't take too much to understand who the best coach in the country is.''

Now i just hope they lose because of these five words of arrogance.

BDGS

Bench
I have to admit I wasn’t keen at all over the colours this bid has chosen but after looking at some designs they have really started to grow on me.

philadelphia-phillies-jerseys-majestic-philad1453.jpg

colorado_rapids_0910-3.jpg

bg3141256288026West%20Ham%20shirt%20-%20burgundy.jpg

1496fullimage.jpg

Hideous

THIS is one reason why the Commission is important - The game's interest is served by having at least one more team in Brisbane (or at least somewhere in SEQ).

it may well be the case that the game is best served by having more than 2 Brisbane teams - especially if you consider regional franchises, such as a North Brisbane/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast team which would operate similarly to St George-Illawarra.

as a side-note.. I think city-fringe/ regional teams like the Dragons, and The Bears (linking North Sydney and the Central Coast) are a good template for other Sydney teams to follow.. And it's also what expansion teams in SEQ should aim to achieve.

Fair comments but News are famous for making 'conditions' when major changes are made to Rugby League in Australia. The last was that there MUST be a team in Melbourne for the two national competitions to merge into one.

I'm certain that news will push to make another condition that goes along the line of Broncos maintain a monopoly in Brisbane for at least 5 years. Only this time we won't hear about this in the media and the NRL will cover it up by saying "at present the Brisbane2 bid would take too much away from the Broncos" (something the NRL have already mentioned as a negative of the Brisbane2 bid) or something similar to that.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Hideous

Fair comments but News are famous for making 'conditions' when major changes are made to Rugby League in Australia. The last was that there MUST be a team in Melbourne for the two national competitions to merge into one.

I'm certain that news will push to make another condition that goes along the line of Broncos maintain a monopoly in Brisbane for at least 5 years. Only this time we won't hear about this in the media and the NRL will cover it up by saying "at present the Brisbane2 bid would take too much away from the Broncos" (something the NRL have already mentioned as a negative of the Brisbane2 bid) or something similar to that.

Do you really think the media wouldn't poke around if the NRL said that? And being the NRL, there are plenty of loose lips, so it would get out.

The IC when formed will be in a position where they can really extend the game, and I am sure they will use business sense to ensure that any extra teams add significant value to the game.

BDGS

Bench
Do you really think the media wouldn't poke around if the NRL said that? And being the NRL, there are plenty of loose lips, so it would get out.

Things have happened within the NRL and withing the NRL clubs that has never made the papers or any other form of media. Things way bigger then the possibility i mentioned before, being a Bulldogs fan i would of thought you known that.

The IC when formed will be in a position where they can really extend the game, and I am sure they will use business sense to ensure that any extra teams add significant value to the game.

Let's hope so and lets hope they don't let biased opinions become decisions.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hold on, the main reason so many people on here hate the Bears, their "Arrogance", and the Brisbane2 bid chairman is saying "when"? :lol:

I think you missed my point - When I said "clean slate", I meant it more in terms of how we divide the greater metropolitan area of Brisbane & South East Queensland.

Sydney's suburbs & surrounds are represented by a tangled mess of clubs.

This stems from a suburban competition that's been hit by the financial reality of becoming a national competition, with no oversight from the league as to how this saturated market can be rationalised logically.

Greater Brisbane/SEQ is an area that can support a number of teams - and we have a unique opportunity to plan for this going forward - taking into account future growth in the area.

Sorry I did miss your point. As the population grows the game does have the opportunity to strategically plan for the future. Brisbane can potentially one day host 3 or so teams. But stability, hard work and ground support is needed before it happens. Ipswich deserve a team in the next 20 years. Moreton Bay (redcliffe) also deserves a team one day.

BDGS

Bench
D-day tomorrow.

I wonder how many people will let emotion override their thought process.

What will also be interesting to see is the amount of dollars they have for sponsorship. Rumours saying $10 million, that is a few million short of the other heartland bid.

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
D-day tomorrow.

What will also be interesting to see is the amount of dollars they have for sponsorship. Rumours saying $10 million, that is a few million short of the other heartland bid.

The Bears have $10 million a year in sponsors? The only $10 million I've seen from the Bears is from Mortgage House and that's $1 million per year over 10 years.

The Bears have $10 million a year in sponsors? The only $10 million I've seen from the Bears is from Mortgage House and that's $1 million per year over 10 years.

You got it all wrong. CCBears have mortage house $1.2m for 3 years as the main bid sponsor. $10m from one private source, undisclosed amount from Norths Leagues, then they have membership revenue. There is also Sinalli, Fortunity and JJLawson as the other major sponsors contributing 6 figure amount per year individually. Then there's the local CC business foundation sponsors and partners. Finally the community shares and foundation members.

Then just like the Brisbane2 bid, we have the sponsors who will invest once the bid is successful. However unlike Brisbane2, the CCBears have a state of the art sports excellence center approved for construction once bid is successful (though through a potential partnership with the mariners it might be built regardless). That in itself will be a great revenue stream but also the entire community will benefit from it away from just having a football team.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench

pleease JJLawson has always been there with money on top of all the recent CCBears money-you have probably 'passed another hard working bear'!

BDGS

Bench

I actually said they have over $10 million. Hence the "short of" part.

RBB answered your question nicely though.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
D-day tomorrow.

A rumoured $10 million in less than a month and before any actual announcement of bid specifics.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I thought they have been working on this since November?
I'm going by the date that the rumours of a brisbane bid became public which was in late January. But $10 million in 4 months is nothing to be sneezed at either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am guessing he is very confdent of getting a team. Doubt he would have resigned his powerful and privallaged position wth the Broncos if he didn't think they had a very good shot at a team.

BDGS

Bench
I am guessing he is very confdent of getting a team. Doubt he would have resigned his powerful and privallaged position wth the Broncos if he didn't think they had a very good shot at a team.

Yes, his comments are very arrogant sounding.

Because of his recent comments i hope he misses out.

Love seen cocky F*ckers like him not get what they want. Mainly because usually the reason they are so cocky is because they get everything they want.

Oh and also when he said there was still a chance that a betting organisation could part own the team after the NRL said no way.

Stuff like that pisses me off.

Brisbane NRL bid team to unveil sponsorships

942520-brisbane-bid.jpg

Brisbane NRL bid consortium logo. Source: The Courier-Mail

THE "Battle for Brisbane" will be declared today when the potential cross-town rival to glamour club Brisbane Broncos is launched with four big sponsorships.

The Brisbane expansion bid, gunning for NRL entry as early as 2013, will hold a press conference at Suncorp Stadium to launch a cutting-edge website and unveil its first four official sponsors.
The bid team will announce four key deals with Bundaberg Rum, kitwear giant Canterbury, media outlet Austereo and gaming agency Centrebet.
The Courier-Mail can also reveal the bid team will unveil www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au a website enabling fans to offer suggestions and vote for the team's name and colours over the next six months.
Another six major sponsorship deals including a car maker, brewer, electrical giant and an insurance company are also being negotiated.
"We never envisaged we could generate this momentum. These sponsorships will show we are a serious player in the expansion race," said Brisbane bid spokesman Craig Davison.
In a series of other developments:
• The bid team has spoken to at least two investors expressing interest in bankrolling a second Brisbane NRL side;
• Despite not having an NRL licence, Brisbane companies have contacted the consortium seeking corporate boxes at Suncorp;
• Davison welcomed speculation master coach Wayne Bennett was set to shun interest from Souths and return to coach in Queensland.
The arrangement with Centrebet stands to become the most lucrative gaming contract in NRL history. It would eclipse the Broncos deal with Sportingbet, which was revealed just last week and is worth an estimated $1.8 million over three years.
Underlining the corporate appeal in a second Brisbane NRL team, the consortium is also finalising negotiations with another three leading companies, including an insurance rival to the Broncos major sponsor NRMA.
Should the consortium win an NRL licence, Bundaberg will move to sponsor a "Battle of Brisbane" trophy for Queensland derbies between the Broncos and the prospective franchise.
The three-man bid team is targeting a sponsorship war chest in excess of $10 million and Davison said the torrent of corporate support would make it difficult for the NRL to resist adding a second Brisbane team in 2013.
"We've been surprised by the intensity of the sponsors chasing us. It's flattering, we're already taking calls from businesses about corporate boxes and we don't even have a team yet," Davison said.
"The deals are taking into consideration that there is a three-stage process. The first stage is before the tenders are called, the second is when the tenders are called and the third stage is if we're told we're in the NRL and ready to go.
"We're really excited, we've got some people coming to us in regards to investment, we have serious backers out there wanting to be a part of this.
"We will have no problems filling our financial criteria. If we get into the NRL, we will have one of the biggest sponsorship bases in the competition."
It is understood Centrebet are prepared to extend their association to a five-or-six year deal worth between $3m to $5m, although they will not be the major sponsor.
Davison said reports Bennett is unlikely to join the Rabbitohs next season was positive news for the Brisbane bid team.
"The rumour is Wayne won't be going to Souths and could be on track to coach in Brisbane," he said.
"That's great. My stance all along is that we want the best CEO, best coach and best players if we clinch an NRL licence."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eil-sponsorships/story-e6frep5o-1226008951870

Would be sponsors are Bundaberg Rum, Centerbet Betting Agency and Austereo. Canterbury as there would be kit manufacturer. Rumors that they're looking to steal one of the Broncos main sponsors... (and people said this bid wouldn't affect the Broncos/Titans foothold..)