What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Quidgybo

Bench
Broncos should tell them to f*ck off and block their planned use of Suncorp!
While I hesitate to stick my head up at this enlightened point of the thread, just in case anyone is not aware, access to Suncorp is not within the Broncos' power to dictate. As a facility owned by the Queensland government, the venue will quiet rightly be hired out to anyone willing to pay the standard fee. The Broncos might have a preferential deal allowing them first choice of dates, but outside of those days it's none of their business who uses the venue.

Leigh

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
If you prefer a Japanese cartoon bulldogs head with two ticks above history and a combination of past Bulldogs logos. That's fair enough, obviously Canterbury Bankstown members don't agree.

This is interesting, we now have this new moron troll that acts like he is 13 and bobmar.

Very interesting.

Nah, he's an old hand and far more entertaining than you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is the capacity of the Perth stadium and what is projected after redevelopment. To give it 3 ticks after redevelopment, making it on par with Suncorp and well ahead of Blue Tongue is interesting.

Sorry I meant that at the moment I would give it one tick but two ticks conditional on the redevelopment.

Current capacity is around 21k
$82mill allocated for one major new stand due for completion 2013 taking capacity to 25k
Govt Plan for a further $260mill to be allocated to replace other parts of the ground taking the capacity to just under 30k

Goddo

Bench
Yeah I think the standard for future stadiums should be a rating similar to what Red is saying:

1 star: greater than 20k
2 star: greater than 25k plus some standards wrt public transport and parking
3 star: greater than 30k with good standard of public transport

All clubs should be aiming for 2 or 3. 1 is sufficient for now, but not in the ongoing.

clarency

Juniors
I agree as well. The problem I see here is that there are clubs currently in the NRL that are dwindling with low funds and 1-star facilities.

This begs the question that, if we have new bids that are more viable than currently existing clubs, should they come in as replacements rather than additions?

Perth Red

Post Whore
We don't have a license system that rates clubs by a set criteria so it will never happen. SL is trying to do this with time ltd licenses and measurements to judge clubs against each other in order to shed the weak links.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really? For $342mil... I sure hope it will look as good aami park...

yeh and they've already spent close to $40mill on it! Would have been a lot cheaper to buld a new stadium at Burswood! I guess this waythe Govt can stage expenditure on it.

Yeah I think the standard for future stadiums should be a rating similar to what Red is saying:

1 star: greater than 20k
2 star: greater than 25k plus some standards wrt public transport and parking
3 star: greater than 30k with good standard of public transport

All clubs should be aiming for 2 or 3. 1 is sufficient for now, but not in the ongoing.
Size isn't everything, as they say. I'd rather have a 20k stadium that is top quality than a 30k stadium that is old and fails to meet the needs of the fans and players. There's also not much point having a big stadium if you can't even go close to filling it. Ideally clubs would all be averaging more than 15k and even more than 20k but not many do.

In fact even quality isn't everything. I'd rather see 18,000 at a game at Leichhardt on a Sunday arvo than 18k at the SFS for example. So it's not that simple.

clarency

Juniors
As much as you prefer an urban field like Gould, there's nothing more annoying than the pushing and shoving on the hill as people scream at each other because they don't have a view of the game. It really destroys the atmosphere.

Stadiums were invented for a reason.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
As much as you prefer an urban field like Gould, there's nothing more annoying than the pushing and shoving on the hill as people scream at each other because they don't have a view of the game. It really destroys the atmosphere.

The laughable thing about Gould is that he can say this from the luxury of the commentary and private boxes. Before that the coaches box and players dressing room.

Goddo

Bench
Using Reds rating system, assessing all bids and some not even bidding, I'd say its closer to:

Stadium - 1 for 20k, 2 for 25k and 3 for 30k. Needs to be close to target market though.

Brisbane üüü (Suncorp Stadium)
Wellington/Christchurch üüü (assuming Westpac/AMI stadium)
Perth üü (extra tick conditional on redvelopment)
Central Coast ü (difficult to upgrade ends, capacity a little low)
Ipswich ü (plan to play out of Suncorp then get own stadium is ok but not good)
Central Queensland 0 (no existing stadium only plans)
PNG 0
Adelaide 0 (Hindmarsh Stadium is aweful)

Finances - 1 if achieved +$2m in sponsorship and minimum business model criteria, 2 for +$4m in sponsorship, 3 if +$7m in sponsorship and NRL ready - some sort of financial impact statement on current NRL clubs should be concidered too.

Central Coast üüü (could lose a mark for impact on existing clubs)
Brisbane üü (Potential impact on Broncos mitigated by options for rival companies to those that support Broncos, eg Sportsbet vs Sportingbet)
Central Queensland üü
Perth ü
Ipswich ü
PNG ü
Wellington/Christchurch 0 (assuming the worst)
Adelaide 0 (Non-existant)

Fanbase - 1 for some minimum criteria for population and representation in the area in SG Ball / NSW / QLD Cup and plans for membership/community engagement, through to 3 for having all sorted.

Central Coast üüü (population a little low, but compensated by good football structure and memberships)
PNG üü
Brisbane üü (Talking to several QLD Cup clubs. Proven fan support of RL in city. Could be üüü by the time expansion is confirmed)
Central Queensland üü
Ipswich üü (don't think it would be as strong as Brisbane II)
Perth ü
Wellington/Christchurch ü
Adelaide 0 (very small)

Value to TV - easy: Oztam ratings, TV slots, local content for large populations and impact on Free to air of current NRL clubs should be criteria.

Brisbane üüü
Perth üüü
Ipswich üüü (in Brisbane metro area)
Adelaide üü (lack of interest brings it down. Only 1m people but in an Oztam city)
Central Queensland üü (more queensland content, but outside metro area)
Wellington/Christchurch üü
Central Coast ü
PNG 0

Support of other clubs

Perth üüü
Brisbane üü
Ipswich üü (assuming it would be same as for Brisbane)
Central Queensland ü (I really can't see the other clubs supporting this bid)
Central Coast ü
Wellington/Christchurch ü (probably low, but NZRL would be behind it big time)
PNG 0
Adelaide 0 (hard to be supported if non existant)

Expansion of game - Reconnecting with old fans shouldn't be concidered here, that comes under fan support. This is all about new markets. 3 for taking the game to new markets where there is little exposure to the NRL, 2 for introducing teams to large populations under-represented, 1 for medium sized markets that can sustain a team.

PNG üüü
Perth üüü
Adelaide üüü
Wellington/Christchurch üü
Brisbane üü
Central Coast ü
Ipswich ü
Central Queensland 0 (too small)

Setting a pass mark of 10/18 (then a ARLC board vote on those that cut it), the totals are:
Brisbane - 14/18
Perth - 13/18
Central Coast -10/18 - max'ed out in areas they can control get them over the line
Ipswich - 10/18 - would be killed by the superior Brisbane II being in similar region
Adelaide - 5/18 - its a long term prospect made worthwhile by TV.

Last edited:

Bay City

Juniors
Sorry I meant that at the moment I would give it one tick but two ticks conditional on the redevelopment.

Current capacity is around 21k
$82mill allocated for one major new stand due for completion 2013 taking capacity to 25k
Govt Plan for a further $260mill to be allocated to replace other parts of the ground taking the capacity to just under 30k

Thanks for clarifying.

I think CC could have potential for 2 ticks - and would certainly compare well to a number of existing grounds. Capacity is the only issue - I assume facilities are fine based on age/look of the stadium. If they can get it to 25k by doing up the end in use it should be fine.

Also in some respects having a ground that is likely to be full a few times a year adds not only to the atmosphere but encourages membership for those that want to ensure they don't miss out.

applesauce

Bench
Godda the finances for CQLD and Brisbane the same rating is a bit rich. Sure there is plenty of money in mining up there but it can't compete with big city advertising/reach.

I don't prefer one. But fans do. So you can't say a flash new stadium is best in all cases. ANZ is a woeful venue to watch games from and has no atmposphere to begin with so I'm not going to advocate the use of a venue like that over one that fans actually like.

BDGS

Bench
ANZ stadium is fine, my seats as a member are always has a good view of the entire field and i'm surround by a number of people even when only 13,000 turns up. The only bad place to watch from at ANZ is the GA section.