What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

beave

Coach
I totally disagree, I have been to ANZ countless times,the first double header, origins, GF's, semis, regular season games and all in different locations and to be quite honest the joints sucks ass viewing wise. The only good spot was scoring some QANTAS corporate box tickets from work which is next to the main commentators box on the western side but that was a one off and that sort of experience is not a common occurrence. Suncorp is by far and away the best viewing League stadium in the country. ANZ granted is much bigger, but I have been to NFL games in the states with stadiums of similar capacity and the viewing lines at those joints are vastly superior.

sheepbender

Juniors
Sorry I meant that at the moment I would give it one tick but two ticks conditional on the redevelopment.

Current capacity is around 21k
$82mill allocated for one major new stand due for completion 2013 taking capacity to 25k
Govt Plan for a further $260mill to be allocated to replace other parts of the ground taking the capacity to just under 30k

This may be an uneducated comment, but $82mill for a 4000 seat gain seems a bit steep too me.. Yea I know there's building the structure, electrical, plumbing, council permission etc but still, a bit steep

Perth Red

Post Whore
This may be an uneducated comment, but $82mill for a 4000 seat gain seems a bit steep too me.. Yea I know there's building the structure, electrical, plumbing, council permission etc but still, a bit steep

not really, the current stand is merely scaffolding and seating with no roof. The new stand has corporate boxes, new changing rooms, bars, food outlets and a full roof. They are effectively demolishing a stand and building a brand new one. It is expensive but that is building in Perth for you.

WEB.jpg

membersnewstand2420x0qz9.jpg

We are still also waiting on news of the new AFL stadium that is muted to have retractable stands for socer and Rugby (sic) This will be 60,000ish perfect for SOO!
692614-perth-stadium.jpg

Last edited:

sheepbender

Juniors
Yea fair enough, the middle picture reminds of the Warriors' Ericsson stadium, or whatever it's called these days, before the new stand was put in.. Decent amount of seating for an up n coming team..

duylm

Juniors
Value to TV - easy: Oztam ratings, TV slots, local content for large populations and impact on Free to air of current NRL clubs should be criteria.

Brisbane üüü
Perth üüü
Ipswich üüü (in Brisbane metro area)
Adelaide üü (lack of interest brings it down. Only 1m people but in an Oztam city)
Central Queensland üü (more queensland content, but outside metro area)
Wellington/Christchurch üü
Central Coast ü
PNG 0

In all the expansion threads, even avid CC Bears supporters seem to have missed the fact that the Central Coast is actually counted in the OZTAM Sydney metro area.

http://www.oztam.com.au/pdf/tv_ratings/metro_coverage_maps.pdf

In all the expansion threads, even avid CC Bears supporters seem to have missed the fact that the Central Coast is actually counted in the OZTAM Sydney metro area.

If thats the case then the 1.1m catchment comes even more into play. A big arguement was that the CC wasn't part of the major networks regions therefore it wouldn't bring in the same ad space as a Brisbane, Perth etc.. but thanks to you it clearly does. That means automatically the catchment is infact the same size of Brisbane 2's and Perths. Not only that but now there's the unique situation of having both metro ad space via oztam and still regional ad space thanks to the sponsors WIN, Prime and being heavily involved with NBN. With David Gallop and the NRL making sure they mention the importance of reconnecting to the North Shore, while at the same time delivering the CC a team in an overall catchment area binded by the Bears historical and new regions when mentioning the CCBEARS bid. You've just ticked another box without knowing it, though admittedly the Central Coast Bears were always aware of this circumstance.

Last edited:

duylm

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, i fully support the Bears bid. I just don't have the patience for banging my head against some of the forum trolls like you do (in amongst the pages of legitimate debate). I do enjoy reading it though.

Don't get me wrong, i fully support the Bears bid. I just don't have the patience for banging my head against some of the forum trolls like you do (in amongst the pages of legitimate debate). I do enjoy reading it though.

I'm not getting you wrong at all mate, like I said you just proved a big point about ad space on the major networks in the metro areas which will be so important to TV rights. I should actually thank you. So thank you :D

Goddo

Bench

If thats the case, there are still already 9 teams in 1 Oztam area, yet only 3 free to air games.

What likelihood is there that another side in this area will improve our next TV deal when the current clubs (eg Cronulla, Penrith) can't get a good run on Free to Air TV? How will 10 teams in Sydney help the game grow TV revenue? It won't. If anything we should be reducing the number of Sydney sides by 1-2.

Weigh this against the benefits of a second Brisbane side, so there is local content every week there, and a single Perth side, especially important since the changes to the Anti-Siphoning list have been made.

With expansion, there is really 4 ways it could go:

Growth - Perth and Brisbane metro
Heartland - Central Coast and Brisbane metro
Heartstrings - Central Coast and Perth
No expansion in 2013

I still think the game won't expand in 2013, but will in 2014-15. Every day that passes before an anouncement is made the Bears bid becomes weaker relative to others. Time is the CC's enemy.

You Bears fans are getting very nervous about Brisbane aren't you?

Goddo

Bench
If thats the case then the 1.1m catchment comes even more into play. A big arguement was that the CC wasn't part of the major networks regions therefore it wouldn't bring in the same ad space as a Brisbane, Perth etc.. but thanks to you it clearly does. That means automatically the catchment is infact the same size of Brisbane 2's and Perths. Not only that but now there's the unique situation of having both metro ad space via oztam and still regional ad space thanks to the sponsors WIN, Prime and being heavily involved with NBN. With David Gallop and the NRL making sure they mention the importance of reconnecting to the North Shore, while at the same time delivering the CC a team in an overall catchment area binded by the Bears historical and new regions when mentioning the CCBEARS bid. You've just ticked another box without knowing it, though admittedly the Central Coast Bears were always aware of this circumstance.

:lol:
Nice try, but there goes your "not part of Sydney" arguement. All of the problems associated with adding a 10th side to Sydney are relevant.

That "catchment" is already part of Sydney for TV, an area with 9 sides already. How many of these teams get on free to air each week? At best on average 3-4 a week.

Do you seriously think the current Sydney clubs would dilute their exposure and support by allowing another side in? It would collectively hurt 9 teams. Do you think the ARLC would bring in a club that would damage 9 current teams?

The Bears won't happen for this reason.

:lol:
Nice try, but there goes your "not part of Sydney" arguement. All of the problems associated with adding a 10th side to Sydney are relevant.

That "catchment" is already part of Sydney for TV, an area with 9 sides already. How many of these teams get on free to air each week? At best on average 3-4 a week.

Do you seriously think the current Sydney clubs would dilute their exposure and support by allowing another side in? It would collectively hurt 9 teams. Do you think the ARLC would bring in a club that would damage 9 current teams?

The Bears won't happen for this reason.

Just because an area is demographically seperate doesn't mean that major networks cant draw on potential viewers from one hub. Eg. Sunnycoast & Gold Coast still get the same channels as brisbane but they also get regional channels.. exactly like CC.

Like I said dont hate because the Bears are in an unique position where they can spread into a region with no team CC whilst maintaining a historical link to their old region North Shore. No point in trying to argue against something thats never happened before until now. It's a unique position that the bid has which no one else besides possibly St.George Illawarra have been in. The other bids aren't in this position so it's irrelevant to compare the situations between bids as each is completely different from one another. That's my point which you guys still havent got.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This OZtam argument is interesting.

Are any of you aware that Prime (7's regional affiliate), NBN (9's) and SC Ten (10's) all have Central Coast stations?

How exactly would they be counted in Sydney's metro? :?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And Goddo - you forgot two ticks for the Bears in your analysis yesterday - under Expansion you have them for one tick, despite saying two ticks was for "2 for introducing teams to large populations under-represented". Compared to other bid/expansion locations, CC has a large population. Particular if you consider the North Shore.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Goddo I would argue re fanbase being better in CQ than Perth, yes the game is the main game in that region but the actual popualtion is very small in the immediate area and marginally bigger if you include a few hours out of town.

Also on finances, whilst we haven't announced major future sponsors we have one company that has already put in nearly $400k for our development so far, probably more cash spent by a company than in any other bid.

Version 6

Staff member
And Goddo - you forgot two ticks for the Bears in your analysis yesterday - under Expansion you have them for one tick, despite saying two ticks was for "2 for introducing teams to large populations under-represented". Compared to other bid/expansion locations, CC has a large population. Particular if you consider the North Shore.

I have little doubt that a Central Coast NRL side would resonate with the people of the Central Coast. I think it's safe to say that the people of the Central Coast would embrace the side.

I'm a little more dubious about their draw power in North Sydney outside of disgruntled Bears fans.

There are high school students who weren't alive the last time the North Sydney Bears played an NRL match. Are we really expecting that generation of supporters and the ones that follow will adopt the Bears because they were, before they were born, located in North Sydney?

They'll have clubs to support closer by.

meltiger

First Grade
PR as good as the idea of a 60k seat stadium is for Perth. I would be wary of ground sharing with the AFL... See the Etihad history and experience...

Dogs Of War

Coach
This OZtam argument is interesting.

Are any of you aware that Prime (7's regional affiliate), NBN (9's) and SC Ten (10's) all have Central Coast stations?

How exactly would they be counted in Sydney's metro? :?

What it does is muddy the waters. As there is a cross over in the ratings, where some people in the Central Coast can watch normal channel 9 and NBN. So if they watch normal channel 9 it will get counted in the Sydney metro ratings, while if they watch NBN, it gets counted in the regional ratings. You may think it doesn't make much of a difference, but I am sure this does, especially given the small amount of boxes out there. So the benefit of the Bears to TV is much harder to work out, especially compared to some of the other bids.

Also given the changes to the anti-siphoning agreement that Conroy is trying to push through in the next parliament sitting (March was reported in the paper), it may be that Channel 9 will start to show the NRL live into Perth and Melbourne from this season. If that's the case, it will only help Perth's bid if they can get an audience and more interest in the game because of it.

It's pretty clear the inclusion of North Sydney in the CC figures is just a way of trying to boost their population and junior club figures. There's no way many people from North Sydney will support a team on the CC, just as CC people refused to back a team half based in North Sydney (Northern Eagles).

Latest posts