What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Dogs Of War

Coach
PR as good as the idea of a 60k seat stadium is for Perth. I would be wary of ground sharing with the AFL... See the Etihad history and experience...

In reality, it would only be used for a blockbuster type game. It would take years for Perth to assemble the sort of support that would warrant moving the game to the new stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In reality, it would only be used for a blockbuster type game. It would take years for Perth to assemble the sort of support that would warrant moving the game to the new stadium.

yeh wasn't suggesting we would use it as a home ground for the Reds but more that it will give RL another top class large venue for staging marquee games such as SOO and Internationals (and in 2040 a GF!)

meltiger

First Grade
Grand Final ha ha Good luck with that

I'm aware of what you were saying, what I'm saying is RL isn't suitable for oval grounds regardless of what the event may be...

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
It's pretty clear the inclusion of North Sydney in the CC figures is just a way of trying to boost their population and junior club figures. There's no way many people from North Sydney will support a team on the CC, just as CC people refused to back a team half based in North Sydney (Northern Eagles).

Fancy trying to boost the catchment and junior numbers; Shame on them - Are you for real. ?
That is the whole point of this bid. It does include the Central Coast and the adjoining North Shore.

As for your assumption that there is now way many people from North Sydney will support..... Bollocks. There are many thousands just like me.
You need a history lesson; We voted to relocate to the Central Coast as the Central Coast Bears in the mid 90's. Been trying ever since. There will also be 1 game per year at NSO, more than likely a blockbuster against Manly. Talk to the hundreds signing up at recent North Shore membership drives, they beg to differ to your ill-informed assumptions.

Half Based in Northern Sydney (the Northern Eagles) P*ss Orf. Try mainly based in Manly Warringah with no visible association to Norths or North Sydney or The North Shore and NOT called the Central Coast.

BDGS

Bench
We are still also waiting on news of the new AFL stadium that is muted to have retractable stands for socer and Rugby (sic) This will be 60,000ish perfect for SOO!
692614-perth-stadium.jpg

That would be awesome, The AFL can finally deliver something of real use for us. Unlike them just using our grounds :p.

I'm sure if that stadium was to be built, then the there would be no problems taking the SOO over to WA. Particularly if it can be moved into a rectangle.

What would be the capacities?

I know you said 60k, but ANZ capacity is significantly larger when in the rectangle shape field then for circular fields such as cricket and AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The plan (if it still stands!) was to have quite significant retractable stands on all 4 sides so that over 25k people would be very close to the action and the rest would be further away in teh AFL seats. AS far as I am aware that capacity plan is still 60k ish in any configuration. This stadium has chopped and changed though with each new Govt that has come in so who knows what and when we will eventually end up with! Page2 of this dated document sets out the rectangle part of the stadium:
http://www.perthstadium.com.au/assets/files/stadium update/Perth Stadium Update 2.pdf

One thing that is 100% certain is that $82mill will be spent on NIB stadium with work starting this year and due for completion 2013.

Speaking of expansion and mergers at the some time. Does anyone else think it is obvious that a 3rd south queensland bid should be Ipswich-Toowoomba. It would have the catchment of the whole south western corridor down towards toowoomba and like the dragons would have the advantages of a loyal regional supporter base and metropolitan dollars

BDGS

Bench
The plan (if it still stands!) was to have quite significant retractable stands on all 4 sides so that over 25k people would be very close to the action and the rest would be further away in teh AFL seats. AS far as I am aware that capacity plan is still 60k ish in any configuration. This stadium has chopped and changed though with each new Govt that has come in so who knows what and when we will eventually end up with! Page2 of this dated document sets out the rectangle part of the stadium:
http://www.perthstadium.com.au/assets/files/stadium update/Perth Stadium Update 2.pdf

One thing that is 100% certain is that $82mill will be spent on NIB stadium with work starting this year and due for completion 2013.

Hope it gets done and on time.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Speaking of expansion and mergers at the some time. Does anyone else think it is obvious that a 3rd south queensland bid should be Ipswich-Toowoomba. It would have the catchment of the whole south western corridor down towards toowoomba and like the dragons would have the advantages of a loyal regional supporter base and metropolitan dollars

That bid seems to have dissapeared. So in reality, this Brisbane 2 bid is the closest they will have to getting a team that represents there area (given they said this will try and be a South Brisbane team)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Both the Ipswich and CQ bids have been quiet recently. Then again so has ours but I know there is lots happening behind the scenes in WA so maybe we shouldn;t read anything into the lack of media profile of some bids?

Yeah, true across the board. Clubs that have relatively advanced bids for major leagues wont push the media card too far unless they are really confident. It can really do damage in the long run if unsucessful. We need only look at the South Coast, Canberra and Tasmanian A-league bids

BDGS

Bench
Yeah, true across the board. Clubs that have relatively advanced bids for major leagues wont push the media card too far unless they are really confident. It can really do damage in the long run if unsucessful. We need only look at the South Coast, Canberra and Tasmanian A-league bids

those were pushed for in the media by those bids?

First i'm hearing about it those bids at all.

applesauce

Bench
Both the Ipswich and CQ bids have been quiet recently. Then again so has ours but I know there is lots happening behind the scenes in WA so maybe we shouldn;t read anything into the lack of media profile of some bids?

NEWS will only report on things they want to report on.

Selling papers in Ipswich & CQLD wouldn't be high on their list.

meltiger

First Grade
Do you know ANZ is a multi-purpose ground?

Obviously I well aware of that, as well as being that,

#a - It is a turd of a place to watch RL from.
#b - What state it is located in.

Re-read my original post...

The plan (if it still stands!) was to have quite significant retractable stands on all 4 sides so that over 25k people would be very close to the action and the rest would be further away in teh AFL seats.

& what happens when the AFL decide to stump up half the cash for the stadium, and gain some form of control over how the stadium is operated?

As with Etihad, the seats will very, very rarely be moved in.

These multi-purpose stadiums in AFL heartlands become a joke, as the AFL use their financial clout to ensure the other sports suffer.

The fact we have had to attend Etihad to watch State of Origin games, Melbourne Storm prelim games etc etc on an oval configuration when they have the ability to bring in the stands is nothing short of criminal.

Particularly for Storm prelims given the AFL do NOT host any games at Etihad from week 3 of their finals onwards.

I'm not saying don't be excited by the plan, what I'm saying is don't completely get your hopes up until such a time as the stadium is built without financial input from the AFL.

& if it ever does get built in the manner I assume it will .... i highly recomend buying any SOO tickets (Should the game go there) on the corner posts :) Preferably at height. Only seats in the house that are any good.

BDGS

Bench
Won't the Storm be playing their finals games at AAMI now?

It can hold more then 25,000 which was the problem with Olympic so AAMI should be right. Etihad isn't that bad of a place to watch League from.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
yeh wasn't suggesting we would use it as a home ground for the Reds but more that it will give RL another top class large venue for staging marquee games such as SOO and Internationals (and in 2040 a GF!)

When would be kick off for SOO in Perth? I honestly can't think of a good time.

It would have to be at prime time east coast but also in WA as it will be a large event.

The ONLY time that I think SOO could work in WA is on either a Saturday or (preferably) Sunday at 5pm kick off (WA time) 7pm here.