What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Thats not true.They have said the name is negotiable. Check the website.

Personally, I'd like to see some points of difference in terms of their name and colours with the Brisbane Broncos.

I'd like them to be different in as many ways as possible to the Broncos. I like the idea of "South Brisbane" "Xxxxxxxx" with no Maroon or yellow

Davison has said it will be Brisbane quite emphatically a few times. There are some inaccuracies on the website so I’d take the chief backer of the bid over the words on the bid website.

smithie

Juniors

BDGS

Bench
Just another reason why this Brisbane bid is not the Brisbane bid that should led Rugby League's second ever Brisbane team.

SBW wanted to captain Brisbane expansion side

The bid director for a second Brisbane team wants Sonny Bill Williams to captain his potential side.
One of the agendas for the incoming independent commission will be to investigate the merits of expanding the 16 team competition, possibly as early as 2013.
And bid head Craig Davison isn't ruling out attracting Wayne Bennett and the All Black centre to head up his expansion side.
Williams, has hinted he'd like to return rugby league in the future.
"Sonny Bill is a great footballer and he's been offered something like $2 million a year by French and Japanese rugby clubs," said Davison who spoke passionately at Suncorp Stadium on Monday about the impact their bid would have on rugby league at grass roots and in fighting off the AFL threat.
"We'd be very interested in talking to Sonny Bill but only if his price was relative to what we can afford.
"If he wants a million dollars, then he'll have to go to France.
"But it's not always about money.
"If he was available and interested he'd definitely be on our hit list.
A successful businessman, Davison hopes the NRL will agree the time is right for Brisbane to welcome another team playing out of Suncorp Stadium.
"Brisbane's been ready to go for a number of years," said Davison.
"You've got this wonderful market in Queensland with three million people in South East Queensland and you've only got two teams; you look at the Sydney market and you've got nine teams within that area.
"That's an issue that has to be resolved over the years by the commission, and we'll have nothing to do with that, but the reality is, if you look at the Brisbane market, it is ripe, ready to go."
The consortium, which also includes meat mogul Bill Rae and Nicholas Livermore whose father Ross is managing director of the QRL, believes it can sell its local derby with the Brisbane Broncos as the NRL's club version of State of Origin.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4705119/SBW-wanted-to-captain-Brisbane-expansion-side/

bobmar28

Bench
Talking to a boss of one of the other NRL clubs today and asked about expansion. He said that in his view Brisbane was an absolute must. In a league area, in a city with 1.5m people that will probably be 2 million in a few years that two teams was probably the MINIMUM number of teams required there. He wasn't so sure about the other franchise but said it was between CC and Perth. Didn't really rate CQ a hope. Hopefully the other club bosses agree that Brisbane needs a second team because the other clubs may yet have a bit of a say in it. And hopefully they back Perth too, although personally I want PNG but realise that's a longer term option.

Brisbanes population is over 2 million now.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Interesting to see the reaction of the CQ bid to the way BNE2 are behaving... www.cqnrlbid.com.au

They're reacting like they are threatened and so they should be. If a decent (and Brisbane 2 is yet to be decent) bid from Brisbane came to be then CQld were always going to look less appealing. CQld is a good location for another side in say 10-15 years time but their low population size coupled with large geographic size was always going to put them at a disadvantage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
out of interest what od the B2 haters think they need to show to make them faves? Some committed $'s and community support seems to bethe two key areas that they need, after that I think it is hard to argue that they don't tick more boxes than any other team (except the expansion one which is our Ace up the sleeve!)

Will be interesting to see how quickly they can recruit members, they will probably only have around 3-4 months so will be a hard task to get the 3-5k members that would show a strong community support in that short time frame.

BDGS

Bench
What community support do they have?

Free pies? get over it.

Where are their members?

Where was their support at their own launch? they were outnumbered by other supporters

Show me one person that does not have an current NRL team that will support this team IF they get in.

Their launch was dissaponting, their amount of $$$$ was significantly lower then the other heartland bid.

Why do they feel the need to be arrogant?

They say they will bring more to the league? what will they bring? They have targeted 3 or 4 current NRL coaches to coach them, thats taking from the league not giving. They have targeted union players to be their marquee players? what does that do, give some half arsed players that couldn't make it in League.

There are rumours they are trying to take sponsors away from other clubs to their bid, again not bringing in news sponsors that WA, CC and even CQ have managed to do.

What is the need to be arrogant about their bid?

I'm not against another Brisbane team, they need/deserve one. But i am against this bid based on all the above.

clarency

Juniors
What community support do they have?

Free pies? get over it.

Where are their members?

Where was their support at their own launch? they were outnumbered by other supporters

Show me one person that does not have an current NRL team that will support this team IF they get in.

Their launch was dissaponting, their amount of $$$$ was significantly lower then the other heartland bid.

Why do they feel the need to be arrogant?

They say they will bring more to the league? what will they bring? They have targeted 3 or 4 current NRL coaches to coach them, thats taking from the league not giving. They have targeted union players to be their marquee players? what does that do, give some half arsed players that couldn't make it in League.

There are rumours they are trying to take sponsors away from other clubs to their bid, again not bringing in news sponsors that WA, CC and even CQ have managed to do.

What is the need to be arrogant about their bid?

I'm not against another Brisbane team, they need/deserve one. But i am against this bid based on all the above.

You're crying out at the lack of support and all that jazz... You realise they've only been around... 1... 2 weeks now? You shouldn't be looking at your membership numbers as some death blow to the Bris2 bid because that was built over years... Give Bris2 time and just see what happens. You seem to have written them off from the get-go.

Von

Juniors

Thousands of RL loving Brisbaneites who hate the Broncos!

Even those that may support another Sydney team will go along to Suncorp.

BDGS

Bench
You're crying out at the lack of support and all that jazz... You realise they've only been around... 1... 2 weeks now? You shouldn't be looking at your membership numbers as some death blow to the Bris2 bid because that was built over years... Give Bris2 time and just see what happens. You seem to have written them off from the get-go.

1 or 2 weeks?

You left out they have been an public bid for 1 or 2 weeks. The bid has been working since November. The majority of fans have known about the bid for a 2-3 months. Ample time for a proactive supporter to set up a group of people to attend the launch at VERY least.

Thousands of RL loving Brisbaneites who hate the Broncos!

Even those that may support another Sydney team will go along to Suncorp.

Where are they? Why aren't they making noise?

NRL clubs are built on fan supporter bases, this bid has showed nothing.

If there is "thousands" of them, there would be someone, somewhere making some noise. The only people making noise are the bid itself unlike all over bids.

I also noticed how there has been no answers to the other questions as yet.

applesauce

Bench
Making noise could be classed as a little bit insecure, ie. little man syndrome.

Judging by the CM linking everyone from Bennett to $BW in a frigging article every bloody day shows that it is obviously selling papers/clicks.

Not everyone needs to jump up and down and say "look at me, look at me".

Making noise could be classed as a little bit insecure, ie. little man syndrome.

Judging by the CM linking everyone from Bennett to $BW in a frigging article every bloody day shows that it is obviously selling papers/clicks.

Not everyone needs to jump up and down and say "look at me, look at me".

Thats exactly what Brisbane 2 is doing though. Craig Davison's whole approach has been look at me, look at me