What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

beave

Coach
Well it doesnt kickoff generally til about 8pm normally due to all the pre game BS so 6pm their time, 8pm ours on a saturday isn't too bad really.

BDGS

Bench
Why can't it be 6pm Wednesday?

Who gives two sh*ts about the TV networks 6pm news, they can move the news to 5:30pm for crying out loud.

applesauce

Bench
Why can't it be 6pm Wednesday?

Who gives two sh*ts about the TV networks 6pm news, they can move the news to 5:30pm for crying out loud.

Do you expect people to go the game from work? (they would need to be at the match around 5:30 to be seated with a beer and ready for the game)

bobmar28

Bench
Speaking of expansion and mergers at the some time. Does anyone else think it is obvious that a 3rd south queensland bid should be Ipswich-Toowoomba. It would have the catchment of the whole south western corridor down towards toowoomba and like the dragons would have the advantages of a loyal regional supporter base and metropolitan dollars

I'm a supporter of the pins in the map way of expansion. The reason I support the Jets bid.
2 pins in the Brisbane dot on the map doesn't seem to fit. 2 Brisbanes? Brisbane v Brisbane derby? I don't see how that would work. I hope the Jets can come up with a viable bid.

bobmar28

Bench
Won't the Storm be playing their finals games at AAMI now?

It can hold more then 25,000 which was the problem with Olympic so AAMI should be right. Etihad isn't that bad of a place to watch League from.

Isn't it owned by the AFL? That would make it a bad place to watch league from.

BDGS

Bench
Do you expect people to go the game from work? (they would need to be at the match around 5:30 to be seated with a beer and ready for the game)

alright, that makes sense.

6:30pm-7pm kick off, that would make it 8:30pm-9pm kick for the Eastern States.

clarency

Juniors
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but another advantage of this bid is that it gives an extra game for fans of non-Brissy sides. eg- St George fans in Brisbane now can watch 2 games instead of 1 at suncorp.

I'd also expect many casual Broncos fans to end up attending matches every week from both teams, regardless of who's playing.

Second Bris side is definitely on the cards.

Version 6

Staff member
The opinion of the NRL currently is that ALL teams Sydney or otherwise need to survive for the sake of the game.

Yeah the NRL really wants Cronulla to survive because they love guarenteeing loans so teams can pay their staff.

smithie

Juniors
Dumped Broncos coach Ivan Henjak in running for Brisbane NRL expansion club

IT all ended in tears at the Broncos, but Ivan Henjak could yet land himself a second coming as an NRL coach ... right across town.

Brisbane expansion bid team spokesman Craig Davison yesterday said Henjak would be considered an option to pilot the playing roster of a possible Suncorp Stadium-based arch rival to the Broncos, gunning for NRL entry in 2013.

But the axed Broncos coach would join a short list of potential coaching suitors for Brisbane's expansion team only if top targets, Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy were off the market.

Henjak's technical knowledge, at the least, makes him a valuable property as a coaching staff member should a return to an NRL head coach role prove elusive.

"Ivan's a very good tactical coach and if he wasn't working, you'd have to rule him in like every other coach that was available," Davison said.

"I'm not only interested in profile. I firmly believe that football teams need good coaches to be winning teams, end of story.

"There's two great coaches in the country (Bennett and Bellamy), followed by a number of good coaches, but we'll look at the whole bunch. I've said from the outset we want the best and we'll go after the best that are available."

The Brisbane consortium has let it be known Bennett and Bellamy are viewed as a cut above the rest in their field and will be head-hunted as inaugural coach if available.

But it is highly unlikely either coach will be available. Bennett will probably settle his future from next year before any NRL expansion is even given the green light, as expected, in mid-year.

The Courier-Mail stands by its story, published on Wednesday, that Henjak attempted to resign from his Broncos post last October.

Henjak and the then Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen have not returned calls from The Courier-Mail which sought comment.

Bennett's signature may also necessitate a break from NRL coaching in 2012, when the Brisbane club would need to prepare for possible NRL entry, something Bennett may be unwilling to do.

Bellamy, signed at the Storm for another three seasons, has also let it be known he is in "for the long haul" in Melbourne.

Davison declined to return fire on an emotional attack by rival bid Central Queensland, in which CQ chairman Geoff Murphy accused the Brisbane bid of showing a "lack of respect" by dragging Bennett and Sam Thaiday into the "Battle for Brisbane".

"We wish CQ all the best, they are very passionate people and you see it coming out in spades," Davison said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-expansion-club/story-e6frep5x-1226011635446

meltiger

First Grade
Won't the Storm be playing their finals games at AAMI now?

It can hold more then 25,000 which was the problem with Olympic so AAMI should be right. Etihad isn't that bad of a place to watch League from.

The sidelines are horrible, unless after the 10 metre line.

Premium seating on the second level is 50 meters, at least from the sideline and forget behind the dead ball line

If lucky enough to find yourself on a corner post, the view is ok. I have to be honest, I'd pay for a cat C ticket on level 4 if sitting directly on the corner post looking across the ground on a diagonal before a cat a seat. Horrible, horrible place to watch football.

Any week 1 or 2 finals would likely be at AAMI but the Stotm have drawn preliminary crowds that exceed it's capacity on multiple occasions. Week 3 finals would surely be at Etihad (given the NRL not the club schedules those games)

Last edited:
Talking to a boss of one of the other NRL clubs today and asked about expansion. He said that in his view Brisbane was an absolute must. In a league area, in a city with 1.5m people that will probably be 2 million in a few years that two teams was probably the MINIMUM number of teams required there. He wasn't so sure about the other franchise but said it was between CC and Perth. Didn't really rate CQ a hope. Hopefully the other club bosses agree that Brisbane needs a second team because the other clubs may yet have a bit of a say in it. And hopefully they back Perth too, although personally I want PNG but realise that's a longer term option.

BDGS

Bench
The sidelines are horrible, unless after the 10 metre line.

Premium seating on the second level is 50 meters, at least from the sideline and forget behind the dead ball line

If lucky enough to find yourself on a corner post, the view is ok. I have to be honest, I'd pay for a cat C ticket on level 4 if sitting directly on the corner post looking across the ground on a diagonal before a cat a seat. Horrible, horrible place to watch football.

So much for building a "world class rectangle stadium" then

Talking to a boss of one of the other NRL clubs today and asked about expansion. He said that in his view Brisbane was an absolute must. In a league area, in a city with 1.5m people that will probably be 2 million in a few years that two teams was probably the MINIMUM number of teams required there. He wasn't so sure about the other franchise but said it was between CC and Perth. Didn't really rate CQ a hope. Hopefully the other club bosses agree that Brisbane needs a second team because the other clubs may yet have a bit of a say in it. And hopefully they back Perth too, although personally I want PNG but realise that's a longer term option.

means 0 if we haven't got a name. Not that he will get a say in it.

meltiger

First Grade
So much for building a "world class rectangle stadium" thenit.

Did you quote the wrong part of my post mate? I assume you mean in relation to week 3 finals?

The government did the right thing.

There is no point building a stadium to hold 40-50 if you are only going to fill it very very rarely

We have a 30k seat stadium, that 95% of it's events don't fill to capacity. On the rare occasions we do expect bigger crowds, Etihad or the 'G can be utilized.

Regardless of how poor the viewing angles are.

If only Jeff had stuck to the original Docklands stadium concept it wouldn't have been an issue :(

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'm a supporter of the pins in the map way of expansion. The reason I support the Jets bid.
2 pins in the Brisbane dot on the map doesn't seem to fit. 2 Brisbanes? Brisbane v Brisbane derby? I don't see how that would work. I hope the Jets can come up with a viable bid.

There wont be 2 teams called "Brisbane", the Broncos would never allow that. The 2nd Brissy team will be named "South Brisbane" or something similar. It will be no different to a "Sydney v South Sydney" game

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
There wont be 2 teams called "Brisbane", the Broncos would never allow that. The 2nd Brissy team will be named "South Brisbane" or something similar. It will be no different to a "Sydney v South Sydney" game

The Broncos can’t stop a Brisbane based team from using Brisbane in their name.

smithie

Juniors
The 2nd Brisbane team will be called "Brisbane". The bid team have stated this on a number of occasions. There are Bronco-haters all over Brisbane, not just south of the river.

Goddo

Bench
Thats not true.They have said the name is negotiable. Check the website.

Personally, I'd like to see some points of difference in terms of their name and colours with the Brisbane Broncos.

I'd like them to be different in as many ways as possible to the Broncos. I like the idea of "South Brisbane" "Xxxxxxxx" with no Maroon or yellow