What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
I like the idea of a spider or snake name. Redbacks is a good name but we'll end up with every expansion team in red and black :lol:

taipan

Referee
Brisbane Hornets.To relate to the RAAF's planes and the sting of the hornet.
Else the Brisbane Scorpions

The Brisbane Jackeroos.....with the emblem being a Jackeroo holding a stock whip, with the whip end forming the word Jackeroos

........or just a hunter standing over the carcass of a dead bear

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Well we had the Cairns Cyclones in the State Cup for a while. Brisbane's a bit far south to honestly use that. Still can't believe we have the Northern Pride. The Cyclones is such a natural name for any team in the North. Mackay Cutters is perfect and Crushers was more than appropriate for the state (again perhaps not in the SE).

Leigh.

This is my only real worry. The worst thing they could do is go with something like the Brisbane Heat/Victory/Force/etc. At least with a public vote/suggestions ala the Titans we might get a decent name.

applesauce

Bench
But they do bite, and can carry 1000 times there weight. Plus uniquely Australian. If I was going for a Wolves type thing, I would probably go Dingos. But Brisbane Dingos doesn't have that ring to it.

That's what I thought, so i had to go with Wolves. It's a shame because it would be a good truly Australian name.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i the name "brothers" has a religious connection and history to it, i don't think it is in the best interest of this team or the NRL to have a team restricted by religious connections and history.

That's like saying the St. Kilda Saints has a religious tone these days... I honestly wouldn't think it would be a problem. Even if it was partially religious it would get a few conservatives into the game haha.

bobmar28

Bench
Amazes me how not that long ago, many on here were praising the CC Bears bid and how they need to be in the top flight....but as soon as this faux "Brisbane 2" hot air arrives, tunes have changed? I wonder why?

For 3 years I have been saying Central Coast should get a franchise when a Sydney team falls over/merges.

otori

Juniors
That's what I thought, so i had to go with Wolves. It's a shame because it would be a good truly Australian name.

That's like saying the St. Kilda Saints has a religious tone these days... I honestly wouldn't think it would be a problem. Even if it was partially religious it would get a few conservatives into the game haha.

Yeah brothers or brewers would be fine to both have a monk as their logo. The celtics logo would arguably polarize anyone from non Anglo descent but it gets the job done. Youd have to be mad to think the brothers teams in both union and league in Brisbane are good Christian boys.

bobmar28

Bench
Is it too much to ask the marketing consultants we hire to not just rip off some NFL or other American franchise and instead actually do their job by coming up with something original? This is not to be anti American but rather to suggest that if we have any ambition to have our brands known worldwide then it's going to be much easier to stand out from the pack with unique Rugby League names like Rabbitohs or uniquely Australian names like Taipans than to be just another Giants or Pirates or Jets. Who cares if foreign fans don't understand what a Drover is, it doesn't matter. After all, how many non Americans know what a Brown or a Bengal or a Packer is? As long as they immediately and uniquely bring the team and the game it plays to mind, the job has been done.

Leigh

A Brown is probably someone in a brown jersey, a bengal is a type of tiger found in India, a packer is someone who works on a packing line (like my wife).

otori

Juniors

Yeah brothers or brewers would be fine to both have a monk as their logo. The celtics logo would arguably polarize anyone from non Anglo descent but it gets the job done. Youd have to be mad to think the brothers teams in both union and league in Brisbane are good Christian boys.

Dogs Of War

Coach
A Brown is probably someone in a brown jersey, a bengal is a type of tiger found in India, a packer is someone who works on a packing line (like my wife).

The Browns are actually named after Paul Brown, who ironically went on to create the Bengals franchise.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
a packer is someone who works on a packing line (like my wife).
Or a rich fat bastard.
images

Problem is Brisbane Brothers still exist. They are a junior RL club and also an RU club. And Brothers Leagues Club still exists as well I think, although I've never been there. I'm not sure a new franchise could take their name.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Problem is Brisbane Brothers still exist. They are a junior RL club and also an RU club. And Brothers Leagues Club still exists as well I think, although I've never been there. I'm not sure a new franchise could take their name.

Really any new franchise in Brisbane should not be using the moniker of any previous QRL team. It may put the franchise on the back foot from the word go.