What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters
Okay. This is my first attempt at a team name, logo, colours etc.

I've gone with Brisbane Bucks. Firstly the Qld coat of arms has a red deer buck on it. Secondly I think it's a cool name and there's a bit of alliteration there. It would certainly help create some interesting headlines: "Brisbane bucking good" etc. Might cause some angst at Red Hill with the Broncos' mascot called Buck and the whole bucking Bronco thing. But feck em.

Colours could be white, royal blue and green. Predominently white uniform with flashes of blue and green looks really good I reckon and there's no other clubs with these colours. It's a bit similar to a Raiders away strip but without the yellow but it's hard to be completely different to all other clubs.

I've completely ripped off the Milwaukee Bucks logo below but it's indicative of the kind of thing they could do. Looks a bit like a Tooheys logo too. Maybe Tooheys could sponsor the new club.

Anyway it's an effort. Anyone else got any ideas?

Bucks.jpg

Dogs Of War

Coach
I like Brisbane Bull Ants. Typically any Australian native animal has to be better than any of these new age names like Storm, Force etc, or borrowed American team names.

otori

Juniors
Brisbane bucks is way too American. Should be something more Aussie I agree. Spiders snakes and insects are good and we have so many of them. Brisbane redbacks. Brisbane wasps. Brisbane pythons. Brisbane barracudas would be original.

applesauce

Bench
Brisbane Magpies - Australian, and would have a huge tie with Souths Logan (which would be perfect).
Brisbane Devils - just love the name and marketing ability.

Magpies - not too bad but I think Wests fans would consider it a rip-off of their old name and logo.
Devils - I considered it but Brisbane Norths would probably do a Redcliffe and threaten leagl action or something. And it is a name linked to the north of the city which wouldn't suit if people want this to be more of a southside team.
Koala Bears - apart from them not being bears it's a lame name.
Bull Ants is not bad. Wouldn't mind that. Make for a good logo. Probably the best suggestion so far. I tried to think of something that was marketable, different to any other RL clubs and had some kind of link to the city or the state, thus the buck deer. I'm not entirely happy with that either but it's so damn hard to come up with something original, or almost original, that is also a good name/logo.

Talons

Juniors
Assuming they can't use Brisbane Bulls. I'm partial to the scorpians but does anyone know if that name is already taken?

Smiley

Bench
Assuming they can't use Brisbane Bulls. I'm partial to the scorpians but does anyone know if that name is already taken?

Scorpions were used by Logan in the QLD Cup many years ago but have since folded.

I like Brewers but I don't know what type of logo you can have for that.

Stingers sounds alright too.

The Bid team have suggested a few names such as Braves, Diehards, Buccaneers and Spartans.

Quidgybo

Bench
Is it too much to ask the marketing consultants we hire to not just rip off some NFL or other American franchise and instead actually do their job by coming up with something original? This is not to be anti American but rather to suggest that if we have any ambition to have our brands known worldwide then it's going to be much easier to stand out from the pack with unique Rugby League names like Rabbitohs or uniquely Australian names like Taipans than to be just another Giants or Pirates or Jets. Who cares if foreign fans don't understand what a Drover is, it doesn't matter. After all, how many non Americans know what a Brown or a Bengal or a Packer is? As long as they immediately and uniquely bring the team and the game it plays to mind, the job has been done.

Leigh

Someone in the office were talking about this the other day and said "what is the natural enemy of the Bronco" and I thought maybe Cowboy and we already have them. But then I thought they could be the Brisbane Breakers - as in horse breakers. But do we need another team called Breakers (the NZ basketball team is the Breakers and the Newcastle soccer team was Breakers in the NSL too) and do we need another horse related nickname in Qld. The state has things other than horses and people who ride them.

BDGS

Bench
Fatty Vautin backs Central Queensland and Perth for expansion on Triple M

"My mail is the next team to come into the competition will be Perth, I've been told that's a given, they want ... the NRL actually wants a team there."

"before a second Brisbane team i would have Central Queensland, because between Brisbane and Townsville there is a thousand kilometres of hungry Rugby League supporters who want a team to support."

Quidgybo

Bench
The state has things other than horses and people who ride them
Well we had the Cairns Cyclones in the State Cup for a while. Brisbane's a bit far south to honestly use that. Still can't believe we have the Northern Pride. The Cyclones is such a natural name for any team in the North. Mackay Cutters is perfect and Crushers was more than appropriate for the state (again perhaps not in the SE).

Leigh.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fatty Vautin backs Central Queensland and Perth for expansion on Triple M

"My mail is the next team to come into the competition will be Perth, I've been told that's a given, they want ... the NRL actually wants a team there."

"before a second Brisbane team i would have Central Queensland, because between Brisbane and Townsville there is a thousand kilometres of hungry Rugby League supporters who want a team to support."

Is it online? Good on you Fatty!!