What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Drax

Juniors
I dont think the Bush rangers would be a good suit for Brisbane specially seeing our most famous bloke Ned is recognized as being from Glenrowan, Victoria.

bobmar28

Bench
I like the first design Orange & Turquoise - Miami Dolphins colours, right??

Also, i think it's the same colours as the Gold Coast Dolphins bid originally had - which would be GREAT for establishing a rivalry with the Titans as well as the Broncos :)

gold-coast-chargers-home-rugby-shirt-2004-s_920_1.jpg

(see what I mean???)

The second Jersey (Blue, Yellow & Grey) is a bit too close to the Titans for mine, and anyway don't we have enough clubs wearing various shades of blue & yellow together??
And we only have one other team wearing orange...

For designs 3 & 4 - I think Brisbane 2 should avoid using Maroon & Gold (even in the trim) - to define themselves more clearly away from the Broncos.

So yeah - Orange & Turquoise!!

It also leaves combinations like Green & White (Ipswich/West Brisbane) and Maroon, white & blue (Redcliffe/North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast) for future SEQ clubs.

Nice jersey but to use the name Dolphins they would have to include Redcliffe.

I dont think the Bush rangers would be a good suit for Brisbane specially seeing our most famous bloke Ned is recognized as being from Glenrowan, Victoria.
Exactly. Well apart from the Glenrowan bit. It's one thing to have random animals or whatever as your emblem, it's another to have a specific character associated with a specific place. Ned Kelly would have never even been to Brisbane. It would be stupid to have his head on their emblem. If you want to call the team Bushrangers it needs to be more like that Tuggeranong one, ie not Ned Kelly but a more generic one.

sheepbender

Juniors
No love for Brisbane Mavericks then..?? Though it was good, a name going against the Broncos, taking the limelight away.. But yea Orange/Teal is a goer, Maroon and Black should never go together..

flippikat

Bench
Nice jersey but to use the name Dolphins they would have to include Redcliffe.

I'm not saying Brisbane2 should use Dolphins as a name - quite rightly keep THAT aside for Redcliffe/North Brisbane team if that happens.

rather I was just saying they should use the orange & turquoise colours that the GC Dolphins bid originally used.. ot just because I like it and think it'd be distinctive - but it's also a way of stoking a rivalry with Titans as well

Also, I don't think turquoise and orange are too similar to the Titans current colours.. So long as suitable clash strips are used, there's no problem.

like I said before - Green strip should be for a future West Brisbane club, sky blue (North Brisbane) and Maroon (Redcliffe) for a North Brisbane club - it would carry-thru some traditional Brisbane club colours that way.

but for this Brisbane2 club you could go either way I suppose... Use some traditional south/central Brisbane club colours, or do something new like orange & turquiose.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Your own team has a very american name. Never been any cowboys in Australia , plenty of jackaroos, stockmen & ringers though.
The cowboys name is an interesting one. When it first came out it was seen to be too American and rightly so. Now the name has a new connotation.

When you think of Nth Qld you think - hot weather, top end, crocodiles, cyclones and cowboys. The cowboys, both name and side, have become part of Nth Qld culture.

clarency

Juniors
Oh yea... "cowboys".. didn't think of them at all. It worked for Nth Queensland... Don't think it could have worked anywhere else.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see the CQ website is really ripping into this bid!
There has been considerable movement in the NRL expansion scene in the last few weeks, with activity centred on the so-called “Battle for Brisbane”. The CQ NRL Bid Chairman, Geoff Murphy, has rightly been critical of some of the tactics that this Bid has employed and refuted many of the purported benefits that this Bid will bring, if admitted to the NRL. He has asked many public questions about the motivations of this Bid.
Last week when talking on Foxsport News, about the merits of both the Brisbane based Bid and the CQ Bid, Geoff Murphy spoke passionately about his vision and commitment to his dream of a NRL team in Central Queensland. His interviewer asked what could supporters of the CQ NRL Bid do to counter the smoke and mirrors campaign from Brisbane that remains somewhat unchallenged for authenticity and transparency.
http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2011/03/the-fight-for-our-rights/

CQ claim the CQ team will have a catchment of 650k. I know Rockhampton has less than 100k so how far afield are the other 550k?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just looked at the map and there doesn't seem to be alot within a 250k radius to Rocky, are they lending fans the guys private plane to get to games?

Goddo

Bench
^ I don't think it will. There is a lot of talk around all the bids, and a bit of sledging going on in Queensland, but at the end of the day:

* the commission will determine the criteria and time frame for expansion - Gallop has said all sorts of things about criteria, often contradictory about: stadiums, sponsors, fans, media/tv rights, location, (eg fish where the fish are, then identifying key areas Ipswich-Logan coridor, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Central Coast).

BUT the commission will decide what criteria are important. The timeframe will be cruical too - if expansion in 2013, I'd say its Perth + either Brisbane or Central Coast - if in 2015, Central Coast's chances become slimmer, and others (like PNG or Wellington) improve.

* there will be bids submitted - Brisbane, 2nd Brisbane bid (joint bid from 2 QLD Cup Clubs rumoured), Central Coast, Central Queensland, Ipswich-Logan, Perth, PNG, Wellington. All have expressed interest, but I'd expect serious bids from only some of these.

* The ARL Commission will assess each one, the pros and cons of each and try to make an assement of each before declaring 2 winners.

The winners will probably be Perth and one of Brisbane, Central Coast or Ipswich.

Last edited:

Latest posts