What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Quidgybo

Bench
Excellent assessment. If the Commission decides that one of the expansion criteria is that one of the new teams will come from Queensland then one of the Queensland bids will be chosen regardless of any other factor - membership, sponsorship or preparation.

Leigh

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
^^There’s no Ipswich-Logan bid mate, only the Ipswich Jets.

It would amuse me greatly if QLD petty fighting seals the deal for the Bears

I think at this stage some bids might see any news is good news. Getting their bid in the statewide/national news and getting the awareness out there is all that matters. The IC will look at the details.

Honestly I don’t think it matters anymore though. Unless there is some paradigm shift in the next few months (ie: the IC want two heartland or two expansion teams instead of one each) I’d bet the house on WA Reds and Brisbane whatevers getting accepted.

BDGS

Bench
So whats new with this bid?

Gone quite again?

no response to gallops comments at the fan forum? I find that weird.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So whats new with this bid?

Gone quite again?

no response to gallops comments at the fan forum? I find that weird.

No nothing new. Just that it's a massive threat to the bears and has got their supporters on edge and making up more bullsh*t than usual.

Goddo

Bench
^^There’s no Ipswich-Logan bid mate, only the Ipswich Jets.
Well, I was sort of thinking about Gallop's comments about the "Ipswich-Logan Coridor" and how the Ipswich bid wants to be based out of Springfield. Sorry for any confusion.
I think at this stage some bids might see any news is good news. Getting their bid in the statewide/national news and getting the awareness out there is all that matters. The IC will look at the details.

Honestly I don’t think it matters anymore though. Unless there is some paradigm shift in the next few months (ie: the IC want two heartland or two expansion teams instead of one each) I’d bet the house on WA Reds and Brisbane whatevers getting accepted.
You are right, the bids are trying to make as much noise as possible. Any news is good news. And you are probably right about the bids - once the IC gets going and determines some criteria, Perth and Brisbane will likely be the ones to beat, but the "completeness" of the Central Coast bid will push the others.

Brisbane expansion is quite interesting, in that it is almost a clean slate, and the ARLC can pick the model it wants for that area.

Do you go with a Man City vs Man Utd model, or a North vs South model in Brisbane itself, or do you follow the Sydney NRL model, where each large region of the city gets a local club?

Personally, I'd rather the later, with the NRL looking to introduce a Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane, Ipswich-Logan style clubs. You would be looking at smaller, more loyal localised fan bases, but still within the metro TV ratings area. This can be harder, as it requires capital investment from government, local support and local business.

The Brisbane I vs Brisbane II model also works, as has been shown in different comps all over the world. It would take advantage of a large centralised stadium, and all the companies ignored by the Broncos or in rivalry with the Broncos sponsors. You would then expand on the outskirts of Brisbane in large population areas in future.

I guess its up to the commission to work that one out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I expect they will go for the Brisbane 1 v 2 model. Suburban clubs are a relic of the past and I doubt that we will go back there again. As long as the new Brisbane club has points of definition from the broncos it will work well. Naming and branding are going to be incredibly important for this bid to be succesful in carving out a secondary market of Brisbane.

Goddo

Bench
Based on the support for Brisbane, concidering double headers, the Crushers crowds, and those of other codes (in particular the Queensland Reds and Brisbane Lions)....

I would expect they would average somewhere around 26k, similar to what the Queensland Reds get. Not as big as the Broncos admittedly, but sizeable. You would also get a boost to away crowds against the Broncos and Titans.

The big things this bid has going for it will be the:

* expected average crowd numbers, probably around 26,000 mark
* incredable corporate box/support interest, which this bid has already had,
* Suncorp Stadium hosting a game every week,
* Brisbane derby matches,
* huge potential with sponsorships, in Australia's 3rd largest city and
* the large value to the next TV/media deal

ANY bid in Brisbane has this potential, its up to THIS bid to show how it will achieve these things.

You are right, the way they market themselves, the club colours, mascot types of players they recruit, the spirit of the club will be hugely important for this bid to show its strengths.

I guess we won't know how strong this bid is until those details are released (probably around the time of submitting bids). This bid can be unbeatable, but we simply won't know if thats the case until June/July.

Jakemcc

Juniors
The 2nd team will get an automatic 20k+ crowd based on all the other team's fans in Brisbane getting to see their team for a 2nd time each year.

applesauce

Bench
April 1st is the official date of when they are taking submissions and jersey designs for the bid.

I take it up until now designs have been ignored or a submission has not been final.

docbrown

Coach
I made this point on the Ipswich thread re: QLD TV audience numbers and the benefit of guaranteeing 2 spots out of 8 for the 4 F2A games -

Interesting that last week on the Footy Show (yes I watched some of it) that the bloke who was on the Floods Telethon said he supports 3 teams: Cowboys, Broncos & Titans.

Now obviously that's just one guy but I think it's just an example that Queenslanders will tune in and watch more often when a QLD team is featured - not only if they like them but also when they dislike them.

So a 4th QLD team will boost audience and in using that 2/8 scenario, by about 8 million more a year than any other expansion side - simply because of other Queenslanders watching.

hellteam

First Grade
Yep, I go for Broncos, Cowboys and Titans in that order, so does most people I know that are from Brisbane.

This 2nd Brisbane team would be my 2nd team for sure

I think that sentiment is pretty common around Qld. Which is why another Brisbane side is guaranteed good crowds and plenty of support in general.

applesauce

Bench
Broncos, Titans, Cowboys for me. Every week on 9/Foxtel I watch them (or record Broncos matches when I am at the home games).

danmiles73

Juniors
Yep, I go for Broncos, Cowboys and Titans in that order, so does most people I know that are from Brisbane.

This 2nd Brisbane team would be my 2nd team for sure

Likewise, although I think a second Bne team would be 3rd for me. Gotta love the Cowboys.

adamkungl

Immortal
Broncos, Titans, Cowboys for me. Every week on 9/Foxtel I watch them (or record Broncos matches when I am at the home games).

Queenslanders are wierd :p

I have varying degrees of hatred towards most other Sydney teams, indifferent to some, and couldn't give a f**k about the interstate sides..

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I dunno I have a soft spot for the tigers, I usually watch there games. They play entertaining footy and usually find myself watching at least two full games a week, obviously the raiders match and the tigers. Although if I have money on a game, whole different ball game - every team becomes watchable lol

Latest posts